I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid

Posted by: rgf

I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/14/01 04:34 PM

Since we've all heard/told the negatives about safety, let me tell you the positives. I've never been a victim of any street crime in madrid, and this trip was no exception. There were no flower bearing anybodies in Madrid or Sevilla, no bump/grab wallet scams, etc. In fact, maybe the cold/rain keeps the opportunities for street crime much lower: you aren't strolling and people watching/being watched as much. Wallets are beneath heavy buttoned coats, etc. We walked in the barrio de santa cruz after midnight, and of course around Sol, plaza mayor etc. til one or so (yeah, I know, big partier, huh!). The only rip off was the usual taxi s--t, but it wasn't outrageous.
Posted by: El Boqueron

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/17/01 12:35 PM

Well, it doesn't look like rgf's thread is about to compete with the 100+ posts on the pickpocket thread that keeps scaring people who have never been to Madrid or Spain. So I would just like to add my voice and say I have never been robbed, mugged, abused, ripped-off (I don't think so!), or otherwise made to feel unconfortable or threatened in Madrid, or anywhere else in Spain. And, in country that gets 70 million foreign visits a year, I believe that's the norm.

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/17/01 01:34 PM

OK, so let's all share our "how I was safe in Spain stories." Like the time you were drunk out of your mind and had thousand peseta bills hanging from your pockets and no one robbed you... or the time you hitchhiked and, instead of being assaulted, you were invited to someone's house for lunch, or the time you left your package in a bar and the waiter came running after you, oiga, oiga! etc! Let's hear 'em!
Posted by: Majesty318

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/17/01 09:56 PM

This is semi-unrelated, but rgf's way of saying "running after you" reminded me of it. One of my friends in Salamanca was out doing laundry with her roommate, which entailed carrying a huge duffel bag of clothes across Avenida de Portugal and to the center of town. Well, on the way back apparently her bag was not securely closed. A little old man came running after her calling "Rubia, rubia!" and waving her underwear that had fallen out -- when she looked back there was a trail of bras and underwear through the street!
Posted by: Kurt

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/17/01 11:48 PM

I felt safe in Madrid and in Sevilla during the Feria (I think because everyone thought I was a German. ).

Kurt, the Irish-American
Posted by: rhonda

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/18/01 07:16 AM

I feel really safe in Madrid as well. However living in a city and visiting a city are 2 completely different things. I guess it's different for me.
But is it a good thing to feel safe all the time? Probably not eh?
Anyway, I feel safer in Madrid than in most north american cities. It's an awesome city, very rich with culture, activities and people. I really hope that petty crimes do not deter tourists from this city, that would be such a shame.
Posted by: Jen

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/18/01 11:37 AM

rgf-
true story-
In 1991 I was hitchiking from Sevilla up and over through Portugal and back again. To make a long story short, my friend and I (otra chica) were picked up by an extremely nice and generous man (x-torero turned super bible beater) who brough us to his home to meet his very gracious Swiss wife and to spend the night. It was late at night, we were broke and I was actually a bit roughed up from a scooter accident in the Algarve. Anyway, he assured us that everything would be ok, and our gut instincts told us so as well, so we went along. When we got there, they served us wonderful sopa de mariscos (filled with wonderful mariscos that he had caught that day!), set us up with fresh, flannel sheets for the night, and in the morning they served a wonderful breakfast. We spent the morning playing with their children, then he took my friend and I to the nearest highway so we could continue our journey back to Sevilla! Oh, and to boot, he sent us off with our own personal New Testament en Espaņol! We could not have been luckier in the sad state we were in! I would not necessarily recommend this type of activity (Do not try this at home), but we had a great time and quite the adventures! I have countless stories about the kindness of strangers over there. On a down note, however, one time when we were all packed up to go to out of town for the weekend ( backpacks on, etc...) I noticed that my hiking boots had been untied or cut off my pack. I figured it must have happened when crossing the Triana bridge. It was not smart to have had them dangling from the pack, so I asked for it. Again, do not try this at home!
Happy travels-
Jen

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/18/01 05:28 PM

I love that story about the meal, the overnite, and the good send off! Now, who would WANT some used hiking boots cut off a backpack? sheesh!
Posted by: Nicole

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/19/01 03:52 PM

I always felt totally safe in Spain - all over Spain. I frequently travelled by myself and never had a thing stolen. ever (and I admit, rather sheepishly, that I stumbled home alone at 5 in the morning reeeeally tipsy with alarming frequency that year).

I also add, that I am not encouraging anyone get drunk and wander home alone, even though I did it often and was fine.

You cracked me up with the underwear story. how embarrassing. I hope it was first string underwear and not second or third, nappy, been washed ten thousand time and it shows stuff).

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 01-19-2001).]
Posted by: caminante

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/22/01 09:21 AM

In two years in Sevilla, and several weeks in other parts of Spain, I have never had anything stolen. And in five + years in New York City, I can say the same thing. I also spent time in France, Ecuador, and Italy without any problems. But on New Year's Eve, during a month-long backpacking trip through a dozen countries in Europe, we were drunk in Rome. My friend put down her bottle of cheap wine to signal for a cab, and a bum snuck in and walked off with the bottle. That was the only thing we lost on the trip. But, while I was in Ecuador, my family's house in Massachusetts was broken into and my stereo was stolen.
Posted by: Asterault

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/22/01 01:42 PM

I too will add to this theme: One night in Barcelona after many wines in the Barrio Gotico (the supposed 'crime' section), I lost my wallet somewhere.

I called the bank, visa, everybody and canceled the cards at 5 in the morning.

2 days later a nice person called me at work telling me she had my wallet which she found on the Calle Escudellers. I went and got it with everything still inside.

I've never had anything stolen in Spain. NYC yes, a couple things.
Posted by: mimi

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/23/01 03:42 AM

I have just returned from travelling all through Spain (I loved it!!). And as a sole female traveller, I felt completely safe. I even stayed in Puerto del Sol and felt safe. I was extremely relieved that nothing happened to me. I guess, I walked with confidence and didn't take a bag/purse with me. That would be my only recommendation. Just enjoy Spain, and be cautious, as you would anywhere else in the world. cheers mimi
Posted by: chopchi

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/23/01 09:43 AM

Don't you think the time of year/weather has to do w/all of this? Crime drops off during the colder weather,business was so profitable during the summer that now it's time to relax and make plans to ambush those summer tourists!!!!!!!!!11
Posted by: mclarke

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/23/01 10:09 AM

I have only been in the U.S. for a week and I already missed the night life in Madrid and other cities my daughter and I visited. You have pickpockets all over the world. In fact during the inaugural celebration ( I live in metro D.C. area - Virginia) newscaster were giving tips how to prevent from being pickpocketed. In order not to be a victim, one must act that you are living in that city. My daughter and I ventured into some neighborhood that the senyora said "be careful". We were fine because we dressed and acted like residents of the city. In fact, when we were in a so-called unsafe area in Madrid, my daughter warned me not to speak in English and when she speaks in Spanish, pretend that I understood. All the cities we visited, even Algeciras, we were out late in the evening or even early morning, 1:00 am. One thing that I can say, I did not have to worry of flying bullets coming from nowhere. I guess the only worry I had was the ETA bombings. I do miss now walking in the evenings and the neon lights and people on the streets.
Posted by: SandyS

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/24/01 02:19 PM

I'll be in Madrid two weeks from today and I can't wait! I'm going to be with my sister, and since we're two women traveling alone, I wanted to know which neighborhoods we should stay away from in Madrid. I read that the Gran Via and Chueca areas are dangerous at night, is that true? Are there any recommendations you can make for where we should go, or stay away from, at night??

Re: I felt safe in Sevilla and Madrid - 01/27/01 10:29 AM

When you read through other posts on this board, you will see that most central areas in Madrid are safe, even late at night, as long as you are careful about your surroundings. Random acts do happen, in Madrid and any city, but this board agrees that in general, you will feel safer in madrid than in NYC or LA etc. Chueca is rocking at night. The Gran Via can sometimes be a bit deserted, but you won't be strolling at 2 am: you will be walking, arm in arm, purposefully toward your hostal/hotel!