So what do the Spaniards wear?

Posted by: Joy

So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/04/00 03:21 PM

So I've read all these e-mail chains about what to bring for cold weather, and what not to wear if you don't want to stick out as a tourist, but I haven't read anything about what the Spaniards wear.

I'm going to Spain (Madrid, first), Portugal and Morocco at the end of December and into January, and I'd like to know how the Spanish women (30-somethings) dress, so that I might try to dress accordingly. I already wear leather shoes and I don't wear t-shirts or jeans, but is there a particular style that Spanish women have?

Btw, this will be my and my husband's first time in Spain. Thanks, MM and all MM-proponents, for your great tips!
Posted by: nicholas

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/05/00 02:22 AM

hi there joy,
we've gone over this topic somewhat. if you do a search under "spanish and what they wear" you'll come up with three topics that go over the fashion aspect. hope that they help!! have a wonderful time! =)
Posted by: Puna

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/05/00 09:43 AM

Hi Joy, Spanish women of all ages just somehow manage to look elegant in whatever they have on - unless they are the very much older women dressed in all black. Realise this isn't a "how to dress" - more a "what to expect". Have a wonderful time - I'm jealous!
Posted by: Wendy E

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/05/00 04:09 PM

tight black or blue jeans
deck shoes (no socks)
button down oxford shirt, usually in light blue
navy blue wool pullover
if a woman, add pearl earrings and a scrunchie
Posted by: Eddie

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/06/00 05:44 AM

Hey Wendy E:
Don't you want to add a sailor's white cap to that outfit? And why can't us guys wear earrings?
And for the original poster: just dress conservatively and you will fit in fine. If you are going to market you wear your 'go to market clothes;' and if you are dining out you wear your 'dining out' attire. I think Wendy E was 'pulling your leg.' At least I hope that's the case.
Posted by: Nuria

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/06/00 10:42 AM

Why don't you just buy clothes there? Then you won't miss the chance to look like us (Spaniards). The last time I was there (2 weeks ago) I bought 7 sweaters and 5 pants (plus shirts, shoes...) it is so cheap right now that you can fill your closet for a few houndred of dollars!
Posted by: Nicole

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/06/00 12:17 PM

I second Nuria. I would say make your way to Zara (my favorite Spanish clothing store) and pick up a few things there. I love the things I bought there and the prices are not bad.

I have to go with Wendy E, actually. It made me giggle, because I pictured my Spanish friends immediately.

Muted colors - you don't see a lot of bright red, orange etc. Lots of navy, black and combinations of darker brown and cream.

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/07/00 02:56 PM

Thanks all of you for your responses. The funny thing is that it seems fashion doesn't change much. I lived in a small town in France 11 years ago and the French girls dress the way Wendy E described! Except they didn't wear tight jeans they wore somewhat loose, though I wouldn't exactly say baggy, jeans.

I do actually dress fairly conservatively, and I generally wear all black and/or navy blue.

To address Nuria and Nicole's suggestions, I have another question. I am a heavier woman than probably the average European woman my age. I do dress well, but my concern with purchasing clothes in Spain is that they may not have my size. What do you think?
Posted by: nevado

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/08/00 06:16 AM

If you are looking for more career clothing (or Women's styles) try Cortefiel (all over Madrid). There are two on calle Goya, one on Calle Preciados, and one in Nuevos Minesterios toward Cuatro Caminos. They carry sizes up to 16. Also, try Jota Ele (JL) on Goya, Princesa, or Sol (near FNAC). They also carry woman's sizes. If you require larger than a U.S. 16, I'd head to El Corte Ingles.

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/08/00 09:56 AM

Hi Joy,
You might find clothes but if you are a young woman you might not like them. But how fun it will be to go clothe hunting???
Have fun!!

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/10/00 02:24 PM

The main problem I found in spain with find in clothes was shape, not size. Spanish and Italian women often have slim hips and thighs and gain their weight in the front/stomachs (The older women looks like little hens - instead of pears). If that is your shape, I think you will be okay.

I am the ooposite, small waist, and some hips! So finding pants was really a pain, and I just made due with the pants I bought in the States. I would say take a a nice pair of blacks slacks and maybe a long skirt and get a few sweaters and scarves over there.

When my Mom came over and traveled with me in Spain, a lot of the people in the hostels thought she was French, because she wore black gabardine slacks and a blazer. She always looked nice (unlike her ripped jeans, flannel wearing daughter ) and kept warm.

You are really going to have fun shopping over there. Take a few wardrobe basics, and make it grow over there!!

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/10/00 07:55 PM

Thank you all of you for your responses to this subject. Nicole, I think I will plan on buying accessories or sweaters there, rather than bottoms. You're probably right about the shape thing.

Keep the tips coming! Thank you all.
Posted by: momic

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/11/00 10:29 PM

Almost every young woman that I saw in Spain wore a scarf around her neck. Not wrapped to keep her warm, but just hanging to make her look good.
Posted by: MarkB

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/11/00 10:32 PM

And it's that same pattern *everywhere*. Did I miss the fashion memo?

~

Oh, as far as differences between "shapes", I'll have to very much agree. Much to my better half's annoyance, I think, I spent a fair amount of my last trip to Spain studying the difference between Spanish and American women's bodies- and I'll have to say that the biggest difference is the roundness of the aft ends of spanish women as opposed to the triangle shape common to american women.

(just my base observations, of course ).
Posted by: MunchiMike

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/12/00 01:19 AM

Sounds just like the Latin women we have here eh? no coincidence either I'll bet!...Rev. Mike

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/12/00 12:26 PM

Scarf???, shape??? You are loosing me. I've been living in Spain 24 years and I don't have the same perception that you guys have.
Besos...Nuria
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/12/00 01:22 PM

Momic, my ladyfriend, a madrileņa who is about to turn 40, also loves to wear scarves (or is that "scarfs"?? I forget), the kind you tie somewhat tightly around the neck and slightly offset. I love it! Looks very... Mmmmm... nice. (panting!) When I first saw it, I thought to myself, "Hmm.. How French!" (I know. I konw. BITE MY TONGUE!! heehehe..) AND, she's almost never seen without either black or navy blue leather shoes.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/12/00 02:29 PM

That was one of the things I loved about living in Spain and in France. I love silk scarves, and felt I could "get away" with wearing them over there. Here, it seems like a fashion no-no, or looks pretentious or something. Like an American trying to look like a European (God forbid)

So, you feel self-concious. Although, I go ahead and do sometimes anyway, darnit!
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/12/00 08:31 PM

Don't forget the "Jevis" who wear the black skin-tight denims, a sweater with the Arafat scarf around the neck and a beat-up pair of "Paredes". I love "Paredes" and had to laugh when the text series I used at the high school as a teacher had a picture of an ad for them as realia... too funny.

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/12/00 08:36 PM

Oh my gosh. I had totally forgotten about that. how funny!

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/12/00 09:06 PM

What on earth are "Paredes"?

Btw, Nicole, I often wear scarVES (that's for MM) here in the States. My problem is my limited knowledge of different ways of tying them. I always seem to tie them in a square not with the tails hanging in front. I love adding color to my generally black wardrobe with a scarF (singular, MM, got that?). I've definitely never been accused of looking pretentious, but then I'm 30, so maybe I'm "mature" enough that it's acceptable. Who knows what funky fashion norms I break. For that matter, who cares?!

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/12/00 09:08 PM

That's square KNOT, not NOT. Heehee.
Posted by: mimi

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/12/00 09:46 PM

I just want to include another country here. At the moment, in Australia, it is fashionable to wear a scarf. I love wearing them too.
Posted by: MunchiMike

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/13/00 05:02 PM

I seem to recall that scarves and neckerchiefs have been around for a long time and Dear departed John Wayne made them fashionable for men to wear. That little black one that John Voigt wore in 'Midnight cowboy' set me on a black neckerchief run that lasted years! I still have and still wear them, especially here in S.F. when a guy might need a neckwarmer because of sudden fog. There is something cowboyish about them, but for me I like to wear them just because most people can't....'let your freek flags fly'.......Rev. Mike

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/13/00 07:36 PM

I'll say! (I can say that, I lived in SF for a long time. I miss it. Freaks gravitate toward each other there.)
Posted by: Guapetona

Re: So what do the Spaniards wear? - 12/19/00 05:17 PM

Joy: If you would like to get a feel for Spanish fashion trends/tendencies try the Inditex group site. They are the parent company to Zara, Bershka, Pull and Bear, Massimo Dutti and the kids line Stradivarius.
Inditex is a shaping force for what many Spaniards wear. As least it has been for me.
Check it out if you get a chance and follow the links to their chains: www.inditex.com
'Taluego