girl alone in Madrid

Posted by: Indie

girl alone in Madrid - 09/24/03 08:40 AM

Hello as I told before in an other topic. I will be studying spanish for 1 week (super intensive course) from 2 till 9 november. I will arrive in the evening... Never been in Madrid before and I planned to take the Metro to the flat. Is it safe for a girl travelling alone??

greets Indie
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 09/24/03 09:28 AM

Completely safe public transportation. However some streets maybe a little dangerous at night, depending on where you go.

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 09/24/03 10:14 AM

My school (enforex) is near Metro station San Bernardo ? San Bernardino? My hostal is still unknown. the school books it for me.

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 09/24/03 10:21 AM

Never heard of muggins at San Bernardo, although it's in the Gran Via area, which is not so safe. But all this area is safe in the daylight and even in the night, with lots of people in the streets, because it's a lively central area. But be aware for pickpockets in Central Madrid.

The problem in the Gran Via/Sol area is the hallways, once you leave the crowded streets at night to get home. Even though it's would be very difficult that you were mugged, I know, and forum members have experienced, that it's not impossible, hence my advice: Not too important the school situaction, but be careful and ask to get an area that's safe at night.
cool

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 09/24/03 10:24 AM

I´m getting scarier.... frown
Posted by: Andrés

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 09/24/03 02:14 PM

I don´t know the statistics but it would not surprise me if Madrid happened to be safer than Amsterdam. It is one of the safest capitals in Europe, safer than Copenhagen, for example.

Andres
PS: avoid walking by yourself from 3:00 am on.
Posted by: tora

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 09/24/03 02:24 PM

Hi Indie,
seriously, I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. I live pretty close to San Bernardo and I walk home (girl on my own) at night without ever having had any problems.
If you want to feel safer, just check out a route with wide streets and you'll have no problem. In my opinion, this area is one of the nicest in town, and there is people on the street (normal, happy, non-criminal people) at almost all hours.
As Andres said, Madrid is an extremely safe and friendly city - I think you have to be either extremely unlucky or go looking for trouble to get attacked. Hope you enjoy your stay!
Posted by: Castiza

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 09/24/03 06:11 PM

Indie, don't worry about it. I also know the area around Enforex (I live just 10-15 minutes walking from there) and it's perfectly safe. I take public transportation on a daily basis and feel safe in the area walking alone even at 3 a.m.

Of course, Madrid is a big city and things can happen when there're about 4.5 million people around but it's usually small crime like pickpocketing, which can be avoided if you're careful.

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 09/24/03 07:46 PM

Indie

I agree with what has been said, and I don't.

It is true that in statistics, Madrid is probably as safe as Copenhague, Munich or Paris. maybe you'd be safe 99,9999% of the times.

However:

- You are not so safe if you are a tourist. Tourists bring more cash everywhere, and won't ever meet you again because they leave soon. Also, many times they don't denounce because they are on holidays, and, if the criminal was found, they wouldn't come for the trial.

- There are certain areas in the city where the percentage of muggins is 100 more times higher than others, and these are close to Gran Via and Sol, very touristic places and where many affordable hostales are. I won't speak of deaths not to scare more.

If you see these areas you'll probably think I am lying, or at least exagerating a lot. However, I myself get amazed of how safe they seem (and are) in the daylight and in the night, crowded with people, and, on the other hand, knowing of frequent (for Spain) muggins in the area. I have helped some victims, so I know that what we see in the newspapers is true, and probably more, not denounced.

You are right that you're safe in the streets. Where you aren't safe sometimes is in the hallways, where usually hide groups of about three men who do this mugging stuff. There people can't see you and can't help you. And they don't know it unless they read the smallish notes in newspapers.

-There are muggins, and they are not so infrequent to tourists and in those areas. I searched for "muggins" here, at MM's, and I found 36 references. I didn't look them up because it's very late, but you can do the search yourself. MM's got about 3000+ members,and some have been mugged. I agree that the percentage is small, but not unexistant. More for tourists, and more in such areas.

Sorry to say this, for those who have bussiness in the area, but that's how I see it.

One of the threads:

An example of muggings threads, here, at MM\'s.

I think it wouldn't be fair not to say All the truth, but, having said this, I encorage you to come. If you take some precautions you will have safe and wonderful holidays. smile
Posted by: Chica

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 09/25/03 03:20 AM

Quote:
Where you aren't safe sometimes is in the hallways
What Igancio means here are the dark, narrow, side streets.

Yes, he is right. There is alot of petty crime that occurs in the Gran Vía/Puerta del Sol area, particularly focused on tourists.

However, as both Castiza and Tora have stated, Madrid overall is a safe city. I, too, am a woman (hence my board name wink ) and frequent those "petty crime ridden" areas and have never had a problem (knock on wood).

I think it´s more a question of street smarts. If you are a woman, wandering down dark & narrow city streets at 3am, you are asking for trouble (in ANY city in ANY country). Stick to the well lit streets and you will be fine.

Have a great trip, learn alot and have no fear!!

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 09/25/03 03:44 AM

I would love to meet some people, when I´m there. I will only stay for one week, but when Madrid and I will ´"fall in love"... I think I will return later on this year or in the early spring to try to stay there for a longer period.

Thank you for all the respons / advice etc.
I´m looking 4wrd to go there, tengo un poco miedo, I will get over it! wink

Hasta pronto! Indie x x x

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 09/25/03 04:33 AM

Hello Chica,

Long time no write!

Yes, I am speaking of dark side streets as well as what we call "portales" in spanish, I looked it up in the dictionary and it said "hallways". It's inside the first door of the building, before you get to the apartment door. EDIT: I think I recall the name now: Lobby.

Many buildings do not have a nigtht porter or a porter at all, and, unfortunately there is the costume that many neighbours open the door to whoever wants to get in without asking or accepting an answer like "cartero comercial", which simply anules any security measure.

Of course, they don't do this at night, but there are other ways to get into the "portal". For example: you get home, and open the "portal" door, you get ir, and after you three or four dangerous-looking northern africans (usually, but whatever nationality) people take adventage and get in along with you.

In this case, most spanish people would be very happy to reach home, and if so, wouldn't care much about what's left behind (like been aware in case these guys robbed somebody else and call the police). The NEXT person getting in the building finds them INSIDE, where people in the crowded streets can't see them.

I once helped a couple of japanese people who had been robbed by these guys. They had mugged them, taken all of their valuables, and even their shoes!

And it was 200 yards from the National COngress building (I think Calle del Prado, NOT Paseo del Prado), where several policemen keep guard with submachineguns. But they didn't have x-rays to see what was happening INSIDE the buiding, and even if they had seen it, I wonder if they could leave their positions, as this could be a trick for somebody to infiltrate the Congrss building.

Many of the records of muggings happen in this street and others close by, and at least one recent death of a greek tourist (female) who opposed resistance to their taking her purse happened just around 100 yards of the "portal" I spoke about. This building hosts private apartments AND one or several hostel(s).

I am not saying Madrid is unsafe. It isn't. At all. It's probably safer than other european cities (although putting up fast), but there are several "black points" that look extremely safe and aren't safe at all under certain circumstances. Just by knowing this, a tourist can avoid much of the possible problems by living elsewhere, going home with a group of friends(one only person more not enough) or taking a careful look at the "portal" before entering (at least).

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 10/08/03 12:09 PM

Madrid-trip is approaching!!!! I´ll arrive at 19.45 and I´m thinking about taking a TAXI instead of the Metro.

Guess that´s safer... although I´m concerned about the honesty of the taxi-driver! ???
Posted by: mick nick

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 10/09/03 06:39 AM

frown What about the barmen and waiters? When are you going to wonder what nasty things they are likely to do too?

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 10/09/03 07:37 AM

I think she means honesty in fares, and it is no foolish think, because many members have complained before. There are honest taxi drivers and there are others that are not.

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 10/11/03 09:49 AM

That´s right Ignacio! I mean the fares.

Oh well... still doubting.

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 11/10/03 09:52 AM

being alone outhere wasn't scary at all!

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 11/11/03 03:16 AM

That's why I feel so uncomfortable when speaking of some dangerous streets in Central Madrid. They are crowded, are funny, ..., they look safe, and they are... for most of the time.

In the wee hours, in some streets' dark halls and alleys, however, among the sorrounding people and cheers, several people a year are mugged, stabbed, and even killed. You can see this in the newspapers ... if you are lucky.

I think I am no longer advicing care, because I look like an idiot to those who were lucky enough, and my comments won't help those unfortunate enough, so, it's a waste of time.

smile

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 11/13/03 05:07 AM

Ignacio, it's good not be positive, çause danger is everywhere!

Guess the places I've been were crowded the whole day long. The only thing I needed to take care of were the pickpockets.
Posted by: Flymistr

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 11/16/03 11:00 AM

Indie,
What did you think of Enforex? I am currently studying there and I am curious how you liked the school and the accomodation?

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 11/18/03 03:12 AM

Yo Flym, however Enforex should be a good school, I already quit after 2 days. I had the feeling Enforex is more like a student factory, with prefab teachers. There is no time for personal contact and I did not have the feeling I was a person, but more like a number.

The logiment though was perfect. 3 bathrooms 2 toilets and the house was very clean.
So I had a nice time afterall, I just stayed for 1 week and enjoyed Madrid.

I would not recommend the school to others, because of the teachers, especially one in perticular. His name is Fausto... I called him Vampiro, he is scary!

Good luck, hope your experience is way better.

x Indie
Posted by: sel

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 11/18/03 11:32 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have no experience with Enforex, but if you want a great school, the Malaca Instituto in Málaga is wonderful. I am returning in February for my third visit and again in June with one of my kids for my fourth and his second visit. It is a first rate school plus the city of Málaga is relaxed and well located for exploring southern Spain. wink
Posted by: joemoshe

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 11/27/03 02:15 PM

I've visited Madrid twice in the last 4 months.. I love it... It is a clean city and I consider it safe.. Make sure you take the simple precautions in public areas. Other than that it's all yours to enjoy.

Joe.
Posted by: Fernando

Re: girl alone in Madrid - 11/27/03 03:43 PM

Do never pay more than 15 € for a trip from Barajas airport to San Bernardo (it may raise somewhat more if there is intense traffic). Ninety percent of the taxi drivers are honest hard-working people, but there is also a percentage who will try to make the day if you are a tourist and don't know how expensive the trip is.

What if the bill raises up to 50€? Say "wait a minute, I'm going to call the police". I would be surprised if he dares to wait smile If so, call police. They will manage it, and who knows, you may get a free trip as a present laugh

Fernando