hard or soft luggage

Posted by: studentgoing

hard or soft luggage - 08/13/00 05:10 AM

What type of luggage should I bring to Spain Hard or Soft? On the one hand hard suitcases seem more durable although heavy. However, soft are lighter. I am afraid that someone with a knife could eaily puncture a soft suitcase or the airline mishandling could tear the suitcase. What are your thoughts. I am going for a year. Any suggestions for brands? Any recommendations
Posted by: Sofia

Re: hard or soft luggage - 08/13/00 10:35 AM

My hard shell suitcase was very much destroyed on a recent flight from Spain. Even the metal frame was bent so badly that it would not close. It looked as if someone threw the suitcase against a concrete corner of a wall. But the three locks held and nothing fell out. The airline had the suitcase "repaired", but for a $200 bag it now looks very bad. It looks like junk.

Our numerous soft canvas bags have always made the trip without damage. The most costly one we have was $60. Nothing has ever been stolen. The bags return dirty, but they wash fine.

In the future, I would only buy a hard shell suitcase to travel with by car.

My friend took a beautiful leather suitcase to Spain. When we picked up our bags in Madrid at the seccion de equipage, I heard her exclaim, "My suitcase has a huge cut in it." It had been severly scratched.

My vote is that you buy a canvas bag and carry your most valuables on board.

When I was a student in Spain, I mailed a lot back to the USA, mostly books. Also, when I left for Spain to study, I went there with very little in my suitcase knowing that I would buy clothing there.

[This message has been edited by Sofia (edited 08-13-2000).]
Posted by: Antonio

Re: hard or soft luggage - 08/13/00 11:14 AM

I agree with Sofia. Airline staff at the airport throw suitcases without any care because they are usually on a hurry. I wouldn't risk to buy an expensive hard suitcase to see it damage when I arrive at the airport.

Furthermore, a soft suitcase is much lighter. This is very important for a student since you will probably take books with you. Remember that you are only allowed to carry 30 kilos in international flights.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com