Bringing home swords

Posted by: whyssb

Bringing home swords - 04/12/04 12:47 PM

Has anyone recently brought back swords to the US? I would love to bring one back for my son, and know better than trying to carry it on. Am I better off packing it in checked luggage(and declaring it) or is it worth the hassle to have it shipped?

Previous threads have mentioned availability of swords in stores in Toledo, but does anyone know of shops in Madrid that carry them?
Posted by: aarni

Re: Bringing home swords - 04/12/04 03:13 PM

I had some friends over from the States recently and they wanted to create a little 'Spanish corner' in their house. There is an excellent shop on the Paseo del Prado, opposite the museum and they have all the business, even though it's all from Toledo it's actually cheaper. As for taking it (them, they bought loads) home, they were worried, but nothing happened. It was all packed up and checked in.
Posted by: esperanza

Re: Bringing home swords - 04/12/04 05:58 PM

I recently returned home with a group of students some of whom had bought (large) swords in Toledo. They had no problems bringing them into the US. They were packed and checked in (and declared). Hope that helps... smile
Posted by: whyssb

Re: Bringing home swords - 04/13/04 01:42 PM

Thanks for the reassurances! My 12yr old son has his heart set on a sword but my hubby was concerned about bringing one home. Hopefully I'll be able to find a nice one that will fit in my suitcase.

We will be starting our trip in Madrid, flying to BCN, flying to Sevilla, driving to Fuengirola and lastly flying from Malaga back to Madrid enroute to home. Daytrips to Cordoba, Granada and Ronda.

Aside from Madrid and Toledo, am I likely to find sword shops elsewhere so I don't have to lug it around from the beginning of our trip? Thanks for everyone's help!!