Wearing a sarong in Madrid?

Posted by: mCmad

Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 05:01 PM

Yeh, right......pretty dumb question but what the hell.

My brother, in a fit of drunken humour, bought me a sarong whilst on holiday. What an amusing fellow.

I am 42 and pretty fit, and I must admit I think I look extremely suave and handsome in this garment. laugh

However, I am NOT brave enough to wear it whilst walking through London (where I live, cor blimey), as most Londonners have as much fashion sense as a small dried carrot, and have NO sense of STYLE whatsoever wink

Would I have to have a degree in Insanity to attempt to wear this (with sandals of course) in Madrid? Would it make me any more attractive to the fantastic number of beautiful women I see in this fair city?

I do have a pair of very very dark sunglasses so the staring would not be a problem, however the waves of incredulous laughter might make me run away and hide........and running is not a particularly good idea in this garment; well, not the way I tie it anyway.

I only ask as during my last visit to Madrid, sarong wearers seemed pretty thin on the ground.

Should I chance it (very un-British I know) or should I just fugeddaboudit and wear err...trousers.

Regards

mCmad
PS Bet this is the first "sarong" thread
PPS Bet it's the last too.
Posted by: Nicole

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 05:07 PM

trousers.

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 05:10 PM

Not a good start then.

Drat.

I have kilt as well.
Posted by: karenwishart

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 05:15 PM

I'm not sure what fabric your sarong is. Are we talking a southeast asian type floral, hybiscus and fish etc etc.? I purchased a plain natural raw silk large shawl before going to Spain last summer and kept it rolled up neatly in my small tote that I carried everywhere. It was a perfect wrap for cool nights, a perfect wrap for over my bathing suit in a beach town..and on several occasions I wrapped like a long skirt over a pair of shorts to pop into a village church and I looked better than alot of other tourists. In Madrid.. people dress nice; I don't know that I would've have strolled around in it there and it was very plain.
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 05:17 PM

Not sure McMad would look cool with it around his shoulders!

Around your waist, McMad and it might look pants - ha ha!

Jo
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 05:26 PM

You could always shave your head and speak slightly higher than normal.Everyone will think you are David Beckham or hang out with someone with a huge weight problem that way youll look good whatever you wear.
seriously though if you feel confident and happy in a sarong then go for it! eek

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 05:29 PM

ps hi jo confused
Posted by: barry

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 05:33 PM

It's Ibiza you want, dear, not madrid
Posted by: Fernando

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 05:48 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, what a sarong is?

Madrid is a very cosmopolitan city (not as much as London as far as I know), so you may wear whatever you like smile

May be a photo of yourself with a sarong (whatever it is) could make us decide with better judgement and knowledge smile

Regards.

Fernando
Posted by: taravb

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 06:00 PM

Fernando, a sarong is (at least this is what I think it is) a printed rectangular piece of fabric, usually brightly colored, that you wrap around your waist and tie in a knot on one side of your waist.

No...don't wear a sarong in Madrid. Go to the Caribbean instead. smile

And yours isn't the first mention of sarongs on the board...check out this thread: http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000098

smile

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 06:39 PM

I think I'll wear my kilt instead, and save my sarong for the beach. smile
Posted by: Fernando

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 06:46 PM

Ummm, that seems to me a "pareo".

I would say that a sarong is "unappropiate" in Madrid if you are going to walk throught the streets (in the sense that it is not commonly seen). However, it is very used when going to swimming-pools (even in Madrid) and on the coast towns and villages. Also very common (and a sign of well dressing) at beaches.

As far as I know it is mostly considered an informal clothe used when going to the beach or the swimming-pool.

Regards smile

Fernando

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 08:03 PM

can you hear the druuuuum,mmmms ferrrnannndooo

o

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 09:04 PM

gosh,whats happened, golly,aaaaaargh. who gives a .........too uncool

cool
Posted by: taravb

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/27/02 09:17 PM

Yes, Fernando, we use the word "pareo" tambien!!

Tara smile
Posted by: Puna

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 03/30/02 10:32 AM

Females ONLY - pareos/sarrongs - fine for the beach as a skirt or dress = sort of a cover-up. If you have a really nice silk one use it as a scarf/shawl in the cities. The best dressed women in Madrid always seem to accessorize with a scarf.
Males = leave that pareo at home!
Posted by: alabina

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 05/04/02 01:36 AM

HaHAha A sarong!! Before reading the name I read the post and assumed it was from a female! DEFINTELY advice from a chic Vancouverite in Canada...skip the desire to wear the sarong, (maybe in India?!) and wear dockers like everyone else!!
Posted by: SuePycroft

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 05/13/02 06:20 PM

Hey, when you are as famous and rich as DAVID BECKHAM you can follow suit nd wear that sarong in public.je je je. Just out of interest I saw the said David last week buying a beautiful sarong in Selfridges, could this be another one to watch for?
Posted by: karenwishart

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 05/13/02 10:10 PM

Oops...I must have been speed reading back in my earlier post..I totally missed the "suave and handsome". I take back any advice about wrapping a sarong around your shorts when you visit a church!!
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Wearing a sarong in Madrid? - 06/07/02 07:51 PM

Hey, you can be a handsome woman! (Especially if you're "guapa"...) Nevertheless, the connotation is masculine. I think anyone not more than 20 pounds overweight ought to be able to wear a sarong whenever and wherever...

CaliBasco [Who wouldn't qualify under the 20 pound rule]