Wines from Spain - US

Posted by: Bill from NYC

Wines from Spain - US - 10/12/05 01:24 PM

I saw this on another website and posting here in case you are interested and it is free. I just order it today.

http://www.winesfromspainusa.com/WFSUSA/Guide/WineGuide.htm

Bill
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 10/12/05 05:41 PM

I just ordered mine too! Thanks for the notice! Let´s compare notes here in this thread when it arrives and we have time to study int. ¿Vale?

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 10/13/05 08:53 AM

Madridman

When you fly back from Spain, do you bring back some wine?

This trip I brought back six bottles this trip. Five bottles of Rioja wine I bought, I spent 80 euros on. The sixth was given to me by the owner of Hostal Acapulco.

I have some great Spainish wine for the special holidays we have coming up in the U.S. Even better I have some great Spanish wine for this Thanksgiving. laugh

Bill
Posted by: Murdy

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 10/13/05 10:15 AM

This is ICEX's big bet to simplify the sometimes confusing Spanish wine scene. Instead of all the different wine regions (denomicanion de origen), they want to band them all under one flag called "wines from Spain". It's a bit controversial among the wine regions because the good ones feel they will lose out because they will be lumped together with other lower quality wines.

I'll have to have someone send a copy to an address in the States. I'd like to take a look at that too.

Thanks Bill

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 10/13/05 10:57 AM

Quote:
This is ICEX's big bet
Can you give me some info what the ICEX is?

Thanks

BIll

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 10/13/05 06:04 PM

Sure. ICEX is the Instituto de Comercio Exterior, or Spain's foreign trade bureau. It's an official organism that works to promote Spanish products abroad. They are behind many of the special wine tastings and fairs you come across in the States. Obviously ICEX doesn't just promote wine.

The idea of "Wines from Spain" has been toyed with for several years now. Spain was concerned (and with good reason) about the rising popularity of wines from other contries like Chile, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. These are the so-called New World wines, and they are often good and cheap.

Spain is one of those rising stars, and exports to the US continue to grow steadily. But progress has been slower than expected and in some ways quite a bit slower than the other countries. This was sort of surprising because considering Spain's turnaround and its history, things should have been brighter. It's sort of like when you open the door and your dogs race in from under your feet and eat your sandwich.

One reason people felt Spain had difficulty selling abroad was an identity problem. No one knew where to start. The confusing appellation system, where every region has a different name, made identifying a Spanish wine difficult. Maybe people still don't know Freixenet is Spanish (or should I say Catalan! Just kidding Fernando wink ). Commercial experts suggested promoting wines under one name - the country - to avoid confusion. I believe Chile does something like this. It's easier for people to associate the wine with a country rather than some obscure D.O. like Ribera del Guadiana (which is in Extremadura)

There is definitely some logic there, but also some debate. Countries like France and Italy use similar systems to Spain and don't have an image problem at all. I can't understand all the Chateaux this and Chateaux that, and yet, that doesn't affect French marketing. French wine is also much more expensive and shakier in quality. Italy has undergone a similar wine revolution to the one felt in Spain and the boom in the States was huge.

But that may be only part of the problem: Australian wines for example are often quite good and reasonably priced (they are also often sold in magnum bottles 1.5 liters - something which Spain doesn't exploit very well). In Spain, wine is very reasonably priced, but much of it goes sky high when it reaches the States. Some of that has to do with distrbution and tariffs, but when a 10 euro albariño goes for $60 at a restaurant, you begin to wonder what's going on. Wineries will also sell their most expensive stuff to countries like the US. I'm still talking in very general terms here, 'cause I know there is a lot of good cheap Spanish wine in the States too. But the competetive price is a concern that has been voiced by wineries on numerous occasions.

The debate doesn't end there. As I mentioned before, resistence has also been met by the major winemakers in Spain. Regions like Rioja, Ribera del Duero or Priorat can stand on their own two feet and don't really want their wine confused with some ordinary stuff from God-knows-where (I'm a big proponent of many smaller wine regions, by the way, but have to admit that quality consistency does slip at those levels).

So, I know ICEX is behind the campaign, you can check the home page for more. What I don't know is how extensive the "Wines from Spain" is. Most of these regions will also want freedom to roam and promote on their own.

As for the guide, well, let me know what you think. Remember ICEX is there to promote Spanish wine, so everything should sound perfect and spotless and wonderful and all that. But that's OK, a little embellishing never hurt anyone. Plus, Spain deserves a little more attention in this area.

On top of that, it's a free guide! Compliments of the Zapatero Government, I guess! wink

Well, as usual, I was trying to be brief, but I'm a hopeless case.
Posted by: janel

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 10/17/05 07:14 AM

Thanks Bill and Murdy for the info,
I have ordered my copy too. Will be interesting to see how they are marketing it to the US. I'll have to wait till I go there to get my copy though...
Also in case anyone is interested, a good friend of mine has started an English language site about Spanish (and Portuguese wines) Right now I am helping him translate into English the forecast for the 2005 harvest in the varying regions (effect of drought, etc) There are also tasting notes, interviews and stuff like that.
Its at www.catavino.net
Salud!
J.

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 12/09/05 11:02 AM

Did anyone get their copy yet? It been almost two months since I order and now I expect nothing.

I guess I cannot complain about something that is for free.

Bill
Posted by: OsoMajor

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 12/10/05 02:13 PM

One of the major problems with Spain is that the country does not market itself enough, especially here in the US to make it more familiar with the public. When Spain hosted the Olympics in 1992 as well as the Expo in Sevilla, there really wasn't that much exposure here in the US regarding travel to Spain. Yes there was some but not enough.

After everything that Spain has gone through in the past thirtysome odd years regarding it's growth and progress in Europe and the world you'd think that they would market themselves better, especially to a country with big bucks like the US!

Here in California, we're very savy about wine. Of course we're very partial to the excellent wine regions of our state such as Napa, Sonoma, Monterey, Santa Barbara, etc. But wines from Australia and Chile are very popular here, why? ADVERTISEMENT! We have magazines and newpapers writing articles regarding new and upcoming wineries in Australia, New Zealand, Chile and Argentina. Italian wines are very popular as well...chianti classico, barolo, valpolicella (my favorite), pinot grigio is very popular here. Very little about Spain, although if you are a wine drinker you know about Spanish wine and those of us in the know enjoy it very much.

My advise to the Spanish government especially the departments in charge of tourism and commerce is to get the word out! Spend some bucks on ads and commericals out here in America. You ask a typical American about Spanish wines and they'll probably think of sherry...maybe!
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 12/11/05 05:21 AM

OsoMayor writes:
Quote:
... wines from Australia and Chile are very popular here, why? ADVERTISEMENT! We have magazines and newpapers writing articles regarding new and upcoming wineries in Australia, New Zealand, Chile and Argentina. Italian wines are very popular as well... Very little about Spain, although if you are a wine drinker you know about Spanish wine and those of us in the know enjoy it very much.
I would change 'ADVERTISEMENT' to 'MARKETING;' because then it might take cost (or price/value) into consideration. And those people who write articles about Chilean wines are just giving the public what it wants. It's not just in California or the U.S. Wine from Chile has taken a significant market share in the U.K. and Ireland. Why? It's good quality and much cheaper than similar products from France or even Spain.

I also see some wines from former Eastern Bloc countries such as Romania being sold here. But they haven't launched any marketing volley to the public, yet ...

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 12/11/05 10:20 AM

Quote:
My advise to the Spanish government especially the departments in charge of tourism and commerce is to get the word out! Spend some bucks on ads and commericals out here in America. You ask a typical American about Spanish wines and they'll probably think of sherry...maybe!
I only discover Spanish wines by traveling to Spain. I no expert in wines but I enjoy good wines with good food. I came back on my last trip to Spain with five bottles of Rioja wine. Never heard of Rioja until I saw it mention on Rick Steves travel program when he visited Spain.

Spain is becoming as popular travel destination for Americans, just look at the New York Times travel section, almost every month they have an article on Spain. Some of the regions of Spain can become well know for wine, like Tuscany in Italy if the Spanish government advertise it.

Bill
Posted by: OsoMajor

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 12/12/05 10:48 AM

Eddie's quote: "I would change 'ADVERTISEMENT' to 'MARKETING;' because then it might take cost (or price/value) into consideration. And those people who write articles about Chilean wines are just giving the public what it wants."

Bill from NYC's quote: "Some of the regions of Spain can become well know for wine, like Tuscany in Italy if the Spanish government advertise it."

You both proved my point! wink
Posted by: jabch

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 12/12/05 04:03 PM

I agree that advertisement or marketing will bring prices up. For example one of my favorite "affordable" wines from Spain (available in U.S.) is Marques de Caceres - Cabernet Sauvignon. In the U.S., where is not as popular as in Mexico you can buy it for 7 to 9 dollars at Costo. While in Mexico you have to pay 15 to 20 Dollars for the same bottle. Anyway, even if prices were a little higher I'd like to see more wines from Spain in the U.S. and Mexico.

BTW It seems that nobody received a copy of the book right?

Murdy: if your are still interested you can use my P.O. Box address in the U.S. Just sent me a private message and I will give it to you. I suppose mailing you the book to Spain shouldn't be that expensive.

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 12/15/05 12:31 PM

A co-worker who sits across from me just ask me the same question, because he has not receive his copy yet.

Bill
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 12/15/05 01:56 PM

Aside from Capitol Liquors near 10th & New York ave in Washington, D.C., there's a chain in N.J. named Roger Wilco (very popular / strong in south Jersey); but for some reason people don't seem to be interested in wines from Spain. Last year I bought several bottles of a very good Albariño (Denominación de Origen Pontevedra, Galicia) at clearance / Bargain price. This year they have a white wine from Cataluña at similar prices (750ml @ $2.49). They also carry Vinos de Rioja y Rioja Reserva at regular prices.
Posted by: Ryan Opaz

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 12/19/05 11:16 AM

I had mine sent to the states and still nothing. Doesn't surprise me, things go slow here even if they are based somewhere else. As far as Spain getting talked about, I'm getting a ton of questions asked about Spanish wines, the problem is trying to get the Spanish government and Bodegas to realize that promotion leads to sales.
When you talk to wineries here they are very hesistant to offer information unless they know who you are or what you want. Not that I don't understand negative publicity can hurt, on the other hand the more you are talked abou the more people pay attention to you.
Fortunatly people here are starting to realize that publicity can be a good thing, not to mention a new focus on trying to make the "wine routes" more user friendly for travlers.

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 12/22/05 07:22 PM

Thanks Jabch for your kind offer. I'll be in the States over Xmas and was thinking of ordering one while there, but from what I gather, that just may be a total waste of time. If I change my mind, I'll send you my address. Thanks again.

I'm not terribly surprised by the zero response by ICEX. From some of my experiences with them, it's sort of par for the course. It's a shame because they aren't doing their cause any favors. I just hope the book is worth it when it finally arrives.

With or without the book, you can always go exploring for yourself. My latest recommendation is an old-vine Garnacha red wine called Viña de Miedes. Don't worry if you've never heard of it. It comes from a wine region called D.O. Calatayud (in Aragon). This region is moving quickly and its wines still go for a steal.

A toast to you all for a happy and peaceful Christmas!

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 01/09/06 07:24 PM

I received my copy today! smile

I am impressed with the quality of this book. Photographs are gorgeous looking. The wines are listed by region and goes into detail about each one.

For someone like me who does not know much about Spanish wines, this is an excellent book for information.

If you have not order it, it is free, do it. If you did check your mail.

Bill
Posted by: Chica

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 01/10/06 06:09 AM

My brother got the copy that I ordered for him as well. He was very excited about it and was thrilled with the quality of the book. smile
Posted by: Puna

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 01/10/06 04:39 PM

Got mine a week or two ago - informative on wine but the photos are making me weepy-eyed and home-sick! Very well done quide and am ordering one for a friend who is also in love w/ Spain.

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 01/11/06 06:37 PM

I'm glad they finally arrived and that your opinions are unanimous. I'll have to order one myself. Hope they have a good effect on the future of Spanish wine.

Cheers!

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 09/08/06 08:42 AM

I brought back this "old" topic.

Yesterday I received an invitation to attend a Spanish Wine/Tapas tasting here in New York City. For $60 per person, I going to skip it. But for that $60 you can try 300 different Spanish wines. I personally do not think I could try more than 20 wines before I would have to stop.

I did visit the Wines From Spain website. I notice they stopped offering the free book and those of us that did get one should feel very to have this excellent book, the website seems to have current information.

Bill
Posted by: TJGuy

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 09/08/06 03:04 PM

Ha...here in Florida - we have a huuuge distributor of Spanish wines in Boca. Every year, they host this gigantic free tasting at a local wine shop. That is tomorrow...... yeah ha....the bar is stocked with "real Spaniards" as well . . . lots of lisps and throaty "j"s flyin' all over the place.

I'll be thinkin' of ya Bill

Yeah...FREEEEEE

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 09/08/06 04:11 PM

TJGuy

If you find anything good and sober enough to remember the name, don’t forget to share the information with the MadridMan gang. thumbsup

Bill

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 09/10/06 03:57 PM

That's right TJguy. Keep us posted about anything interesting available over there. From what I gather, the event was yesterday. Was it worth it? What am I saying?!!! Free wine!! Of course it was.

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 09/11/06 11:03 AM

Best kept secret - but seems to be widely available IF you search for it.

http://www.nekeas.com/

Vega Sindoa is the name of the wine from Nekeas which is from Navarra.

I don't usually fall in love with wines and will stick with Spanish wines out of loyalty to Spain. BUT the Vega Sindoa blend of 70% tempranillo and 30% merlot is a killer wine - great soft body with a slightly spicey finish.

They have a cab. blend as well but I prefer the Merlot blend

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 09/14/06 09:21 AM

TJGuy

Thanks for the followup.

I am in luck that the Sparrow Wine which is close by my job has and for $7 a bottle. I will give it a try and let you know.

Thanks for sharing!

Bill
Posted by: JAcosta

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 09/17/06 07:23 PM

Quote:
I agree that advertisement or marketing will bring prices up. For example one of my favorite "affordable" wines from Spain (available in U.S.) is Marques de Caceres - Cabernet Sauvignon. In the U.S., where is not as popular as in Mexico you can buy it for 7 to 9 dollars at Costo. While in Mexico you have to pay 15 to 20 Dollars for the same bottle. Anyway, even if prices were a little higher I'd like to see more wines from Spain in the U.S. and Mexico.
In the US you can buy Marques de Caceres at Trader Joe's Stores for a good price

$5 a bottle for white Rioja
$6 a bottle for Rose
$10 a bottle for Rioja

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 09/22/06 08:32 PM

TJGuy

I findly had to chance to open the bottle tonight. I found it to be a good inexpensive wine and thanks again. I will pickup two more bottles!

Also I found out the wine is listed in the Wines from Spain book I received.

Bill

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 09/26/06 05:09 PM

Quote:
Best kept secret - but seems to be widely available IF you search for it.

http://www.nekeas.com/

Vega Sindoa is the name of the wine from Nekeas which is from Navarra.

I don't usually fall in love with wines and will stick with Spanish wines out of loyalty to Spain. BUT the Vega Sindoa blend of 70% tempranillo and 30% merlot is a killer wine - great soft body with a slightly spicey finish.
I'm glad both of you like Nekeas wine. The winery is a good example of what Navarra can do best: make good wine and sell it for good prices. I've had it a number of times in Span under the name Nekeas. I wonder if Vega Sindoa is its label for the U.S. market. Do you happen to kow TGuy?

Quote:
one of my favorite "affordable" wines from Spain (available in U.S.) is Marques de Caceres - Cabernet Sauvignon
On a side note, unless Marques de Caceres is producing a wine I'm not aware of, I don't think that wine is a Cabernet Sauvignon. I mention this just in case someone buys it and is disappointed by the results! smile Rioja does not make wine with Cabernet Sauvignon at all, in fact. It is mainly Tempranillo, often blended with other varieties like Graciano, Garnacha and Mazuelo. If this all sounds like Greek to you, just order "un rioja" and enjoy it.

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 10/01/06 09:11 PM

Murdy

It is possible the wine is named / bottled for the U.S. market. Everything on the label is in English, using high-brow phrases only used to describe wines; it must be written by a native speaker. BUT, there is a sticker on the bottle with the Consejo Regulador D.O. Navarra with Cosecha 2003, AN No. 95222.

You are correct, it may be bottled in Spain under a name for the U.S. market.

I found another wine and ordered a case. I think it has the odd name of COCO. When I get it, I'll post it here. Again, a good economical Spanish wine you don't have to feel guilty about only drinking 1/2 a bottle.
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 10/08/06 11:26 AM

nekeas and Vega Sindoa are spanish wines no doubt; it is purchase in south florida pretty briskly. I am aware of the Spanish wine tastings there under ICEX i went to one at the biltmore hotel in coral gables about 4 yrs ago. There is a wine store use to be by NW 27th that sells a lot but also Crown liquors and ABC stores carry them. I used to live in Miramar;Broward Florida!!!! in New Jersey try Bertelli's in Verona and the best importer is out of SEattle WA wines from spain but i cant recall their names anymore!!!!
well the internet is great i found them!!!sleepless in Seattle here is the link
http://www.classicalwines.com/list.htm they change the name to include other countries: the owners are an American wine importer and his wife is Spanish former tourist board of spain.

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 10/12/06 03:45 AM

Quote:
nekeas and Vega Sindoa are spanish wines no doubt
We knew they were Spanish wines, but what we aren't sure about is whether the label Vega Sindoa (that is, the name) is sold in the U.S. only. Sometimes that happens. Wineries will make, name and label their wines to cater to American tastes. OR they will keep the name but change the labels (color, image, etc.) so that it appeals to the American consumer visually. I've located the wines in Spanish guides and magazines, as well as online, but I've never tried it. I'll have to keep an eye out.

As for the COCO, TJGuy, where is it from? Let me know what you think.

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 10/12/06 10:34 AM

Today in New York City's Metro I came across an article were you can make you own wine. The gizmo is called a WinePod .

Costs around $2,000 and there is a six month waiting list. Also it look like it is from Star Trek.

For that kind of money I can buy round trip tickets to Spain, buy a few case of my Spainish wines while I in Spain and then shipped them home.

Bill

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 10/15/06 09:39 AM

Wow! That looks pretty funky. High-tech stuff aside, there are a number of places which sell wine kits for you to make homemade wine. When I was back in Connecticut this summer, my friend had one and we made Pinot Grigio with some pretty basic elements. The kit comes with everything you need. Unfortunately, the wine was not finished by the time I returned (it takes a few weeks to be ready), but he has since tried it and is still alive, so I guess we did all right after all. I'll see if I can't find the name of the company that sells it...I think you can buy it over the internet.

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 04/04/07 11:04 PM

It seem now Wines from Spain has a newsletter. You can sign up here Signup for Newletter

Also they are still offering the free guidebook, which I have and recommend for those like me that does not know much about the wines from Spain.
Wines from Spain Book

Enjoy

Bill
Posted by: admiral44

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 04/08/07 11:58 AM

Excellent thread!

Here in Philadelphia, there is a restaurant called "AMADA." I've been there several times and they have a very nice selection of Spanish wines and this restaurants versions of tapas to go with them. Both the wines by the glass and the tapas are a bit too expensive but the quality is there. I'll scope the list when next I get there and list them out here.

El Almirante
Posted by: kelitdedevil

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 04/08/07 12:16 PM

Hey, anybody know anything about Bellota? I was given a bottle by a Spanish friend a couple of years ago ... drinkable, but the other day, I marinaded some pork chops in it. Delicious!

I believe it's distilled from acorns? Can I get it in UK?
Posted by: laduque

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 04/09/07 10:37 AM

Liqor de Bellota is a liquor and is served as an apertif...We don't have it available in the States and so bring it home from our travels to Spain...
It's a special treat and our friends love it...

The marinated pork chops sound yummy, but I don't have enough of the precious stuff to us as a marinade....
Posted by: megia

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 05/03/07 01:52 AM

TJGuy, personally I don't have a single problem with spanish wine producers employing their own Merlot, Cab Sauv, Chardonnay, ' Shirah,' etc... Spanish terroir has yeilded the tastiest Syrah's I've ever had, especially from the area around Tomelloso in La Mancha. Anyway, just makes for more interesting wine products. Purists hate it, but as long as spanish grapes remain the majority in spanish wines, i'll be happy! smile

Murdy, the whole ' Wines from Spain,' ' Spanish Wine Cellar,' and other promotions are unfortunately largely promoting only producers that have the money to buy space or participate in the programs. I know this because I work in the Spanish wine industry and have heard many complaints from producers all over spain regarding this. But, this does not mean that the wine featured is not good... Fortunately and unfortunately, there will always be fantastic wine that's hidden away that only a clandestine few will be able to discover.

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 05/05/07 04:08 AM

Quote:
Murdy, the whole ' Wines from Spain,' ' Spanish Wine Cellar,' and other promotions are unfortunately largely promoting only producers that have the money to buy space or participate in the programs. I know this because I work in the Spanish wine industry and have heard many complaints from producers all over spain regarding this. But, this does not mean that the wine featured is not good... Fortunately and unfortunately, there will always be fantastic wine that's hidden away that only a clandestine few will be able to discover.
I agree with you 100%. The Wine from Spain campaign features many excellent wines. I just have mixed feelings about it for some of the reasons you mentioned and for others. But in the end, if it helps as a kind of starting point for people to become familiar with Spanish wine, then it is certainly a good thing.
Posted by: JdeBerenguer

Re: Wines from Spain - US - 05/06/07 12:05 PM

The favorite at our house:
Marqués de Cáceres--we recently had a case of Rioja 2001, which everyone loved.