USA: Where to buy queso manchego?

Posted by: carole-wis

USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 05/04/04 06:44 PM

Can anyone recommend a good place to get queso manchego to bring back to the US? Are there different kinds, brands? I was in Madrid in October and one night had the best chesse sandwich I'd ever had (and I'm from Wisconsin!!) and they told me it was made from queso manchego. I'm going back next month and would like to bring some back for my family. Gracias.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 05/04/04 09:15 PM

In the USA, Sam's Club carries it for sure. I've also found it in at my local "gourmet market" ( Weiland\'s & North Market ) but expect to pay pay pay. It's quite expensive so prepare yourself.

While I'm no expert on Manchego, I don't think there are many (if any) different varieties of Manchego cheese. I think Manchego is Manchego is Manchego. As for brands, I doubt there are many of them and am confident that they're all good. I believe you can buy it through www.Tienda.com on the web as well as on www.LaEspanolaMeats.com .

Good luck and enjoy! Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: deibid

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 05/05/04 03:24 AM

There are a few kinds of Manchego, it all depends on the strenght of its taste:
-Tierno: soft and young cheese (soso, for me)
-Semi-Curado: average strenght
-Curado, viejo: the best,I'm sure that THIS is the one you enjoyed.
Posted by: La Sorpresa

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 05/05/04 08:17 AM

Also, check Costco and your local grocery store in the 'fancy cheese' section. You know the one...all kinds of cheeses at no less than $10/lb. laugh
Posted by: amycynthia

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 05/05/04 03:17 PM

They also sell queso manchego in some Publix stores in the U.S.
Posted by: megia

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 05/05/04 08:26 PM

Hello,

In CA you can buy manchego cheese in many different specialty food stores, or even in Trader Joe's. Pavilion's, and some nicer grocery chains carry it too.

Also, in AZ you can buy manchego cheese at Basha's, Fry's, and some other grocery chains. AJ's market in Scottsdale carries it as well.

I have only seen semi-curado / tierno here in USA. I've *never* seen curado...
Posted by: gazpacho

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 05/06/04 10:27 AM

In the Detroit Area:

Nino Salvaggio's
Posted by: Chica

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 05/06/04 11:30 AM

In the Philadelphia region try ACME Markets, Genaurdi“s, and DiBruno“s House of Cheese in the Italian Market in Philadelphia. smile
Posted by: Eros

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 05/06/04 04:43 PM

In San Fran area. I bought some manchego at Beverages and more (Bevmo) and Andronicos.
Posted by: that_girl

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 05/07/04 07:41 PM

Also in San Francisco, Rainbow Grocery has a lot of different cheeses, not just manchego, from Spain & the Basque country (including France). It's not too cheap, but it's available, and certainly a yummy treat.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 05/17/04 09:02 PM

WHO was it that told me they recently found Manchego cheese in their local Kroger grocery store in the USA??? I think it was Gazpacho. Well guess what!! I went today and YES! THEY HAVE IT!! FINALLY! It was $16/pound eek but nice to know they had it onhand. Somehow, I doubt they sell much at that price and since it's relatively unknown - but this is a good start for "exposure". smile

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: notyor

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 09/23/04 04:46 PM

for the boards Brit contingent, saw Manchego in Asda last week wink :p
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 09/23/04 06:42 PM

Nice one notyor cool

Which store did you find it in? One near to you?
My nearest is Huddersfield, but it's almost as quick to get to Oldham. Not that I'd go all that way just for cheese of course rolleyes

I've checked to see if they have manchego available for on-line shopping, but nooooooo frown

Nice to know it's available somewhere though incase I need a fix.

Thanks.

Jo
Posted by: Booklady

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 09/23/04 08:44 PM

Code:
 Can anyone recommend a good place to get queso manchego to bring back to the US?  
Carol, I purchased a couple of wheels at the supermarket of the Corte Ingles located in front of the Hotel HUSA Princesa. No problem bringing them in either. I also bought a Tetilla, a Galician cheese which is also very delicioso!
Good trip!
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 09/26/04 09:02 AM

For those in UK, Sainsbury's do it in their 'Taste the Difference' section, but at eek £13.93/kg eek .. I don't think so rolleyes frown
Posted by: mig914

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 10/10/04 08:04 PM

If you live in the Pacific NW, you can visit The Spanish Table. Also you can shop online at www.spanishtable.com

Excellent quality and service!
Posted by: Kathyrine

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 10/10/04 11:22 PM

In Texas at the Central Market (gorment market) there are a few differnet types of manchego. My father loves manchego and some every week.
Posted by: DJC

Re: USA: Where to buy queso manchego? - 10/10/04 11:33 PM

You can contact Foods from Spain, a division of the Trade Commission of Spain at 405 Lexington Ave, 44th Floor, New York, New York 10174-0331. In addition to having all kinds of information about Spanish food products, they put out the Food from Spain News 3 times a year which has great articles and ads about products from Spain and who to contact in the US.