Currency

Posted by: summerstorm

Currency - 03/22/05 01:08 PM

Any advice I can get re: money would be appreciated. What is best: using ATM, converting (where for best rates), using travelers cheques and where to cash them.
I know I must sound hopeless but really I
just need a little direction. From there
I can figure it out.
Posted by: ricardo4u

Re: Currency - 03/22/05 01:24 PM

Summerstorm ; The best by far that I have found is a bank DEBIT card at most ATM's. The rate is international and the service charge is minimal.. DON'T use the money changers at the airport.. they are the most expensive.. Have a good trip ! Ricardo
'

Re: Currency - 03/22/05 02:08 PM

Ricardo,

Thank you so much and for the separate email.
I honestly had forgotten about my ATM card, so it is a good reminder and good info.
Posted by: SFY

Re: Currency - 03/22/05 04:33 PM

Check with your bank before you go - some charge upwards of $5 per foreign ATM transactions. Depending on your bank's charge, you may want to limit the number of times you use an ATM by making larger withdrawals. Even if you have to pay a fee, you will probably still come out ahead since you'll be getting the wholesale conversion rate.

Also, if it isn't already, make sure your PIN is only 4 digits long as this is the European standard. (And they usually only have numbers on the ATM keypads, so if you're using an alphabetical PIN make sure to remember its numerical equivalent.)

Re: Currency - 03/22/05 05:00 PM

SFY, thanks I called my bank right away and got the skinny.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Currency - 03/22/05 06:14 PM

And what did they say??

(psst! I moved your topic here from its original posting in the "Transportation" forum)

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: meencantaespana

Re: Currency - 03/22/05 10:14 PM

A regular debit card is your best bet...I found even at major department stores travelers cheques weren't accepted and so I exchanged them and I had $150 in them and it was only 118 euros...so yeah. Also dont get frustrated if some atms dont work...u will find one...the charge on all of mine were $1 and here they can be $5!!

Re: Currency - 03/24/05 06:55 AM

Called my bank and was told that there is only a $1 charge if I use machines with Star, Cirrus or Plus. Do you know if these signs are on ATM in the city?
Posted by: madridmadridmadrid

Re: Currency - 03/24/05 09:21 AM

Star, Cirrus and Plus machines are all over. I take out money almost every day, and I've never had a machine in Madrid reject my US cards and I've never been charged by a Spanish bank to withdraw money (and I'm lucky enough that my US bank doesn't charge me anything to withdraw money here, either).

My ATM card is also a visa check card, so I can use it in any store, as well.
Posted by: richie

Re: Currency - 03/24/05 09:44 AM

I have a STAR/CIRRUS ATM card and I never got charged touse it in Spain, Uruguay, Colombia, Brazil or Panamá. (but I do get charged if I use it in NY where I got the thing, go figure)