Mailing books from Madrid to U.S.

Posted by: kerrita

Mailing books from Madrid to U.S. - 07/13/04 11:37 AM

When I was a student in the 80's I mailed
boxes of books home from Spain. The place was somewhere off the Gran Via in Madrid. They had a great discount for students and teachers sending books. Who knows more info re: cheapest way to mail books from Spain.
mil gracias
-kerrita
Posted by: mencey

Re: Mailing books from Madrid to U.S. - 07/13/04 09:19 PM

Did the books ever make it to the destination?

Re: Mailing books from Madrid to U.S. - 07/14/04 10:12 AM

Yes, the books made it home. I have a friend going to Spain who plans on buying lots of books and she wants to know the cheapest way to mail them home. Does anyone know how to do so in 2004?
Posted by: Martín de Madrid

Re: Mailing books from Madrid to U.S. - 07/15/04 04:20 AM

I just lug my books down to the main Post Office (on Plaza Cibeles) and go to the door on the south side for packages and mail them from there by boat. It takes about six weeks (to SoCal), as I remember, but it is much cheaper than using UPS. Be sure to box up your books with a good box and not put too many books in a box (smaller boxes rather than larger). UPS is a good place to purchase new book boxes.
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Mailing books from Madrid to U.S. - 07/15/04 05:16 PM

Kerrita,
Tell your friend to be prepared for the high cost of shipping. As Martín said, it is very easy and the staff are very helpful. In my next visit, I plan to bring the books in the airplane with me, or at least as many pounds as I am able! wink

Re: Mailing books from Madrid to U.S. - 07/19/04 02:09 PM

gracias por la ayuda con los libros
-kerrita