Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998

Posted by: Floroz

Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/03/03 06:41 PM

Does this name ring a bell? We picked up a bottle at our Sams Club last week $10.00, went
back today to get more and they are sold out!
We thought it was delicious, but wonder how it rates in Spain? It has an elegant white label and gold wire all around.
Posted by: Chica

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/03/03 06:49 PM

It´s a good wine. What kind of grapes were used? Tempranillo?
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/03/03 06:54 PM

Yummmmmmy..... I love it!

Their official website is @ http://www.marquesderiscal.com/ but seems to be "down" right now. frown

Saludos..<HIC!> MadridMan
Posted by: CathyM

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/03/03 07:15 PM

If you're around a Trader Joe's they sell it there. laugh
Posted by: Andrés

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/04/03 05:59 AM

Marques de Riscal is one of the two founders of what we know today as Rioja. As far as I know they have three wines:
Reserva M de R
Gran Reserva M de R
and Barón de Chirel which is one of the greatest Riojas.

I suppose you sampled the Reserva one but I can´t believe the price 10$!!? I am almost 100% sure it is from 12 eur on in Madrid ¿??

Andrés
Posted by: Fernando

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/04/03 10:01 AM

Marqués de Riscal is an average/good wine, very known and therefore, somewhat expensive. However it seems you got a bargain. 10$ is an incredible price for that wine in the States, and certainly you will get a very good wine in comparison to french or italian wines.

Worth of it. If you can get more at that price don't think it twice.

Fernando

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/04/03 12:10 PM

10,9eur(taxes included): ( click here for information on "La Vinia")

Andrés
Posted by: Fernando

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/04/03 01:35 PM

Andrés, La Vinia is one of the most expensive places to buy wine in Madrid wink

But as an orientative price is useful.

Fernando
Posted by: that_girl

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/05/03 12:18 AM

I am pretty sure it is around $8.99 at Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's carries about 4 different red wines from Spain and always 1 and sometimes 2 whites. The wine ranges from about $3 to $12. They also have a couple of different types of cava.

I have also found wine and cava from Spain at Cost Plus, but usually more expensive.

...Syd
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/05/03 07:14 PM

Hi Floroz,
Your neighbor to the north, here. I buy this wine and the White and Rose vintages at ABC liquors, I believe there is one in Fort Myers or Ft. Myers Beach.

It is not very expensive, the Red usually sells for $12.00; the white and rose around 5.99 to 6.99.

They are very nice wines from Rueda. I use the white as a cooking wine because it leaves a very flavorful aroma, and the rose is my favorite.

Saludos,
Posted by: Mongo

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/06/03 12:12 AM

They get 12 euros for the Riserva at the Barajas duty free. I'm not sure of the vintage. The Riserva goes for $15-$17 at liquor stores here in Minneapolis.
Posted by: cantabene

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/06/03 03:40 AM

A very nice wine. I've been drinking it since it cost $3.65 a bottle in Pennsylvania. Quite a while ago.

I always considered its earthy quality as in part defining Spanish wines for me. Its character is unique, unlike any other wine of its type I've tasted. The emergence of the Riservas was a real treat. That they are so good and available at comparatively modest prices is one more good thing about Spain.
Posted by: crowduck

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/10/03 12:47 AM

At Traders Joes in Santa Cruz, Calif. it is $9.99.
I found it to be very tastefull, but without the 'bite' and 'edge' of most Calif. or French Red wines that I have tried. It was very Smooth. Don't know if this is good or bad. I'm not a connissear.
-Chris
Santa Cruz, CA.

Re: Marques de Riscal Rioja 1998 - 09/10/03 03:44 AM

I sampled two years ago the 96 (if my memory doesn´t fail me, it may be the 97), and I haven´t been inclined to try it again since. For two euros more you can have Viña Arana 96 and for three either Finca Valpiedra 96 or Marques de Vargas 97. The three of them are a far cry from what I remember the Riscal Reserva to be.

Andrés