Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10065 - 11/21/00 06:37 PM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Eddie,

It was about 5 years ago when the government said they eventually had to change the plates numbering system. However, they knew they were going to have problems with the nationalist parties and they waited.

A few months ago, they said they would just add an additional letter.

But, in the last minute, the government decided that the new plate will have only the "E" for Spain, 4 digits and 3 letters.

Obviously, all the nationalists complained but there wasn't enough time to change the system. I remember the sales agent who sold me the car 6 months ago telling predicting exactly what it happened.

Antonio

#10066 - 11/30/00 10:57 AM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
mahceee Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas, US
well, i just got back. we ended up driving to san sebastian and across the border to st jean de luz. we had no problems with the madrid plates (we got one parking ticket) and the basque seemed quite friendly. the best part was that the police didn't seem to mind that i floored it all the way!
btw, i don't plan to pay the parking ticket. i assume that it will be billed to the rental company and then charged to my card.
i would also like to add one small fact. National car rental was far cheaper than the others, you only need to be 21 (unlike the 23 age for other places), and they let me use coupons from the US.
ME ENCANTA MADRID!!!!

#10067 - 12/01/00 10:45 AM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
My experience has been good with rentals in Spain. In '99 we rented a Renault 19 (has some silly name like "Gelding" or something). It had the "B" of Barcelona, and we spent lots of time in Madrid without a hassle.

Answering the initial post, you shouldn't have a problem driving to either Galicia or Asturias. In '92 we rented a Renault 25 with Madrid plates, and spent a lot of time in both areas with no problem.

I have never gotten the int'l. driver's license. I have no reason to disagree with the information presented, but it is not an absolute necessity. Just drive safely and you'll fit in fine. Spain isn't Mexico, where a pasty white-boy like me sticks out...

I've rented with Avis both times, and have had nothing but great service and experiences. Other renters may be cheaper, but Avis seems to have been there longer and understand the renting experience and how Americans (if you are American) view the idea of renting a car. Two cases in point: In '99 we popped two tires while doing some "accidental off-roading" in the Basque Pyrenees. Avis paid for both tires, special ordered from France, no questions asked. In '92, we parked under a sappy tree in Granada's Generalife Gardens, and the trunk stuck shut with tree goo...Avis swapped the exact same vehicle for, again, no charge, and again, no questions asked.

No-hassle service is a big help when you're in unfamiliar territory...you might factor that into your plans. Rates? Last year we paid about $100 USD/week for an intermediate car. Book in the US for better rates.

#10068 - 12/01/00 01:17 PM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
MarkB Offline

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Calibasco, I just left Avis' website, which quoted me something like 21100 for a two day rental of an Opel Corsica, pickup Sevilla drop off Madrid. That's obscene, to say the least.

Any danger in just waiting till I get there and finding a nice cheap local shop? I mean, it's always nice to have things arranged ahead of time, but . . . .

#10069 - 12/01/00 01:39 PM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
MarkB - I also have used Avis many times - the going rate is about $120 for 10-12 days unlimited millage. Reserve from US (or on-line if you are not in the US) as mentioned earlier in this thread. Perhaps the reason for such a high rate is what sounds like a 2 day only rental; like in the US - this would be higher based on business/corporate usage where necessity is more important than cost. I didn't look to see the dates you were needing a car - this also could affect the rates although usually it would not.

You might also want to check Antonio's comments about one of those "cheap" shops - it will cost you - possibly big time! Go to the search area & look under car or auto rentals

[This message has been edited by Puna (edited 12-01-2000).]

#10070 - 12/01/00 07:45 PM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
MarkB Offline

Thanks Puna- I seem to have been able to get a quote from Avis for $102USD for three days, pickup Sevilla, dropoff Madrid. Still a ways off from what I'm seeing around here. Hmm. And I hope they don't check the age too closely- I'm about 25 days away from my 25th- I'd hate to pay a surcharge so close . . ).

How long would one expect it to take to drive from Madrid (Airport) to Sevilla? I like the idea of the AVE, but there are two of us, and I'm not sure if I want to spend an extra $80 to save a couple/few hours.

I'd much rather spend it on good food and better beer

#10071 - 12/03/00 03:01 PM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
Mr Ed Offline

Loc: Santa Maria CA USA
Just returned from Spain after two wweks. I rented a car from Aerocity at the Arpt Deisel. for about $21 per day. We put on over 2,000 miles. Yes you need a Internation driving permit, whioch you can get from AAA. I stayed at the Hostal Don Sanchoz in Torrejon de Ardoz, for 9,000 P per day. Great place, clean and located right in the middel of the town center almost. It was across the street from the train station, a block from the bus station and about 6K from the airport. We are planing to got back, to the south east of spain in Feb or Mar. After we left Spain, we went to London for a week. blah, the cost is double of Spain. the orad in spain are far better than the USA, VERY GOOD SIGNS. My last rip to Spain was 30 yrs ago, what a shock for me. somewhat sad, but I guess, one has to move into the 21st century, the art of spannish cooking, will probaly decrease, as the younger crown get into frozen food and fast food.

#10072 - 12/06/00 04:01 PM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
I looked at Hertz' website for car rental. I will pick-up and return the car in Seville-Renfe Station. For automataic, standard car the rate is $22.50 per day. My daughter and I do not know how drive manual car. Is this a standard rate. I noticed there is no automatic for sub or compact car. Any help from the experts is appreciated. Car rental is from Jan 6 -13, 2001.

#10073 - 12/10/00 11:46 AM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
MarkB Offline

Okay, the promised report back on car rental-

Reserved a three day Renault Megane rental via Avis website (with accompanying 15% discount) to pick up at Santa Justa in Sevilla and drop off on Grand Via in Madrid. Total w/o tax or ins. was going to be 19900 ptas. Not bad.

Ended up actually getting an Opel Vectra- diesel four door manual. Two classes above the Megane, but same price (came to ~22000 ptas. after tax, used Amex ins.). The Avis booth is inside the station- everything is filled out there and they give you a key, a parking lot card, and directions to get out. Very quick and convenient.

There are no "drop off" charges in Spain (unlike the US) for one way trips, so you can drop your car wherever you please. We ended up leaving it in Cordoba, and taking the AVE back to Madrid (thank god- after seeing Gran Via, I wouldn't want to endure that in a car). It was a bit curious, as the Avis booth was closed for the holiday, and we were told (by the Hertz folks, later confirmed with a phone call to Avis itself) to leave the key and the parking ticket with the fellow running the newstand across the way). A bit nervous, as it produced no receipts or other confirmations of turning it in, but that's evidently how it works there.

Driving in Spain isn't any worse than any other country, IMO. We wouldn't have seen what we did without a car, and would rent again. But a few lessons learned:

Don't rent a car until you're done seeing Madrid- there is no reason in the world you'd want or need one there. Make use of the AVE- verrry nice.

An Opel Vectra is $#$%* too big to park anywhere, though nicer on the long hauls between cities. (can you say 110 mph on the Autobahn, I meant Autopista ) The night we parked on a side street in Cordoba (taking up more than half the width of the street- even while up on the side walk), I swore every sound I heard was the car being sideswiped. I wish I would have gotten the Megane I ordered.

Diesel is everywhere- don't worry about it if you get it.

Opel Vectras have a curious interlock for reverse. Don't find this out at an inconvenient time.

The need for International Driving Permits is unclear to me- it certainly wasn't required to rent, and some places I've seen it mentioned as merely convenient (not necessary) in case you have to deal with the Policia. I guess $10 isn't bad insurance, though.

And finally (I may have more to say on this later), check out your car for scratches before you leave the lot. I got a damage report slip at the desk in Sevilla, with an x on the rear quarter panel, but we didn't really look- it was pouring at night when we picked it up- examining the car from the outside wasn't really on my mind. The next day, however, we discovered that there was damage on the trunk, rear quarter panel, and some on the rear doors. Much more than that little x would seem to indicate. I'm a little nervous about this, esp. considering the way we checked the car back in. We took pictures with the digital camera, just in case. I declined the Avis ins., and used Amex, so I guess I'll watch for any huge surprises on the bill to see what happens there. I know I'll be sucessful in fighting any claim, but I wish I didn't have to worry about it in the meantime.

#10074 - 12/11/00 12:56 AM Re: Rental Car Rates and Safety (Madrid)
Billings Offline

Loc: Billings, Montana, USA
Does anyone have any advice on whether it makes a very big difference to rent a car ahead of time in the states? I'll be in Spain in January and am guessing the tourist pressures on cars won't be too harsh and my itinerary is also very flexible and I don't want to be tied down, necessarily. BUT, if it's a lot cheaper to rent in advance, I'll do it. Any advice??? Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments