Dressing for Easter Mass in Madrid

Posted by: BeatleGirl518

Dressing for Easter Mass in Madrid - 03/13/05 08:58 PM

Hi!
I'll be in Madrid over Easter, and there's a chance that I'll attend a traditional Catholic mass that Sunday. I know that, in America, Easter fashions include pastels, brights, florals, etc., but is that the standard in Spain? Or would more muted clothing (how I would normally dress for such an occassion) be appreciated? Basically, I don't want to look either too bright or too somber, and I wondered what the norm would be. Also, is a hat nescessary?
Thanks,
Julia
Posted by: JasMadrid

Re: Dressing for Easter Mass in Madrid - 03/14/05 05:47 AM

BeatleGirl, from my experience it seems people dresses up for mass a lot more in the US than in Spain. Jeans and a T-shirt is just fine.
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Dressing for Easter Mass in Madrid - 03/14/05 06:07 AM

Julia writes:
Quote:
I'll be in Madrid over Easter, and there's a chance that I'll attend a traditional Catholic mass that Sunday. ... I don't want to look either too bright or too somber, and I wondered what the norm would be. Also, is a hat nescessary?
Some people dress up; others don't. But tee shirt and jeans might be viewed as a falta de respeto. You won't see many "pastels, brights, florals, etc." in Madrid Easter Sunday, partially because Easter is so early this year but also because one doesn't see many Madrileñas wearing brightly colored outfits except perhaps at weddings or other festive occasions.
No! A hat is not necessary.
BTW
Many Churches depart from their normal Sunday Mass schedule on Easter Sunday and just have a Misa Mayór at about 11:00 AM
Posted by: Fernando

Re: Dressing for Easter Mass in Madrid - 03/14/05 08:50 AM

Almost everything is ok (unless you are attending a special mass like a wedding, a mass for someone who has just passed,...). Some dressings are certainly unappropiate like swim-baths (believe me, I've seen it), very short trousers or skirts, etc...

In general, the more "well-dressed" you are, the more appropiate, but don't be afraid about it because it is really difficult to be "unappropiate" if you apply common sense wink

Fernando
Posted by: pim

Re: Dressing for Easter Mass in Madrid - 03/14/05 09:02 AM

Julia,

No, we definitely don't do the "everyone wear pastel colors" that I experienced in the States. It was quite funny, at the Easter mass that I attended, as we say here....¡todos parecíamos 'pasteles'! eek (=we all looked like cakes!) wink
Posted by: BeatleGirl518

Re: Dressing for Easter Mass in Madrid - 03/14/05 10:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'm glad I don't have to wear something reminiscent of the Easter dresses I wore as a kid...LOL. It was rather tough to imagine stylish Madrid women dressing like 'cakes!' Just can't believe people would wear bathing clothes and shorts to church... how crazy!
Anyways, thanks again!