Gypsy Dancers Barcelona???

Posted by: Silver Traveler

Gypsy Dancers Barcelona??? - 09/19/07 09:21 PM

I am heading to Barcelona as part of a longer trip beginning Sept 25. Today someone who was in Barcelona last summer said "By all means do not miss the gypsy dancers in Barcelona....." They did not remember any details other than the fact a travel tour compmany carried them to see the "Gypsy Dancers". Nothing on the internet that I find refers to the act....anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks!!!
Posted by: la historiadora

Re: Gypsy Dancers Barcelona??? - 09/19/07 11:54 PM

I don't know of any "gypsy dancers" in Barcelona, although I could be mistaken. Perhaps the dance to which the person was referring was the "Sardana" dance which is a traditional catalan dance. I have never seen it on my trips to Barcelona, but I have often read about it and I've seen it on television. It is performed in front of the cathedral in the Gothic Quarter on Sundays.

You can read an earlier post with a description of it by clicking here . Also, there is a You Tube video at this link . If you ever watch Samantha Brown's "Passport to Europe" show, she participates in the Sardana dance during the episode she filmed in Barcelona .

Enjoy your trip! smile
Posted by: madridmadridmadrid

Re: Gypsy Dancers Barcelona??? - 09/20/07 08:13 AM

Surely they were talking about going to a flamenco tablao with dancers, music, etc.--of which there are several in Barcelona. Check out the list here under "Cataluņa":

http://www.deflamenco.com/sitios/sitiosi.jsp?sitio=04&p=s

I don't think anyone would mistake the sardana for a "gypsy dance".
Posted by: Bill from NYC

Re: Gypsy Dancers Barcelona??? - 09/20/07 01:01 PM

Gypsy dancers = Flamenco Dancers?
Gypsy dancers = Sardana Dance?

Go back to the person who was in Barcelona and ask then where the saw the Gypsy dancers (Not a word I would choose to use).

If it was in front of the Barcelona Cathedral then it was locals doing the Sardana Dance. They are certain not gypsies but Catalanes holding onto one of their traditions.

Bill