Wallet Contents Return

Posted by: Denise 2009

Wallet Contents Return - 10/15/09 12:17 PM

Some of you know that during my recent visit to Madrid, my purse was relieved of the added weight of my wallet. In other words, my wallet was carefully extracted from my purse by thieves. (Occurance Sept 13, between Retiro and Neptune Fountain.) We did backtrack and look around the ground and in waste containers thinking that the wallet may have been emptied of it's cash and tossed. No success though.

Yesterday, my mail box held a surprise. An envelope from the Canadian Consulate in Madrid containing a letter stating that the contents (minus the cash) had been forwarded to them by the Spanish authorities. My credit card, license, ATM card and 3 other non essential cards were returned to me.

Although all cards had been immediately cancelled when I discovered their loss, I've had the nagging thought that somewhere, someone may be using them for some unlawful action. Now, I have peace of mind.

I appreciate the Madrid authorities for returning the wallet contents to the Canadian Consulate. My hat is off to them.

Thank you Madrid authorities and the Canadian Consulate.

Regards
Denise 2009
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Wallet Contents Return - 10/15/09 02:43 PM

Denise . I just spent the evening at my local police station .. I discovered my wallet missing this afternoon . I too cancelled the 2 debit cards immediately , but had a large amount of cash in there . My insurance will replace most of the cash but it knots up my stomach that it happened . The police , however , were excellent and i got my " crime report " . Such is life in a big city .
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Wallet Contents Return - 10/15/09 03:10 PM

Denise 2009, while a shame you got "lifted", I'm very happy with your end experience with the Madrid authorities and the Canadian Consulate. There was a silver lining to your storm cloud afterall. smile

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Denise 2009

Re: Wallet Contents Return - 10/15/09 07:16 PM

Oh Steve! That's rotten!! And YOU, almost a native! I saw some tourists with ziploc baggies full of cash and cards, just stuffed in pockets and virtually hanging out for anyone to grab! The thieves managed to get $180E from me (that was about $270 CDN). I did not report it. So sorry!
Posted by: laduque

Re: Wallet Contents Return - 10/15/09 09:06 PM

Steve, so sorry about the wallet!!!! The cash is inconsequential compared to the horrible feeling of being violated!
Take care, mi amigo.
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Wallet Contents Return - 10/16/09 03:40 AM

Thanks guys ... but I always carry my wallet in my front pocket .. I had been to a local supermarket , and then to a pastelerķa about 5 minutes walk from my apartment .. I don“t think it was stolen but i“m not sure . Maybe it just fell out of my jeans pocket .. I was carrying 3 large bags and concentrating on that ..... not on my pockets .