Teach English work offered: Madrid

Posted by: missmadrid98

Teach English work offered: Madrid - 09/16/01 01:30 PM

hey guys whoever is looking for work in madrid.. my boss needs 5 to 6 more teachers.. she pays 2,300 to 2,600 pts and hour and has tons or work, up to 25 hours a week, please e-mail me if you are interested, work starts in 2 weeks!! as an update i am still kicking ass and i am so happy living here and making this move 9 months ago which was to make the impossible possible and make my dream come true!! also donīt forget, i see alot of posts of new people wanting to make friends.. as always am i here for anyone who needs help looking for work, place to live or whatever, my hand is always extended to those who need it!!

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: missmadrid98 ]

[ 09-27-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 09/16/01 06:52 PM

Hi missmadrid98!! This is great news! But how about some more details.
So they're paying from $12.76-$14.43 per hour and up to 25 hours a week so that's an absolute maximum of $316-$360 per week.

Can we assume that this is an "under the table" position or are they offering legal work visas?

Can you give us the general work schedule and expectations for the potential teacher hired? What is the length of employment?? Is this for 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 1 month, or what?

Thanks a lot for the notice, missmadrid98! This could help several people and hopefully a few of them will be from MadridMan's Spain Message Board! laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 09/17/01 02:44 PM

ya totally hereīs more detail. i started working for her in april. ya she pays very well and itīs under the table, no work visas offered. she pays cash once a month between the 1st and 5th of the month. the work is until june of next year. you teach english in companies. today i started one of my classes. but since i am working at VIPS now i canīt take on 20hours a week, but itīs cool cause i am making money at VIPS so it balances out. ya she pays well you can make very good money with her. sheīs had this business since 1981. she has all hours availible but roughly the timetable are like

8:00am to like 10:00am
2:00pm to 4:00
5:00 to 7:00
and maybe some evening classes.
i was doing 8 to 10 4 days a week ( ya man it was harsh) then 2-4 4 days a week as well
work starts first week of october so please contact me so i can lead you to her!!

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: missmadrid98 ]
Posted by: lucy

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 09/19/01 04:10 PM

MissMadrid98,

How much Spanish do you need to know. I know Spanish how to read spanish and verbally I can get around, but my writing is awful, so is that a problem. I am going to college to get a degree to teach English as a second Language, is that needed or preferred?
]

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 09/20/01 12:46 PM

no you do not need to know spanish well. but are you availible to work like in 2 weeks here in madrid? the main thing is that you are a native speaker, that is what she is more concerned about.
Posted by: Majesty318

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 09/26/01 08:52 PM

Missmadrid, thanks so much for posting that offer! Unfortunately, I can't do it right now as I have to earn some money before I make the move, so I am curious as to whether these are positions that come up annually, or are there months besides October when she might be hiring? Or is it just this October and that's it?
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 09/26/01 09:32 PM

I was wondering the same thing! I'm thinking (hoping...) to make the move in January, do you think there will be positions then, is it just October since it's the beginning of the school year, or just too hard to tell?

Thanks!

GranadaGirl
Posted by: Zitrop

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 09/27/01 01:52 PM

I was also thinking the same thing. I am really hoping there is work in January. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 09/27/01 02:59 PM

ATTENTION all those newer message board members in the USA hoping to work as teachers in Spain!!!!

You might want to visit The Expatriate Café . It's a website (sponsored by MadridMan rolleyes ) to assist mainly those with "American" citizenship with the ins-and-outs of job search, requirements, actual jobs, suggestions, stories, etcetera.

Good luck all! Saludos, MadridMan

[ 09-27-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 10/03/01 01:11 PM

okay work is avalible all year. people are sending me e-mails to hook them up with work like next year. this was just a posting cause my boss needed teachers now. work is availible all year. again, work is availible all year long. i started working as an english teacher in april of this year, so itīs out there you just have to go and find it. if my boss needs anymore teachers i will post it. as of now, she needs teachers like next week, so i am trying to help her find some. you can always contact me before you come and i can see if my boss nees teachers at that time. but like i have no idea if she will need people in january or april of next year. itīs always best to contact me like within a week before you come. all the best!!
Posted by: micheller

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 10/07/01 11:01 PM

HEY MISS MADRID,
I would love to come and work with you...I have no money, but that's fine...I have enough to pay for my flight. Is your boss still looking for teachers? Please email me asap if so!!
Thanks,
Michelle smile
Posted by: Itchyfeet

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 10/08/01 06:36 AM

Hi, I am in Madrid looking for a teaching post but I canīt speak Spanish apart from a few phrases. Would your boss be interested? I am available to work immediately and have a degree in English.

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 10/11/01 05:12 AM

yes there is work still availible!!! please send me an e-mail so i can send you my number and put you in contact with my boss. man i think i am going to start a business doing this i have received tens and tens of e-mails, iīm getting good at this man, i think this would be a great business idea helping people find work teaching english in spain.
Posted by: Shep

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 10/11/01 07:12 AM

hey! i dont know if you still need people, but im in madrid right now and looking for work, this sounds ideal so if you do need more people, can you email me at OyeChato@aol.com. Im 23, english, and my spanish isnt bad! cheers, sarah

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 10/11/01 07:37 AM

Shep, you're asking missmadrid98 to email you??? confused eek Please re-read her above posting about contacting HER by email because they DO need more teaching help. confused

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 10/15/01 05:44 AM

i have received a gang of e-mails!!!! it seems to me that everyone is coming in january!!! i canīt guarantee any work or know at all if there will be any work in janury, but you can contact me by e-mail 1 week before you come and i can see what i can find for you!!!

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 11/06/01 11:59 AM

okay guys. now i have received alot of e-mails and alot of people are coming in january. now if you will be coming in january and are interested in work, please e-mail me your resume, the date when you will be arriving, if you do not know the exact date, roughly tell me when, and title the e-mail RESUME. only if you will be arriving here in december or january. my boss says that she will have some courses starting up in january. so in an orderly fashion, e-mail your resume and put on the subject line of your e-mail RESUME. leave also a contact number and e-mail address!!! good luck!!
Posted by: roses

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 11/13/01 03:32 PM

Wow, MissMadrid:

This is really great what you are doing. Too bad I'm not in Madrid right now... I would have jumped on that offer. You should consider opening up a business. Since you are in Madrid, you could have a web site where Americans pay like 5 bucks for membership or something and then they can retrieve all the job postings in Madrid for Americans who don't have visas... Since you are in Madrid it will be easy for you to find available positions. (teaching, bartending, gogo dancers, construction, au pairs, etc.) Hey if you had a site like that where I could view jobs that I could actually get, I'd pay the subscription fee.

Anyway, good luck and I am glad that your move worked out for you.

Roses.
Posted by: cedwards

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 11/22/01 10:12 AM

Dear MissMadrid 98,

I saw your posting today and wanted to reply. I am in Madrid at the moment (22 November) attending a Spanish school called Formula-Si, which by the way, is GREAT!) and I have been thinking about trying to land a position teaching English, since there seems to be a great demand here at the moment.

I will forward my resume and hopefully we can talk soon.

Best Regards,

Daryl Edwards

I

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 11/23/01 05:12 AM

totally roses!! i havebeenthinking about, itmaybeint he works!!! i have to update my website first i have sooooo much information to post!!!!! i willlet you know when i start my little business!!
Posted by: phillyboy

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 11/30/01 09:21 AM

hey missmadrid...i sent you an email(personal)..i sent my resume and a few quetions since i am pondering coming over anytime now..i dont know if all this virus stuff going on spooked you but let me know if you recievd it and /or i will send it again..impatient in miami...
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 11/30/01 11:08 PM

I'm with Roses!!

If I could see a board which showed me jobs I may actually be eligible for, I'd pay ya too, MissMadrid!!

-GranadaGirl

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 12/06/01 03:38 PM

hey phillyboy..send it to me again, i donīt think i received it!
Posted by: JJP

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 12/06/01 05:22 PM

MissMadrid,

Now that is a great Spanish website (ok, second to MadridMan's)!

Thanks for the link. Your insights on what the tourist (thankfully, so we don't have to bother with "tourists") books are unable to do (useful "local" commentary) have been great.

MadridMan, please accept my humble suggestion: You have an excellent "Links" section - maybe in the future you can add a subsection for all your MadridMans' fan's sites. MissMadrid has an excellent one, and I would guess many of us regulars might have others. A way to expand our community from within (?). Thanks for letting my express my humble suggestion.

You probably get this all the time - but even with the risk of expanding your ego, I have to say you have great site! Thanks...you've found another loyal regular in my message board visits!
Posted by: Tracy Moral

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 12/07/01 12:34 PM

Hey Madridman!

Thanks for the plug on the Expatriate Cafe! Now that I am on winter break, I am devoting a TON of time to my little Cafe...New up and coming section is Apartment Hunting and Online Job Banks...

ALSO...we do have forums...feel free to post any questions you may have regarding teaching English and Living in Spain!

Tracy
Posted by: edr

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 12/09/01 12:06 AM

Tracy Moral, Missmadrid98 and MM,

I've studied all the posts on this site in detail, even did a search on teaching English and have visited the wonderful site http://www.expatriatecafe.com

Question #1:

MissMadrid, congrats on your job success. You sound very pleased. Does this "woman" you work for under the table have any contacts in Barcelona that you could find out about for me? Perhaps she can provide you the name/email of someone who offers similar employment over there?

I'm still planning to move to Barcelona in early Spring. I know this is a Madrid based web site, but there are no Barcelona related forums that compare to MadridMan, so thanks in advance for indulging me.

Question #2:

Tracy Moral and anyone else who may be qualified ... I've studied the posts about working under the table, TEFL courses, etc. It seems that wanting to "play it safe" would be to get a Visa. It seems rather easy to obtain a student visa, provided you show proof that you have signed up and are paying for school, even Spanish lessons.

Since my Spanish is rusty, I'd like to get TEFL certified, goto Spain via a Student Visa, take part time, long-term Spanish lessons (to meet Visa Requirements) and then perhaps teach English "from home" (as you've suggested so many times on the expat site) for a while, get more proficient and then perhaps look for a job with an actual English teaching school? I figured with a TEFL on my resume, I could place an ad in the paper initially and begin to make some money from home teaching English for private families.

I think that would nail several birds with one stone. I could improve my Spanish while living their legally under Visa reqs and make some money on the side while continuing to run my U.S. Internet business from abroad. In fact, as a student, it's legal to work in Spain anyway, right?

My problem is, in all my research, I can't find any Spanish courses in Spain that are part-time and longer term that meet Visa reqs. I've found a ton of short-term courses, like 1 to 4 weeks, for an average of about $120 USD per week (expensive) and that are FULL-TIME only. Naturally, if my Visa were to be considered "invalid" after a 4 week course, it would kind of defeat the purpose.

In addition, attending a full-time Spanish course would leave me no time to run my own California Corp from Spain or teach English from home under the table, let alone any part time work.

Therefore, Tracy (or anyone) can you recommend a decent, acredited school or University that would teach me Spanish in Barcelona long-term, part-time (20 hours per week maximum as I think that's Visa minimum reqs?) for a reasonable (affordable) rate? Are there any 1 or 2 year Spanish courses/classes?

Does this sound feasible? Has anyone else thought of this "plan of attack" for getting to, living in and working in Spain legally - and pulled it off?

This is one issue I did not see covered in any of the topics on this site or on Expatriot Cafe (if I missed it I apologize!)

Thanks! edr

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: edr ]
Posted by: edr

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 12/09/01 12:11 PM

RE: SELF EMPLOYED VISA (related to teaching English as a private instructor).

Originally sent to Tracy directly at www.expatriatecafe.com

Hi Tracy -

You wrote on the Visa page of your lovely Expat site http://www.expatriatecafe.com/visas.php:

----------------------------------------
"In order to obtain a visa for self-employment without having to go back and forth to Spain and without having to need a valid job offer or contract the below requirement is substituted for the above "valid job offer from a company in Spain..." *Remember however, that you will NOT be permitted to work in an Academy or for anyone else for that matter, if you have one of these visa types. You can only work independently.

Copy of the Work Authorization Application (Solicitud de Permiso de Trabajo) filed with the Ministry of Labor in Spain and one photocopy. This document must be submitted at this Consulate General within thirty (30) days from the date stamped by the Ministry of Labor in Spain."
----------------------------------------

Tracy, where do I obtain a Solicitud de Permiso de Trabajo application form without having to go to Spain? Then, when I fill it out do I send it directly to the Ministry of Labor in Spain? What is the typical "turn-around" time for them to respond?

The reason I ask, is according to some really uptight Spanish woman at the consulate in Los Angeles, I had to actually go to Spain, in person, to get this particular form, fill it out, have them stamp it there, then bring it back to the consulate in Los Angeles. She was adamant about this! mad

How ridiculous is that!? Paying several hundred dollars to fly to Spain, simply to get a form and a signature in person, to then return home to provide it to the consulate, to then turn around and go back to Spain seems very unreasonable! I told her that didn't sound accurate and asked her if the consulate could supply a copy of this form. She said they did not have any copies of this form and that she was absolutely sure that I needed to go to Spain in person to obtain one! mad

You, however, are suggesting that we do no have to “go back and forth” to Spain, which is GREAT! laugh

What's the secret? Where can I get this form on U.S soil or on the Internet? I searched far and wide on the Internet and haven't found anything, including the Ministry's main web site at http://www.mtas.es/

There were no forms that I could see for printing out. Based on my research, it sounds as though the woman at the Spanish consulate in L.A. is correct, but I hope she is wrong!

I am self-employed in the U.S. and would like to continue to run my Internet business from Spanish Soil even if I do teach English and study Spanish part-time. Therefore, instead of a Student Visa (and worrying about having to pay for Spanish Lessons for the entire time I’m there), what about this Self-Employed Visa? Or, would I have to be generating Spanish income to have it? They probably wouldn't check? I suppose if I’m self-employed, then legally I’m self-employed!!! ??? Shouldn’t matter where?

Based on all the posts in both Expat and Madrid Man, it seems strange that so many people even slightly worried about working “illegally” or teaching English privately under the table (if that is their intent), wouldn’t apply for this type of Visa. If they don’t need a valid job offer (and I don’t see the high $75k yearly income proof req) then why doesn’t everyone who PLANS to teach English under the table fill out for a self-employed Visa and teach English privately and legally? What am I missing?

Thank you very much for your time! smile

edr

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: edr ]

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 12/09/01 01:13 PM

sorry edr i have no contacts for barcelona! i am glad to hear you enjoyed my site. i havenīt updated it in alomost a year, so this winter break i am putting all the info i have gathered and completely redoing the site!
Posted by: B.J.

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 12/09/01 05:46 PM

let me see, how does this thing work?
( just joined! -see profile)
can't think of anything to say yet whoops!
except hola!

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 12/11/01 06:29 AM

Hey edr...

This is in reply to your FIRST message...I'll get to your second msg in the next post smile

First of all, just by being on a 3-month tourist visa you are legal in Spain, but not legal to work. And if you do obtain a student visa you are legally able to study, but not work.

In order for you to get a longer student visa you must apply to a University or college HERE, within the States and do a junior year abroad/senior year abroad thing. Or, possibly, you can apply to, Saint Louis University , which is right in Madrid (you'll need to research Universities in Barcelona because I am sure there are many.)

But I am sure you've already realized this route is extremely expensive and there's no guarantee that you'll be selected.

Also, you mentioned starting your own business...the Spanish Embassy offers a visa for independent contractors that can work legally. You might want to check into that info. too at VISAS to RESIDE IN SPAIN

The little language schools will not give you the visa you need and what's more, teaching English from your home is EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE. YOu will have to work very hard at advertising and getting to know people.

I still think your best bet is to TALK to a large number of AMerican who are actually teaching in SPain, under-the-table. If you go to the SPAIN-ENGLISH FORUMS
you will be able to contact many people already in SPain, teaching and earning a great living. Find out first hand what's best smile

I hope this info has helped!

OK..second reply...

Unfortunately, you may have to go to Spain first to apply for this type of visa. The above link I gave you for RESIDING in Spain will have all the answers.

If you think of the reason this rule may be in place, it makes sense...Spain wants to have a good idea who its entrepenuers are (heck, I know I spelled that wrong but I am in a hurry! hehe) and might not grant a visa to just anyone, before seeing that there might be a demand for your service. Not only that, but Spain wants to employee Spaniards...so your company must be pretty competitive and useful.

And the reason MOST people will never get this independent contract visa is that it is a LONG process that could take up to a year AND the person applying for it must be a serious, disciplined self-starter. MOst Americans who want to teach in Spain do so for FUN, not for a career.

For more information on starting your own business though, I would talk directly with Jeremy from www.multimadrid.com He's an American with duel citizenship and owns his own business in Madrid.

Good Luck again! By the way...The two best ways to get in touch with me are either by posting a message through the Expatriate Cafe
FORUMS or by e-mailing me directly at tracy.moral@home.com

Tracy
[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Tracy Moral ]

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: vieve

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 12/19/01 03:17 PM

Tracy... do you have an e-mail address??? i've browsed the expatriatecafe site but have some specific questions regarding my situation... i just graduated from college in May w/ a degree in Management & a second major in Spanish education and i want to move to Spain next September or October... can you help?

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 12/19/01 05:16 PM

Hi Vieve...

Here's my e-mail address...don't hesitate to contact me smile

tracy.moral@home.com

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 01/13/02 06:19 PM

missmadrid98! Long time no hear!
Say, I was just curious as to how many, if any, of the people who contacted you through the message board actually got the jobs (or in the process of getting jobs) you mention. Thanks!

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 01/16/02 06:59 AM

dude i have gotten over 100 e-mails. there are alot of poeple that are lookign for work like in 9 months, which i canīt help them with. i can only help people that are here or will be here like in 2 weeks. i donīt knwo how many people are working for my boss, cause i have given her number out like 15 times and no one has ever called me back to tell me that they are working with her or not, sheīs mentioned to me a couple of people i have reffered to her that are currently working for her, but since i talk to so many people i canīt remember all their names, and since no one calls me back after i have given them her number, i really couldnīt say, kind of sad if you think about it.
Posted by: amity

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 01/16/02 07:39 PM

missmadrid, i was just curious if you have a work permit for spain or not. i was looking into moving to madrid this coming year but am stuck trying to figure out work permits. i've already been a student there and have graduated so i'd rather work...thanks....

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 01/24/02 04:13 PM

yes amity i have a work permit and residency. when i arrived to spain i had nothing, but then i got a job at VIPS (which is a restaurant chain in spain) and they did papers for immigrants, so i got my papers through them.
Posted by: jjazzini

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 01/30/02 05:02 PM

What type of english work is their available?
I am Australian from Spanish Parents - they Live in Spain - thinking of going over - what requirements do you need in order to qualify to teach english???
Posted by: Chica

Re: Teach English work offered: Madrid - 01/31/02 01:23 AM

If your parents are Spanish and living in Spain, donīt you have the Spanish nationality as well as Australian?

check out websites like www.elpais.es www.segundamano.es www.infojobs.net www.elmundo.es to get an idea of the job market.

I suppose it really depends on what you want to do for employment with regards to English and also your legal position here in the country. Native speakers of English are highly demanded as teachers here. If you are interested in pursing that route, look into getting some practical experience and even possibly a certificate in teaching English as a second language. It will give you an edge on all the other English speaking natives here who are just in it for the "fun".

Good luck.