Spanish learning sofware other than Rosetta Stone

Posted by: vicki

Spanish learning sofware other than Rosetta Stone - 01/15/10 01:17 PM

Sorry for this mini-flurry of postings, but I just found out I may have the opportunity to use my Spanish skills at work! smile I may get to work with some of our international offices where Spanish is the predominant language (Americas and Spain).

I really want to reconnect those language pathways and get my speaking skills in practice. I grew up speaking Spanish, but really haven't used it much except when I travel. (I know, shame on me for getting out of practice!). Now I am looking to brush up fast. Also, I spoke it as a child, so I am great at "household Spanish", but really need to learn business world Spanish.

I have looked at Rosetta Stone, but (1) I'm not sure it will meet my needs (or what level to start at) and (2) it seems quite pricey. Does anyone have other recommendations for Spanish language learning programs? Is the price about the same for all learning programs of the same caliber?

Any other recommendations? I will check out the blog that has been recommended in this forum.

Thanks for your help!
Posted by: teachertraveler8

Re: Spanish learning sofware other than Rosetta Stone - 01/15/10 04:27 PM

Sometimes public libraries will have Rosetta Stone free to use. If yours does, it might be a good idea to test it out before you buy. If you really want your own, check out Craig's list. I recommend traveling to a Spanish speaking country as the best way to practice, but if you can't, expose yourself to Spanish in other ways...set that DVD to the Spanish language track, listen to Spanish radio and tv(links on this site) Maybe find or start a Spanish discussion group in your city.

Good Luck, I mean, Buena Suerte and if you do end up using Rosetta Stone, give a full report.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Spanish learning sofware other than Rosetta Stone - 01/15/10 06:21 PM

I've heard-tell that the Rosetta Stone program is one of the best. But someone recently sent me something translated using their computer program and it was full of, not necessarily inaccuracies, but rather less-than-common usages. "They say" it's better than the online translators you find.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: teachertraveler8

Re: Spanish learning sofware other than Rosetta Stone - 02/26/12 10:00 AM

How about the Pimsleur CDs?
Posted by: gazpacho

Re: Spanish learning sofware other than Rosetta Stone - 02/29/12 09:46 AM

teachertraveler8,

I personally like the Pimsleur CDs, and they can also be found sometimes at public libraries.

Gazpacho