English Speaking Doctors

Posted by: Rob in Madrid

English Speaking Doctors - 05/23/09 12:31 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed elsewhere (here or in other boards) but where does one go English speaking doctors and or healthcare. I'm thinking of switching to a different private healthcare plan. I have Sanitas but the service is crap!!! You call the English helpline and you only get a message saying they'll call you back but they never do.

thanks
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: English Speaking Doctors - 05/23/09 12:57 PM

Where does one go in Spain to find English-speaking doctors? That's a toughy. I'd imagine going through the yellow-pages for your particular city.

Also, go to the SpainExpat.com page on English-speaking doctors in Madrid (I assume you're asking about Madrid, correct?). Just below that list is another of English-speaking Medical Groups (Clinics).

I've found that in hospitals many doctors speak decent English but this is not the case for general health-maintenance.

Saludos, MadridMan

Posted by: Rob in Madrid

Re: English Speaking Doctors - 05/26/09 06:43 AM

I just got off the telephone with Sanitas, you just call the normal line (as vs the english line) and ask to speak English. So I got the information I needed.

Also I am slowly learning Spanish, I'm here long term so I at least need to get survial spanish
Posted by: Daniel-Madrid

Re: English Speaking Doctors - 05/26/09 09:13 AM

Also, if you have the Sanitas directory guide that lists all doctors in Spain, it states whether the doctor speaks a foreign language, and which one.

You normally get the directory posted to you, but if you use the website to search for a doctor it will tell you if the doctor speaks another language.
Posted by: Jamongris

Re: English Speaking Doctors - 05/27/09 02:49 AM

I think I've seen an advert for one in the free English language paper that is in most of the Irish pubs, On Madrid I believe is its name. There are certainly ads for dentists and PC engineers. I do know a good cardiologist, is you specifically need help in this area.

Re Sanitas, I'm with Asisa, completely useless too with regards to filling in forms and obtaining authorisation.
Posted by: pedmar

Re: English Speaking Doctors - 05/30/09 01:46 PM

the US embassy American Citizen Services keeps a list, if the request is from an American citizen. I would imagine other countries should have such a list too,check with your Embassy.