What to wear in Madrid?

Posted by: DanaD1966

What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 02:03 AM

I will be traveling to Madrid, Spain as a student. I will be there for two months (late January through mid March). Not only is this my first trip to Spain, but it is my first "big" trip anywhere!

I am a female who will be living with a host family and want to be sure and respect the traditions and culture expected of women in Spain. I've done a small amount of research, and there appears to be some taboos, such as no flip-flops, no T-shirts, nothing too revealing, etc., etc. Is there any truth to this, and would those of you who have traveled to Spain elaborate on the issue of clothing? I'm not a "flashy" dresser, but fear that what may be acceptable here in the US, may unintentionally offend those in Spain.

I am also unclear on the weather in Madrid during those months, which would obviously make a difference in the way one would dress.

Thank you.
Posted by: Miguelito

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 03:17 AM

Hello Dana,
the weather will be cold in January, and maybe some good days in february and March.
T-shirts are OK, I don't know what are flip-flops, but here girls wear almost everything.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 04:25 AM

I don't know what a flip-flop is either, but I can say that girls get pretty sexy many times. Many use extremely short skirts or tight t-shirts, tight pants, and so on. SOme use leather or lycra.

I think you can use anything as far as your b*tt is covered (or semi-covered), hehe. smile

Of course, many times use shirts and manly trousers, to look more professional at work or fancyful (they can get pretty elegant), but you can see any style in the streets.

¡Que lo pases bien! Have fun! laugh cool
Posted by: mikey

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 08:22 AM

Flip-flops = sandals.

But not the designer ones. More like the plastic ones you take to the shower.

They're called flip-flops because of the noise they make. 'Flip flop'

:p

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 09:19 AM

Well, I would definitely NOT recommend flip-flops then. People is accustomed to seeing nude flesh (up to a point), but not to seeing things that are too "unfashionable" at the streets. Unless in the beach or a pool, you'd be stared at.

However, stilysh sandals will be welcome everywhere, and won't look out of place, specially if the climate is hot or even mild by when you arrive. Now, sometimes my friends dance with open shoes at the discos. But not the kind that make the flip-flop noise. wink
Posted by: Fernando

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 09:34 AM

Anyway, it would be impossible to offend a spaniard with what you wear wink

But for certain your dress style will make people judge you for the bad or the better. Flip-flops are not commonly used except in the swimming-pools.

My suggestion: Wear what you want, and once you get here watch what people wear and buy whatever you would like to wear of what you see.

Fernando

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 09:51 AM

If you wear flip-flops in January everybody will stare at you eek eek
I must tell one thing we found really ugly and unfashion is to wear socks with sandals as lot of tourist do.

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 10:15 AM

Weather will be very cold in January, sometimes better, most worse in February, milder (almost spring) in March.

I wouldn't use open shoes by then.

You won't offend anyone, but Miguelito was right: Wearing f-f in the streets would make you look "unclassy" to our eyes.
Posted by: Indie

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 10:21 AM

Actually flip-flops were the fashion gadget of this summer (2003) better call them CHANCLAS instead of sandals. When you name them SANDALS it´s sounds to left-wingish / alternative.

But I agree... don´t wear them in january, people will think you are crazy! :-)

(the real english synonim for flip-flops are: thongs, mules and slipper)

greets

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 10:25 AM

Ha,ha, Indie. But first tell'em where you were: surfing at Tarifa, ¿no?

Regards. laugh

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 10:31 AM

Yes Ignacio, Tarifa, but Amsterdam (which is quit HIP and fashionable) is near my hometown and all the girls were wearing flip-flops overhere as well, in all different colours, so to speak :-)

and incredible expensive ones too! wink

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 11:27 AM

Wow...who knew that the term "flip-flop" would bring such conversation! Thank you for responding, and a special thanks to those of you who defined "flip-flop" so well!

It sounds like the weather will be too cold, so I shall bring boots and tennis shoes instead, leaving the casual sandals at home!

It also sounds like clothing is not really an issue for tourists in Spain, as most anything is acceptable. That seems to contradict some of the information in my travel books (dated 2003), but I will trust all of you. Again, I am not a flashy dresser. I just didn't want to unintentionally offend.

Thank you all!
Posted by: eduardo

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 01:20 PM

Young Spanish women wear very little clothes, and the tighter the better. Bare mid-riffs are very commonplace. Low-cut blue jeans with WIDE bellbottoms are still very popular as well, which can be worn with sneakers (preferably Pumas or Adidas). Perhaps your guidebooks were referring to smaller towns that might be more conservative (though I doubt that too). In the winter, they do dress more warmly though, including the still-fashionable down coat (which only a Spanish girl can wear without looking like the Michelin man), so flip flops would be strange. By the way, you can wait until February for the "rebajas" season and stock up at all the Zara, H and M, Plimkies, Berskhas, etc.
Posted by: that_girl

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 07:03 PM

It seemed every young person in Madrid was wearing flip-flops this past summer! 3 of us from San Francisco joined 4 from Madrid (3 guys, 1 girl) for tapas - guess who was NOT wearing flip flops. Seems we San Franciscans, even being from "Cali" you know, like, where the beach is, were ill-prepared for the heat wave... We all had a giggle about that.

...Syd

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 08:12 PM

I'll believe you, although I never saw that in Madrid at night, but maybe I go to "not so young" people ambients or I just didn't pay attention (much less probable, because that would jump to my eyes).

More in this line, I happened to read today the left part of a magazine I begun time ago (weekly "El Jueves" of 6 to 12 of August), and guess! The first sketch I read, by "profesor Cojonciano" speaks about flip-flops being fancyful this summer! El Jueves website.

Wow!

Although the drawing of the "chulo de playa" o "lolailo" under it, plus what he says, means to me that he was critizising the trend, and make a joke on it, as "bad taste".

But, after all, at least in beaches, or beach towns, it must have been rather fancyful.
Posted by: JA

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/24/03 10:43 PM

The original name of the flip flops in the 70's was ''hawaianas' or 'havianas'; in any case, if you do a search you will see them advertised under both names.

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/25/03 02:13 AM

Okay...I truly did not mean to cause a "stir" concerning "flip-flops!" laugh I was actually more concerned with appearance in general, and NOT offending the general public in Spain!

It is obvious from what I've read, that I have nothing to be concerned about. I was told though that wearing long sleeves in church would be respectable as bare arms are considered offensive while in church. That was more the information I was looking for!

It sounds like (for a first-time traveler to Spain) that my USA clothing will do just fine, and due to weather temperatures in January through March, I might do well to leave the flip-flops at home!

Thank you for the wonderful advice and information!
Posted by: Chica

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/25/03 03:42 AM

Hi DanaD --

Your USA clothing will most certainly do you fine. I have been living here for almost 3 years and have yet to go on a huge shopping binge. In fact, I still do most of my clothes shopping in the States where I find cheaper prices and an easier time finding appropriate cuts for my body type.

Here in Spain, the cuts on clothing are much narrower, which is fine if you don´t have "child bearing hips" (which isn´t my case).

In reading Ignacio´s and Miguelito´s posts, I am surprised they haven´t asked you out on a date yet since they have practically dressed you!! laugh Ha ha ha! That was a joke guys! wink

However, checking out a few websites might give you a good idea about this season´s fashions. Zara is one of the more popular women´s stores here.

Women here have a tendency to still dress-up more than their American counterparts. It is rare to see a woman shopping in workout gear (sweat suits, etc). If you see one dressed like that, it´s probably me!! ha ha!!

Generally speaking, shoes are worn more frequently than sneakers (tennis shoes)...even with jeans. There is a definite feminine sexy style to the dressing. I am constantly surprised at some of the sheer, tight, or low cut blouses -- sometimes all together!-- (although not as extreme as in Latin America) that women wear confidently in business settings. But they have a way of pulling it off tastefully and don´t give the vibe of being a floozy.

One thing that I tell my friends and family when they come to visit (since you will be living with a family) is to bring a pair of house shoes/ slippers as well as clothes to lounge in. Here in Spain, it´s very common, while at home, to change into "something more comfortable" and wear slippers (not go barefoot) in the house as the majority of the homes do not have carpeting.

Just a little something that might make you feel more comfortable! wink

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/25/03 03:49 AM

This is turning out to be a fashion topic! Maybe we should change the topic name into:
Flip Flops >>> In or Out?

I like this topic, for I really am into fashion! ;-)

btw glad I walk on puma´s as well! laugh

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/25/03 04:38 AM

Chica, ¡Que mala eres! (not sure on how to say this in English. Naughty?)

cool laugh
Posted by: Chica

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/25/03 06:42 AM

je je je Ignacio! Perhaps my joke wasn´t so far from the truth!! Online flirting huh?! wink :p laugh

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/25/03 07:03 AM

Too old for this baby. frown :o laugh

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/25/03 01:07 PM

I am thrilled to have found such fashion conscious people! Thank you Chica for the wonderful information. However, finding a date won't be necessary. My husband will sufice and will be traveling to Spain to meet me towards the end of my stay! laugh Many thanks to Ignacio and Miguelito for helping me get dressed! wink

Chica? If you ever wish to go shopping while wearing sweat suits, then I'm your gal to call!!

Many thanks!

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/26/03 04:52 AM

Hey Chica, your talking about sweat cloths has reminded me that song of Martirio:
Con mi chanda y mis tacones, arreglá pero informal..
I don't know how to translate, sorry, but the sweat suit with heels is another 'hortera' thing like the socks with flip-flops.
About dating, I'ld never beguin it talking about fashion, or probably I would have to go with her shopping!! eek eek

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/26/03 05:04 AM

talking about fashion >>> There is nothing more horrible than boys wearing white sports-socks when they dress casual or in suit.
confused
White sport-socks are only to be wear during sports itself!

So boys...

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/26/03 06:58 AM

Really? So I have been unfashionable until now? Argh!

NO, seriously. I think the same, and in Spain people use to think the same. However, a note:

Most people dislikes WHITE sport-socks, but I wonder why, because I find ridiculous to mix sportware with street clothing, so it would be ANY sport-sock. Obviously, I mean walking in the streets without going to make any sport or taking out the garbage.

Besides, I have got nothing against non-sport white socks. I think they may be pretty elegant, well combined (like with a suit).
Posted by: mikey

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/26/03 09:56 AM

NOOOOO

I have a ton of non-sport white socks... White sport socks are the long ones with the stripes or the ones really short?

I wear white socks all the time, well not at work.

BUT I never wear those short ones unless it's like 100 degrees and I'm wearing shorts and sneakers.

smile

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/26/03 11:35 AM

There are short sport socks, at least in Spain. They use to have stripes as well, but they don't look at all like the socks you'd wear with either a suit or casual wear.

They use to be thicker and made of cotton.
Posted by: Rocinante

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/26/03 07:09 PM

Yeah, well, in Holland maybe.

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/29/03 03:21 AM

No Rocinante people wear it everywhere, but to wear them when you are not supposed to wear them is more like a fashion-failure. Girls will op je afknappen I don´t know how to say this in English... I´ll try... When e.g. a girl likes you on the first site, and see something instantly wrong, a girl doesn´t like you any more - just because of a small detail.
Sounds squareheaded - but that´t how people minds work.

(By the way Im´n not trying to offend people - sorry if I made people feel that way.)
Posted by: fmiketheman

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/29/03 12:10 PM

hey everybody

i know its very hortera on the other side of the atlantic to wear white sport socks.
but on this side virtually everybody dresses that way.

surprised huh? eek laugh

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/29/03 01:34 PM

That's the point I was making. I'm wearing white Hanes socks right now with my white n' blue athletic shoes (New Balance), Levy jeans and a solid blue T-shirt. I'm at work.

That's the way we do things over here. Try wearing a nice pair of Adidas with shorts and black socks over here, and you'll get the same type of stares.

And BTW, a girl who loves me only for my socks is no kind of girl worth my while, ya herrrrrrd! wink

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/30/03 03:41 AM

confused people... this is getting serious! Once again, I did not mean to offend people...

Maybe we should close this topic, B4 this thread will end up in a trans-atlantic-fashion-war...
frown

and all because of a definition of flip-flops...

sorry guyz!

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/30/03 06:06 AM

I don't think there must be any kind of problem. We are speaking on how people in Spain will look at you if you are dressed in a certain way, no who is more fashionable or uunfashionable.

Rocinante:

In Spain, at least, wearing sport stocks (any colour) is a taboo, unless you're going to do any sport or outdoor activity. Same use\¿d? to be the flip-flops otuside your home, a swimming pool or a beach.

I, being spaniard, and a (rather) conservative dressing spaniard consider them absolutely horrible outside their environment, and would hardly pay attention at first a girl with such (in my opinion) bad taste. Of course, if you get to know a person, later you may discover other virtues that makes fashion likes unimportant.

Of course you may think that we/I are/am an old-fashion closed-minded person. But that's how I feel, and I don't think that anybody should feel offended. Just different opinions on fashion, ¿right? smile

I, for example, most times go to office informally dressed, and only sometimes with a suit and a tie, but I simply cannot imagine myself going to work with shorts or bermudas (I hate bermudas) or with sport socks. I may go with a polo, might wear in extremely hot weather a special t-shirt (very odd in me).

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/30/03 12:44 PM

Hey Ignacio, flip-flops have been a fashion this summer between young girls, they were with all kind of colours and designs; you didn't look at the feet, don't you? wink . It's a must in elevators laugh
Also white socks with sport shoes are OK here, and lot of people wears them although they're not going to do sport. But not to go to the job, also in many places by night they don't let you in with sport shoes.
Posted by: La Sorpresa

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/30/03 01:37 PM

I was very shocked at how casual the dress was in Madrid this summer. But, I had never been in the summer before. In spring or fall, everyone dressed so fashionably and classy. This summer, I had all dress clothes and all the girls had on flip flops, shorts and t-shirts.
For the first time ever in Spain I felt over dressed!

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 09/30/03 02:24 PM

It seems this summer there has been a style revolution. rolleyes eek

By the way, I had holidays in April (15 days) and I'll have the rest in October, that's why I haven't been to the beach resorts to see the fashion. I didn't see any flip-flop in Madrid streets thanks God.

Miguelito, I always look at the girls' feet after I look at the rest. Hehe.

As for shoes with sport socks, I wonder where is here, because in Madrid, I always heard and hear it's a big no-no.

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/01/03 02:15 AM

I mean sport shoes, snickers??, (playeras vamos)
About flip flops, if you have been working, maybe that's why you didn't see them, I still saw one girl yesterday with them, probably she didn't watch the weather forecast eek

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/02/03 07:31 PM

I'm well aware Spaniards don't wear white 'sport' socks except in particular situations. I dressed accordingly while was there. And I wish I knew what the hell 'Bermudas' were.

I can tell you this, no one over here would be caught dead wearing those short-shorts, aka hip huggers that only extent about mid thigh, unless of course they were a male prostitute. wink Most men over here wear shorts to the knees or longer. Some young folk wear them all the way down to the ankle, with the white socks pulled up so you can't see the leg. A lot of them speak Spanish too, and have shaved heads, and wear white over-sized T-shirts...

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/03/03 07:27 AM

Ha,ha.

That rapper style is simply a depressing look to me. I'd probably mistake those mates with beggars and give them some small change for a sandwich.

Bermudas. I thought it would be the same in English. In my dictionary: Diccionario.com appears as:

"bermudas
1 nombre masculino plural - Bermudas, Bermuda shorts."

It's precisely those longer shorts almost reaching you knee or (¡my God!) under your knee. eek

Are you sure those people were not in disguise or something?

:p
Posted by: OsoMajor

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/05/03 05:54 PM

" Wearing f-f in the streets would make you look "unclassy" to our eyes."

Flip-flops are tacky here in the US as well. They're only meant to be worn around the pool, shower, or at the beach.

Only trailer trash were them on a daily basis!

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/06/03 01:30 AM

Okay, okay, enough of the flip-flop information! I've got it...leave them at home. eek I would like to clarify though...I was more speaking along the lines of casual sandals. This was prior to my being made aware of the weather in Madrid during my upcoming dates of travel. I made an error in tossing out the term, "flip-flops" and offer my sincerest apologies to the Spaniards I may have potentially offended! I was only making an effort to show respect, which is why I asked. wink

I would consider myself as one who dresses appropriately...more specifically classy, which is why I asked in the first place. I may enjoy wearing my sandals (flip-flops) from time to time, which may or may not include the beach, pool, etc., but certainly wouldn't classify myself as "trailer trash." rolleyes

This topic began as a result of something I had read in my travel books to Spain. It mentioned that open-toed shoes were considered disrespectful, and to use caution in dress. It crossed my mind that if THAT were considered taboo, then maybe I should throw the question out there as to what IS appropriate to wear. I have discovered since, as a result of this website and speaking with those who have been to Spain, that there really is no truth to that. Furthermore...IT'S GOING TO BE COLD during my two month stay!

It sounds like most anything is okay. Gee....do I dare ask about boots??? laugh

Dana

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/06/03 01:44 AM

Ha,ha.

No need to apologize. In fact, I myself admitted that, although I have seen no f-f in the streets, I have been told there were (this summer for the first time) in some cities or in most cities sometimes.

Sometimes topics get a little out of control, because people who did't write first, arrives and give their two cents when the debate is rather old, and it emerges again.

As for people getting offended, at least in the spaniards part, we tend to be emotive and passionate in debates, which does not mean we are angry (although it could eventually lead to). smile
Posted by: Brooklyn

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/10/03 01:20 PM

Wait a minute!! I'm going to Spain tomorrow. So I should leave the quarter-length white socks (anklesocks) at home and buy black socks, even if I plan to spend my time hiking?

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/10/03 05:10 PM

Yep, and don't even think of using a culotte, but a suit, and tie.
laugh
Posted by: Amy11

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/12/03 10:25 PM

wink i think it humorous of the talk on "sport" white socks. what other kind of sock to wear when men and or women are wearing casual clothes? Casual in the sense of going to work, but not in a suit? Most office place situations here in Ca, USA have what is known as business casual. It means to not wear shorts, t-shirts or clothing that you wouldn't wear to church. And the long socks with the long shorts that you see the guys wearing here in the states isn't necessarily a "rap" style of cloting either. i call that Homie Style, pachuco style or just what the punk gangster kids wear.
my trip to Spain i'll be packing comfortable overalls, denim jeans, a few t-shirts and yes tennis shoes and white socks. i am going to leave my skirts and dresses at home for fear of the cold. mi novio and i will be on holiday during the month of November and visiting Barcelona, Sevilla y Madrid. hope every one else will travel well and warmly.

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/14/03 03:06 PM

Most importantly, wear what's comfortable.

BTW

VIVAN LOS CALCETINES BLANCOS!!!
Posted by: el viajero

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/17/03 02:56 AM

Leaving fashion sense aside (as I have none to speak of), what clothing is climate-appropriate for Madrid in mid November? What is the weather likely to be then?

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/17/03 05:13 AM

You'll need a coat or something like that.
It could be cold (0ºC) and it could rain. There can be also good days, but you'll need always at least a pullover. Normally it doesn't snow but in the mountains.
Posted by: el viajero

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/17/03 12:12 PM

Thanks, Miguelito, for the very helpful reply!
Posted by: fmiketheman

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/19/03 08:10 PM

hey everybody

i second rocinante dress comfortably according to season and dress in conform with the situation and thats it.

anyways the madrilenos will know that you're a tourist and will undoubtly respect you more for the character you show than for the clothing you're wearing.

also spain is no longer in the franco era, so tourism is more of quality meaning you dont have to dress according to strict dress codes like if the whole of spain were the vatican.

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/20/03 02:05 PM

Just wanna let everyone know I'm wearing white Haines socks today in the office with my black New Balance sneakers.

The dude to my left has his skull and robot tatoos predominantly displayed with his short sleeved shirt.

I love L.A. fashion.
Posted by: filbert

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/23/03 05:22 AM

Even now in Madrid in October, there is a chill in the air most nights. According to the BBC website forecast earlier this week the minimum temperature was going to be -6C on Friday (they have adjusted this to -4C). So you can believe that later on in the winter it gets cold here - in fact there are ski-resorts only around 40 miles or so from here.
Apologies for those not bought up with the Centrigrade scale. My guess is that -4C relates to about 18 F, but you will have to check this out as my guess is very approximate.

Re: What to wear in Madrid? - 10/23/03 09:37 AM

I think -4ºC = 25ºF
I don't remeber very well but I think 32ºF=0ºC and then there is a conversion factor of 9/5.
Anyway, this week there wasn't any ice on cars or on the ground. The true cold has not come yet.
The ski resorts is because there are mountains, Madrid is 650m high, and the highest mountain in Madrid 2400mts.