what to bring

Posted by: gleece

what to bring - 01/06/01 02:44 PM

Hi. I am leaving Tuesday to study in Madrid for 5 months. I was wondering what to do about packing things like shampoo, conditioner, deoderant, toothpaste, etc. Are American brands of toilitries available at all in Madrid, or if not, are Spanish brands very different?- for example, I read somewhere that Spanish deoderant doesn't have antipersperant. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I have never been out of the US and don't know what to expect at all. Thanks!
Posted by: eight earrings

Re: what to bring - 01/06/01 05:44 PM

hey gleece- are you going with a program? is it thru SUNY? just curious.
Posted by: breibach

Re: what to bring - 01/06/01 05:51 PM

gleece-- I would tell you that any essential items you can get in the US can also be found in Spain. Maybe not the same brand but, hey... experiment. That's part of the total experience. Have fun on your trip.
Posted by: Diana

Re: what to bring - 01/06/01 10:31 PM

The bit about the deodorant is correct, so unless you don't mind feeling a bit damp, you may want to bring your own antiperspirant. You can get everything else there with no problem at all. Many American brands are available, and lots of the Spanish brands are worth trying. (Spanish soaps are delightful.) Have a great time!
Posted by: nevado

Re: what to bring - 01/07/01 12:13 AM

If you use salon shampoo you will have difficulty finding your brand. There's a salon on c/ Diego de Leon near Claudio Coello that sells Sebastian products.
Posted by: chopchi

Re: what to bring - 01/07/01 02:00 PM

In 5 months I bet you will have gotten used to brands that you will long for when you return to USA. Remember you will have all kinds of European products to experiment with. I love Magno soap-the smell and the color/almost black reminds me of Spain.If you really get homesick for American products go down to the shop Taste of America, just up a little from the Hard Rock Cafe......
Posted by: gleece

Re: what to bring - 01/07/01 04:57 PM

eight earrings- I go to Saint Louis University and they have a campus in Madrid, too.
Everyone else- Thanks a bunch! This message board has been very helpful.
Posted by: rgf

Re: what to bring - 01/27/01 10:27 AM

I always bring BACK FA soap from Spain to US. Nice smell!! In Spain you can now get huge bottles of shampoo, cheap. Before, it was worth totting your own stuff. True about the deoderant not having anti-perspirant: weird! The one thing that is shockingly expensive in Spain is aspirin/tylenol etc. Here, we buy it in huge bottles for $5. In Spain, it is cheaper to buy VALIUM than TYLENOL!! (I know from experience!!). So take bottles of pain relievers.