2 Essential items - compass & flashlight

Posted by: CathyM

2 Essential items - compass & flashlight - 01/16/02 03:58 PM

At the last minute I picked up 2 items that will become part of my requirements for all future trips - a compass and a flashlight.

I purchased a small round compass with a clip/pen to attach to you or your belongings. I attached the compass onto the strap of my daypack so all I had to do was look down on my shoulder and see which direction I was heading. Although I'm pretty good with reading maps, it's confusing when you're walking deep in the heart of a medieval section of a city or driving through a poorly marked town trying to find your hotel.

I also bought an ultra-light, very small but strong flashlight. This was great for peering into the corners of dimly lit churches, getting a good look at where you're walking in the rain at night on wet cobblestones, and even looking inside a Moorish vase! wink
Posted by: IcePick

Re: 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight - 01/21/02 01:47 AM

Great message and advice. I think I will take a mini flashlight. Sure helps when you are in the wrong part of town eek LOL

Or maybe I should use the compass first and then I won't need the flashlight. Seriously great ideas. Parts of this world are not lighted well.
Posted by: zero262quick

Re: 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight - 01/21/02 10:46 AM

You can also opt for a very large, long metal flashlight. It doubles as a defense weapon when you're being mugged laugh
Only joking.

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net
Posted by: Chica

Re: 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight - 01/22/02 04:19 AM

Those are great items Cathy! I also carry a small flashlight when hiking or traveling. Two other items that I find indispensible are a good penknife and wet wipes. Wet Ones produces individually wrapped wipes that I pick up everytime that I am in the states. My husband knows me as "la chica con las toallitas" smile
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight - 01/23/02 12:15 PM

More Secrets Revealed!!
The wet wipes are available in packets of about 50. Its about the size of a package of cigarettes. I opt for the lemon sent version they always come in handy even as a "fresh break" to wipe your face and neck in the middle of a hot spanish summer. I keep them in my waist bag or in my day bag (small backpack). Don't forget a small lock (like Master), that is operated with a key. WHy key?? well, its eazyer to operate in the dark & no numbers to memorize. Oh and the flashlight should have a "constant on" feature and be one handed operation if possible. Get it in a day-glow color, its eazier to find in your bag or in amongst items.
Posted by: Chicagoan

Re: 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight - 01/23/02 01:23 PM

The compass is so indispensable! It saves priceless vacation time that would be wasted on a street corner trying to figure out direction you are headed (and staring at the map looking like a tourist!)

I thought I'd share my two other necessities - travel journal and my new discovery - a few colored perncils, a charcoal pencil and a small pad of paper. Fun when you're dining outside.
Posted by: Eddie

Re: 2 Essential items - compass & flashlight - 01/24/02 05:03 AM

CathyM writes:
Quote:
I also bought an ultra-light, very small but strong flashlight. This was great for peering into the corners of dimly lit churches, getting a good look at where you're walking in the rain at night on wet cobblestones, and even looking inside a Moorish vase!

Are you sure that's a Moorish vase & not a Grecian urn?? It's also useful for finding one's way to the bathroom in the middle of the night in an unfamiliar hostal. eek
I would like to add to your list an alarm clock: not a battery powered one that goes beep beep - a wind-up travel alarm with a ringer that should wake up the dead!
There are also very compact GPS's available at reasonable prices: not much bigger than a compass but they can help get you back to where you started (set a 'waypoint'). rolleyes