Late March weather in Madrid AND Alicante

Posted by: tclearyn3

Late March weather in Madrid AND Alicante - 02/07/11 09:23 PM

first, a big shout out to this site, which was such a big help with our '06 Spain trip. Back then, We we searching of my husband's birth mother. We didn't find her then but w/ the help of google and a Spanish social networking site, we finally did!

So, we are headed back to Madrid for 9 days, arriving March 25th. We'll be spending our time between Madrid and Alicante n I am just not sure what to plan for packing just yet. We have never been there outside of summer. I'll be monitoring the weather sites but would love local or seasoned traveler feedback!

Thanks,

Tanja
Posted by: teachertraveler8

Re: Late March weather in Madrid AND Alicante - 02/08/11 11:33 AM

I am only a visitor to Spain, so hopefully the residents will also respond. I have been a few times in the last couple years at that time of year. I was surprised how cold it could be. I learned an important lesson when I checked weather in '09 for Granada and saw that it was in the 60's and 70's in the week leading up to my early April visit, then it was in the 40's and 50's while I was there. I would say pack your layers. It can get nice and sunny, but it can also be rather cool at night. During my April visit last year, most days I needed a light jacket, especially at night.
Posted by: Puna

Re: Late March weather in Madrid AND Alicante - 02/08/11 02:12 PM

Tanja,

I see you are from CA - based on that, you are likely to be cold in Madrid once the sun has gone down. It can also be rainy in March. The above poster suggested layers and I second that! Alicante will be considerably warmer.

And congratulations on having located your husband's birth mother - I think a few of us long time MMers will remember your initial inquiry on this!
Posted by: Rob in Madrid

Re: Late March weather in Madrid AND Alicante - 05/20/11 02:55 AM

This year has been unusally cold and wet, if this keeps up the UK will be the new destination for those seeking warmth and sun! Was actually warmer in the northern Europe than in Spain!!!!