Spanish to English language in former days .

Posted by: steve robinson

Spanish to English language in former days . - 10/30/12 08:02 AM

I just found an old book in my storage boxes called : Hugo's Spanish Verbs Simplified . It's small , just 90 pages but I used to use it as a quick reference ... Incredible that it translates some things like ' Tú hubiste = thou hadst ' ! Or ' Tú habrías as thou wouldst ' . Vosotros habíais as you or ye had . This guide was published in London in 1905 . One passage reads as follows :

When speaking to one person , the only strictly grammatical form is 'thou' , 'thee' ; but nearly all nations have a special 'polite form of address' . In English , 'you' is substituted for 'thou' or 'thee' , 'your' for 'thy' etc.

The plural form 'you' probably originally implied that the person thus addressed was as good as two or more ordinary persons ; but in modern English the use of 'you , your , yours ' is so general , even when speaking rudely or abusively , that the politeness formerly impliedin the use of 'you' is quite lost . In polite Spanish , every untitled adult , of either sex , is habitually addressed as 'vuestra merced' ( your honour , your worship ) , the plural 'vuestras mercedes' being of course employed when more than one person is spoken to . Though somewhat strange to English ears , this form of address is fairly common in Ireland , and is really no more ridiculous than the English custom of addressing one person by the plural pronoun 'you' .

It goes on to say :

'Thou' and 'Ye' are seldom used , except by Quakers , and in scriptural language . The same cannot be said of 'tu' and 'vosotros' , as Spaniards habitually address NEAR RELATIONS , INTIMATE FRIENDS , ANIMALS and CHILDREN in the second person . But as any adult , even a beggar , is addressed as Vd. , the words 'tu' and 'vosotros' can hardly ever be employed with propriety by foreigners .

WOW ! This book is so interesting in how language has changed !
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Spanish to English language in former days . - 10/30/12 09:46 AM

yes indeed, language is a living breeding thing, it changes with time and place carry on by humans.

If you take a dictionary like one I have Velazquez from just 1974, you see words no longer use today and others use today that were not there. Its call the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language.

Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Spanish to English language in former days . - 10/30/12 10:07 AM

This book often refers to the Real Academia Española as being the definitive authority on the Spanish Language .