Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..

Posted by: filbert

Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/10/04 07:28 AM

Apart from the Menu del Dia (which offers great value normally daytime) I tend to avoid dining out at night to save money. However I have found that Chinese restaurants offer good value and it is possible to have a 2 or 3 course meal with wine for 15 Euros. Is it possible to dine out for less in Madrid?
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/10/04 08:51 AM

Define: "Dining Out"

Are you asking about a sit-down, cloth napkins and glass glasses place with a waiter or would accept "tapeando" or going for tapas as "dining out"? You can OFTEN spend less than 15 Euros per person by going to one place, ordering a couple tapas and a glass of wine for 15 Euros or less. You may even do better if you're sharing with another person - at least have more of a variety.

Antonio and I went to a place between Opera and SOL and had a LARGE plate of Lacon (kind of ham) and potatoes and another large plate of sliced chorizo with potatoes. We MAY have also had a plate of 6 croquetas. We also had a pitcher of sidra for a total of exactly 20 Euros for the two and I couldn't eat all there was (truth is, I held back because these were intended to be just a snack and NOT my meal of the evening - which I was to eat in another couple hours).

So you see, it is quite possible to eat well. The above place, which the name escapes me (Antonio! Could you please offer some details, names, corrections to my above information?), but it was sit-down place with cloth napkins and a waiter. Decent and spacious place too. This palce was clearly not on the "tourists" list of places - I only saw Spaniards inside.

Other places, you can also go to a place like El Brillante (located UNDER the Hotel Mediodia across from the Atocha train station) and have a LARGE fried squid sandwich, patatas bravas, and several large mugs of beer for much less than 15 Euros either standing at the counters inside or outside on the terraza if it's open.

I think you can also SEARCH this forum using keywords like MADRID CHEAP RESTAURANTS for other, previous postings and recommendations.

Good luck and enjoy!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Fernando

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/10/04 11:36 AM

Avoid chinese restaurants!

There are some bright exceptions, in which you can taste some of the best chinese and cantonese recipes, but in general, chinese restaurants serve the worst quality food available in Madrid.

You may try tapas as MM has very well spend, but there are hundreds of places were you can have dinner for 15 € or even less. I know americans don't like it (becuase it is american food, but understand me, I like it becuase I don't eat it at home) but I like Foster's Hollywood, an american food restaurant (originally founded by two american expatriates in Madrid). I was there yesterday, and I had a quesadilla, and a half pound bacon burger with french fries and salad, and a coke (free refill, which is rare in Spain) and a chocolate cake, for 15 € laugh I really couldn't enter throught my home door because of all what I ate laugh

But there are other places. The BEST you can do is to stop a local, ask him if he can speak english, and if so, ask him a place in the neighbourhood specifying how much you want to spend. We spaniards really like to go out to have dinner with friends, so the best expert is a local for sure!

Fernando
Posted by: filbert

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/10/04 12:32 PM

Thanks for the advice guys!
I must admit that the Chinese I used in the Arapiles zone seemed quite good for the price, so if I fancy Chinese food in the future I´ll stick to that one.
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/10/04 12:35 PM

laugh laugh
Isn't a sin to be in Spain and eat Chinese? eek

20 Hail mary's for you! 10 if you go to VIP's!

MadridMan, please dig up the name of that wonderful restaurant, I am planning my next trip and I realize that the Euro's strength will undoubtedly limit my eating establishment choices.
Saludos,
Carmen
Posted by: GoMadrid

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/10/04 04:09 PM

La Finca de Susana behind the Congreso de Diputados is very attractive, has pretty good food, and is going to cost less than 15 Euros...certainly at lunch. It is well worth the money, and usually has a line to indicate that others agree that it is a good value.

And if you like paella, the Champagnería Gala at 22 Calle Moratín is very, very reasonable and has some of the best arroz in Madrid.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/10/04 04:19 PM

CALLING ANTONIO!! Where did you take me between Opera and SOL?: [EDIT: It was "Taberna de los ángeles at Costanilla de los ángeles street]. And GoMadrid, I have to agree with you 100% about La Finca de Susana. GREAT place. A REAL restaurant and very affordable - not sure about their evening meal prices, though. This was another great place that Antonio took me to. That Antonio knows ALL the best places. He also introduced me to a place in Huertas called "Restaurante La Sanabresa". You'll find it reviewed here in this category as well as in my MadridMan\'s 2003 Madrid/País Vasco Trip journal. Just hit Ctrl+F and type SANABRESA and you'll find my review.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Chica

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/10/04 06:51 PM

When you arrive in Madrid, go to a kiosk and buy the Guía de Ocio...there is a complete restaurant listing in the guide that also indicates the expense of the restaurant... There are lots of inexpensive restaurants where you will surely spend less than 15€ if you order an appetizer, main plate and the house wine... smile

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/10/04 07:03 PM

The best arroz (rice) and paella available in Madrid (to my know and my taste) is in Casa Gerardo (C/ Alberto Alcocer, 40). They have an incredible arroz abanda. laugh

Fernando
Posted by: sel

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/10/04 07:39 PM

But can you get an order just for one person? So many places only offer paella for two or more.
frown

A small place called Mi Pueblo was recommended to me. It is in the Plaza Mayor area on Calle Santiaga maybe. It was closed when I tried to eat there, but the prices seemed reasonable.
Posted by: Mongo

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/11/04 01:12 AM

My personal habit is to have a formal lunch and tapas for dinner. This seems to be the pattern of most of the Madrileños I know.

I have found it rare to see a 'menu del dia' at a 'normal' restaursant for more than 10 or 11 euros (including wine). Try The Alhambra on c/ Victoria (the best cook in the neighborhood) or anything on c/ Ventura de la Vega, particularly Marina Ventura where they have the best rice (paella) in Madrid! My favorite is El Ingenioso on c/ Leganitos across from the Hotel Colosos. Their 'entrecot de Gallego cebon' (steak grilled at the table) is the best I have ever had and their service is great!

I cook for a living and spend 6 weeks a year in Madrid so this advice is not given lightly!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/11/04 08:07 AM

About lunch, you can find menu del dia for less of 10€ easily unless you're very downtown. In neighbourhoods (and if you really look, downtown), you can find good menus del dia for 7 or 8 euros. 9 should be even a bit too much, for someone who takes a look around before selecting bar/restaurant. smile

We spanish use to have dinner at home, unless we re having fun in a weekend, and then have tapas, or that it is a weekday but we make an appointment for some cañas.

There is not such thing as a menu del dia for night purposes except in Chinese restaurants, but there is "platos combinados" which is a very good alternative (a big dish with meat or fish or/and ommelette or burger, plus fried potatoes or small salad, ...) that is usually about 4,5 to 6 euros. If you want beer and a dessert, however, that'll be extra. Beer would be around 1,2 €, dessert is expensive: 2 to 3 €.
Posted by: liatris

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/13/04 02:28 PM

We discovered Rio de la Perla on Cava Baja (a few meanderings off Plaza Major). The food was tasty, ample, and cheap (5-6 euros). The place was clean and the service was good. We were a sizeable group (with students), so were glad to find a way to stretch $$.
Also, Ducados on C. San Jeronimo off Sol was a good value. The ambiente was trendy, but fun. and the food was reasonable and tasty. Didn't see many tourists there.
Posted by: Miguelito

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/14/04 03:19 AM

Fernando, I find funny that you talk bad about Chinese restaurants quality and then you say that you're fan of American restaurants! laugh wink
Personally I'm a great fan of Chinese restaurants and there are a lot with good quality, not always that's true, but this happens also with a lot of tapas bars. I think the worst relation quality/price in Spain is in Burguer King and McDonalds, I find Foster Hollywood a bit expensive for what you get, but quality is OK for me, although I prefer to go to Alfredo's BBQ to get a good hamburger

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/14/04 05:05 AM

I personally think that Casa Chica offers the best American hamburger available in Madrid! :p laugh

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/14/04 05:06 AM

You have to prove that. Slurps! :p laugh

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/14/04 05:45 AM

wHERE'S caSA chica? Is it expensive?

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/14/04 06:40 AM

Since I can see no smileys in your post, miguelito, I'd like to mention that the message about "Casa Chica" was posted by "Chica", and had smileys in it. laugh laugh laugh

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/14/04 10:12 AM

Oh, I related chica with small instead of girl, confused
How short I am.

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/14/04 12:32 PM

Miguelito, I wasn't including McDonald's and Burger King in the "restaurant" category laugh

I was writting with Hollywood, Tony Roma's or Ribs in mind :p

Fernando
Posted by: guiri920

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/14/04 02:59 PM

I haven't been back in a while, but I know there are tons of hidden treasures-- one being a spot called Candilejas, on c/H, off of Serrano between Goya and Ayala.
The chef there is amazing, and the price is right despite the neighborhood. It gets pretty busy during the lunch hour. You can choose between the menu or some pretty tasty sandwiches. Suerte!!
Posted by: almohada

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/15/04 06:58 PM

Biotika,

I have yet to spend 15 Euros. Although I am anxious as you to read the replies. SOmething tells me many are in the same boat.

I just spent 12 at La Bio Tika near Aton Martin. Absolutely delicious vegetarian food.

I also spent 10E at a restaurant right on Castellana. Next time I walk by I'll jot down name and exactly location. Had a plate of the most amazing pimientos asados and a veal cutlet along with sparkling water and fresh bread. Yummy.

As for the ubiquitous ham. Museo de Jamon, Comsumme, dos/tres "chiquitos de jamon, el chorizo del bar, and two glasses of red wine will sent you back about 6E.

For take out. La Bio Tika. Also there is a place just off of Anton Martin (toward the south, away from Gran Via) that sells rotisserie chicken (pollo asado). I thnk 5E for one chicken. However only seen it open during the day. But you can buy and keep for home?

More later. Best, Almohada
P.S. How about that Michelle Wie. First round 72 at the Sony Open!!
Posted by: ChrisR

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/29/04 12:36 PM

For those who have been putting down the quality of Chinese food in Madrid, the weekend Financial Times just had a complementary article. I also had a good review of Saigon on Maria de Molina from my wife who went two weeks ago for a business dinner (not in the "cheap" eats at 30 euros per person).

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/30/04 04:59 AM

Miguelito wrote:

Quote:
wHERE'S caSA chica? Is it expensive?
Hmmm... it´s not too far from Pza Castilla Miguelito. One would think that upon hearing Pza. Castilla that you would pay lots of Euros... but actually, you can get a decent burger there in exchange for a nice bottle of Rioja or Rueda... and I heard that Chica will even throw in a house salad, drinks and coffee at no additional charge! It has an eclectic selection of music... all to suit the diner´s taste, or simply the telediario. The dining facilities are quite small, and I understand that you need a special invitation to dine there...but I insist, the burgers are the best this side of the Atlantic. wink laugh

Ignacio wrote:
Quote:
Since I can see no smileys in your post, miguelito, I'd like to mention that the message about "Casa Chica" was posted by "Chica", and had smileys in it.
Very astute of you Ignacio... I see you caught the humor in my post!! laugh

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/30/04 06:18 AM

BTW, for those who like kebabs, or just hamburguers (after all, a kebab is like a big hamburger of lamb - usually), there is a place that's in the corner of Plaza de la Puerta del Sol and Calle Alcalá, where I use to have excellent double kebabs with a beer (a full meal, at least for me) for about 6 €.

And I am extatic on having discovered kebabs about two years ago. They are super-tasty. laugh
Posted by: Alun John

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 01/30/04 09:55 AM

Whilst in Madrid a few weeks ago I noticed that you could get a menu del dia in the Café de Oriente (opposite the Royal Palace) for under 10 Euros. Great location, great food.
Posted by: sel

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 03/03/04 02:37 PM

RESTAURANTE VIVARES
c/ HORTELEZA a half block north of Hostal chelo
7.20€ for a full course lunch or dinner including bread and beverage.

RESTAURANTE SANABRESA
c/AMOR DE DIOS near Antón Martín metro
Near Prado and Huertas
10€ and up for a full course lunch including bread and beverage

VESUBIO
C/Horteleza and C/Gonzalo Jimenez de Quesada off Gran Vía
3.80€ and up for 10 inch pizza plus 1.70€ for a half bottle of wine. Also has Italian pasta meals.
Posted by: Torrales

Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively.. - 03/04/04 05:10 AM

Two places downtown Madrid where you can find 'cocina casera' (i.e, the food everyone's mum do at home, not fancy, not modern, but delicious) at inexpensive prices:

Restaurante La Puebla
c/ Ventura de la Vega, 12 (very close to Puerta del Sol, Carrera de San Jeronimo, and Santa Ana sq.)

Restaurante Puerto Rico
c/ Chinchilla, 2 (between Gran Via and calle Carmen)

In both restaurants you will find a 'menu del dia' where you can choose from a selection of 5-6 starters, main courses, desserts and drink, for about 8-10 EUR. In both places, this menu is available even at night and weekends (unlike many other restaurants). If you prefer to eat 'a la carte' the price will be about 15-20 EUR.