Pronunciation

Posted by: wdc202

Pronunciation - 08/05/01 10:39 AM

A simple qusetion on pronunciation.

How does "I speak" (hablo) sound different from "He will speak" (hablo, with an accent over the o)?

Thanks. ... wdc
Posted by: Tia

Re: Pronunciation - 08/05/01 02:19 PM

Hi wdc202!

HABLO (=I speak) - stress the first syllable
HABLÓ (=he/she spoke) - stress the letter O

The accent is needed in the word HABLÓ to show that it´s an exception grammatically. Usually you stress the last syllable but one, when the words last letter is a vowel.

(He will speak = HABLARÁ or VA A HABLAR)

Saludos, Tia smile

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: tiajohanna ]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Pronunciation - 08/05/01 06:00 PM

I have long time ago forgotten the rules to place accents, altgough I can use them by sheer costume. I will not talk about that.

But "habló" is not future, it is past.

Re: Pronunciation - 08/06/01 05:54 AM

Ignacio, Tiajohanna: Thank you both. ..wdc

Re: Pronunciation - 08/06/01 06:58 AM

That´s correct, Ignacio, HABLÓ is "pretérito".

Re: Pronunciation - 08/06/01 08:46 AM

Si, "pretérito indefinido".
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Pronunciation - 08/06/01 10:54 AM

Ignacio: Just for conversation's sake, here are the rules of accentuation:

If the word ends in "n", "s" or a vowel, the word is naturally stressed on the penultimate syllable.

If the word ends in any other consonant, the word is naturally stressed on the last syllable.

Exceptions to these two rules are marked with an orthographic accent.

That's about the simplest explanation you can give/get. Keep in mind, (as I'm sure you're aware) smile there are volumes upon volumes written about this somewhat simple subject...

Isn't grammar exciting? rolleyes

Re: Pronunciation - 08/07/01 04:46 AM

For information on spanish grammar: Gramática para extranjeros

For accents: Gramática para extranjeros - Acentos

Athough it is a personal page, I think it is well documented.

Re: Pronunciation - 08/07/01 07:04 AM

Thank you all so much. ... wdc

Re: Pronunciation - 08/07/01 08:14 AM

¡Parece una página súperbuena, Ignacio! smile

Re: Pronunciation - 08/07/01 10:29 AM

The reference sites you recommended for accents and grammar for foreigners, do you know if there is an English translation available? ..wdc

Re: Pronunciation - 08/07/01 02:00 PM

If you need some help with the verbs, this site is excellent: www.elemadrid.com/spanish_verbs.htm

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: tiajohanna ]

Re: Pronunciation - 08/08/01 03:24 AM

WDC:

Oops! If you are beggining with it, I should have realised you need explanations in English. I did not see any english version in the site, but I have a couple of more places (in English) that may help:

1 , 2

Bye

Re: Pronunciation - 08/21/01 08:33 PM

Thanks to all. It is very helpful to be able to "talk" with experts on specific points. I wonder if Madridman would consider a conference devoted to Learning Spanish?

On another point: can someone please tell me how to translate "El Pregonaro", the name of a local Washington DC Spanish newspaper?

... wdc
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Pronunciation - 08/21/01 09:37 PM

wdc202, I think you mean " El Pregonero <--link (not El Pregonaro wink ) and it means, if my dictionary didn't fail me, "The Town Crier". Anyone else? Am I wrong?

I have considered adding another forum (what?! another?! rolleyes hehehee..) for Spanish Language & Education. Seems we have enough teachers/students here where such a forum could be useful. Anyone else?

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Re: Pronunciation - 08/22/01 05:15 AM

I am not pretty sure of what the town cryer is, but I think MM is right, for Pregonero is the person who cried in the streets of towns and villages for public knowledge, the orders or decissions of the authorities (mayor, king, ...). Today it is only used in Spain for the person who makes the speech in a balcony in front of the people when the local street parties are going to begin (usually a famous person).

Re: Pronunciation - 08/22/01 03:38 PM

MM,
laugh A forum for Spanish Language laugh
¡GUAU! What a great idea. There is a huge amount of knowledge about the subject among the members of this board. They could be an excellent source of information for many of us who study Spanish. I´m certainly not the only one who would appreciate receiving a piece of good advice from the experts here.
Tia (who´s sometimes completely at a loss in the subjunctive rolleyes )
Posted by: Fernando

Re: Pronunciation - 08/23/01 07:25 PM

I'm not an expert (I'm a science man) but the grammar was always easy for me (spanish grammar hehe).

I'll be glad to help anyone here.

Fernando