Weather at Christmas in Madrid

Posted by: Jim Costello

Weather at Christmas in Madrid - 09/15/09 10:30 AM

What is the weather in Madrid around Christmas. Do I need to bring heavy winter coats. Does it rain a lot in Madrid in December. Thanks for your assistance.
Posted by: Rodolfo

Re: Weather at Christmas in Madrid - 09/15/09 01:51 PM

Hi Jim

It won't be warm that's for sure. Average highs are 51 and ave. low about 38. It may rain a bit too. Being from NY it shouldn't feel very cold. Dress warm for the evenings. Gloves and a long coat should do it. Don't forget a nice scarf and comfortable shoes and you'll be fine. The city is very alive and beautifull that time of the season.
Posted by: Daniel-Madrid

Re: Weather at Christmas in Madrid - 09/15/09 02:47 PM

It can be cooooooolllllllddddd! Far colder than a lot of European cities that I have visited in winter. For me, scarf, gloves and woolly hat are essential (as well as a good coat).
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Weather at Christmas in Madrid - 09/16/09 01:30 PM

yes it will be cold, and this year looks like its going to be very cold, already 5C in Soria,just to the north.Fall is coming early than usual ....as well as the cold.

However, being and lived next to NYC,so you will be fine, overthere is colder and a lot more snow ::)
Posted by: CascadaDuSel

Re: Weather at Christmas in Madrid - 09/18/09 11:59 AM

If you bring the same clothing you would wear in NY at the same time you should be fine... definitely scarf and jacket!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Weather at Christmas in Madrid - 09/21/09 05:16 AM

Madrid would likely be just a little bit less-cold than New York City around Christmastime. It won't snow, that's for sure, but it will be cold. I don't know if gloves & scarves would be necessary - at least not for me because I'm a hot body - but maybe for some frioleros (cold-blooded-people). But a warm, winter coat is essential. Stepping out of that warm, late-night bar or flamenco show would be a nice, cold, slap in the face too.

New Years Eve can be downright freezing cold so prepare for that if you're in Madrid.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Weather at Christmas in Madrid - 09/24/09 06:39 AM

Originally Posted By MadridMan
Madrid would likely be just a little bit less-cold than New York City around Christmastime. It won't snow, that's for sure, but it will be cold. I don't know if gloves & scarves would be necessary - at least not for me ... But a warm, winter coat is essential.
New Years Eve can be downright freezing cold so prepare for that if you're in Madrid.

Saludos, MadridMan
" It won't snow, that's for sure ..."
Is that what you told the people in Burgos last Winter??

For Christmas in Madrid, I would recommend a raincoat with liner: what the Brits call a 'Mack.' Scarf is optional, but I would have a pair of Thinsulate gloves in my raincoat pockets.

And: believe it or not, New York City (Maritime influence) is usually not as cold as Columbus, Ohio during December/January
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Weather at Christmas in Madrid - 09/24/09 09:05 AM

Unless there are some VERY strange weather patterns in Madrid over Christmas, it definitely won't snow. People in Burgos, well, that's a totally different matter.
Posted by: ladyN

Re: Weather at Christmas in Madrid - 10/29/09 06:41 AM

Nowadays I am always expecting worse weather, since countries around the world are experiencing more extreme and unusual weather (the effects of global warming?)! I don't think it would surprise me if it did snow in madrid this winter...