Madrid: Where to get Pig's Ears?

Posted by: arguelles19

Madrid: Where to get Pig's Ears? - 11/17/04 06:02 AM

Does anyone know where that Tapas place is in the Huertas/Sol area of Madrid which just sells pig's ears? I went there once and can't remember where it is exactly
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Madrid: Where to get Pig's Ears? - 11/17/04 09:57 AM

I don't know, but pig's ears is a pretty popular tapa and you can find it in sauce or grilled in many bars or tapas bars.
Posted by: Murdy

Re: Madrid: Where to get Pig's Ears? - 11/17/04 04:57 PM

Ignacio is right
Posted by: La Sorpresa

Re: Madrid: Where to get Pig's Ears? - 11/18/04 08:59 AM

Are you thinking of La Oreja de Oro? I think it is closed. It was across from one of the Abuelo (sweet wine and shrimp) places.
Posted by: Mongo

Re: Madrid: Where to get Pig's Ears? - 11/18/04 09:09 AM

Oreja de Oro is closed on weekdays. They are open from Thursday night until Sunday afternoon.
Try La Zapateria across the street. They have several delicious varieties of "orejas".
Posted by: La Sorpresa

Re: Madrid: Where to get Pig's Ears? - 11/18/04 12:02 PM

AH!! Weekdays only. That would explain why my friend thought it was closed completely.

Re: Madrid: Where to get Pig's Ears? - 01/04/08 12:30 AM

Oreja de Oro has since closed permanently, even though they are featured prominently on the latest Rick Steves visit to Madrid. The owners wanted to retire.

It was remodled and reopened with the same name under the management of El Abuelo. They still have (almost) the same menu.
Posted by: Andrés

Re: Madrid: Where to get Pig's Ears? - 01/20/08 12:38 PM

Ummhhh La Zapateria is a very good option, I would vote for Las Bravas too. But please neophyte!, be aware that pig's ears though pretty discouraging by name turn out to be very similar to bacon if only tastier and tenderer. Give them a try, we are dealing with very addictive material here!

Re: Madrid: Where to get Pig's Ears? - 11/29/08 05:49 PM

Since Oreja de Oro reopened, their old cook Jaime has opened his own place called "Oreja de Jaime" just a few feet away on Calle de la Cruz.

He has all the old menu items from 'Oro' and also of course Jaime himself.