Work permit - easier or harder to get for independent workers?

Posted by: el viajero

Work permit - easier or harder to get for independent workers? - 09/26/02 10:50 AM

I know it's hard for an American to get permission to emigrate and work for a company in Spain.

Is it any easier / harder for freelancers, such as translators, small-scale web site designers, private tutors, etc.?
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Work permit - easier or harder to get for independent workers? - 09/27/02 12:32 PM

Probably Chica, missmadrid98, and/or Tracy Moral could address this better than me but I'd say it's MUCH more difficult to try to go to Spain as a translator, web desginer, or tutor because you won't be offered a work visa by any one company if you're working here and there and for everyone independently. I'd think you'd need to "latch" on to one particular company willing to offer you work visa and they, upon getting that, you could look for something else in your desired field if wanted. Good luck!

By the way, I'm probably overly, extremely pessimistic about the possibility of "Americans" successfully working legally in Spain. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe I'm just preparing for the worse and if it turns out to be easier then I'll be relieved.

Good luck to you! Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: juli

Re: Work permit - easier or harder to get for independent workers? - 09/27/02 04:18 PM

This is one of the things I'm interested in, as a translator, english teacher, photographer. It's one of the items to research over the next couple of years, and will help shape my next step.

I'll be interested to hear what information is posted on this thread. And likewise will post any info I learn along the way.

Jillita