cheap international calls

Posted by: filbert

cheap international calls - 02/23/06 07:21 AM

I've been given this info from a guy I met in the UK. Allegedly you can use this service to (for example) call the UK from Spain for 2 pence a minute, without the need for a pc or expensive equipment.

easy dial

If any of you do try this and it works please let me know, the guy did seem very genuine. Alternatively if you find it's a con also let inform me - I can contact this guy again.

Good luck!!!
Posted by: nevado

Re: cheap international calls - 02/23/06 10:19 AM

I can't speak for your particular company, but I can tell you I use something similar where I live (a five-digit code) and it's for real. I just dial the access code, listen for the prompt telling me the amount per minute (usually 2-3 euro cents, sometimes FREE), and the call goes through. I can call the united states and western european countries for under 3 cents a minute, which happens to be cheaper than a semi-local call within the united states. When I receive my bill, the calls are lumped together in one charge and it just makes me so happy to see how little I spend talking for HOURS!!!
Posted by: filbert

Re: cheap international calls - 02/24/06 09:56 AM

Thanks for that feedback nevado. Interesting to see the cheap calls extend as far the States! No excuse for paying 1 euro a minute to overseas countries now!
Posted by: Eddie

Re: cheap international calls - 02/25/06 05:30 AM

I always buy a Tarjeta Telefonica, the one with the I/C on the card. I believe the cheapest one is 6 Euro. My last trip I bought a 12 Euro one; but calling ahead to Hostals and calling back to the U.S., I still had 6 Euro credit on it after a week-long trip (to Santiago for 25 July). So, I gave it to one of my (wife's) cousins. She has a Movil but was able to use that credit to call us back here in the U.S. cool
Posted by: SRedw

Re: cheap international calls - 03/10/06 08:27 AM

I call the US from my cell phone in Spain for 1 céntimo a minute. I have CONTRATO 1 with Vodafone and after 6pm all calls to landlines and Vodafone mumbers are just 1 céntimo a minute. I use EURODIRECT, which is calling a landline, and for 6€, I get 800 minutes.

I looked at my last factura and for 80 minutes and 30 seconds for calling the US, it only cost me 93 céntimos.
Posted by: Rob in Madrid

Re: cheap international calls - 03/14/06 06:53 AM

An easier solution if you have internet is to with Skype! You can't beat free, we in the last few days have gotten the whole family hooked, did a conference call between Germany Spain and Canada. What I think makes Skype so cool is you can call landlines as well.

A good webcam makes it even more personal.

the trade off for free is sometimes you get a bad line, or lose the conection, so I just keep calling, may take several tries but I always get a good line.
Posted by: eltorero

Re: cheap international calls - 03/26/06 09:14 PM

I don't know if it is available to anyone, but when I went on a school trip with EF Tours, they offered a special EF ekit calling card that was pretty cheap and reloadable. It was like a debit card with which you could load minutes. I would google ekit or e-kit or something.
Posted by: La Artista

Re: cheap international calls - 03/29/06 12:20 AM

I have skype on my computer and would like to use it to call home when I study abroad. I have a mac and don't have to get an external microphone, but will my mom on her PC have to use an external mic?
Posted by: CascadaDuSel

Re: cheap international calls - 03/29/06 04:57 AM

they sell at Radio Shac a skyoe starter kit for 9.99 that has a mirophone that you need - any 4 dollar one from walmart will do the trick too.