Spanish Olive Oil

Posted by: Fernando

Spanish Olive Oil - 01/19/03 10:34 AM

I have readen an interesting article (data provided by Asoliva, the association of olive oil producers of Spain) which shows interesting conclusions:

In 1992 spanish exportations to other countries where of 106,188 tons (46,818 of them bottled).

In 2002 they were increased to 225,416 tons (76,139 of them bottled).

The main buyers of bottled olive oil were Australia (12,672 tons), USA (10,111 tons) and France (7,331 tons), while the main importers of unbottled spanish olive oil were Italy (73,149 tons, 54% of the total unbottled exportations!), France (15,343 tons) and Portugal (12,129 tons).

Spain is the world's main producer with the 55% of the world production, while we have just 24% of total exportations when compared with the 56% of Italy.

The article concludes says that spanish companies have make a bet to increase bottled exportations and to make our olive oil more known, because (as it is known), Italy is importing spanish olive oil, mixing it with italian olive oil, and exporting it with its price increased, damaging our own exportations. Smart italians wink

There is another thing that has called my attention, and it is that the main spanish olive oil importers are Australia (incredible!!) and USA, both far countries. I previously thought that americans didn't used olive oil generally. It seems I was wrong smile

Fernando
Posted by: Mongo

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/20/03 01:16 AM

I am the Chef for 2 restaurants in Minneapolis and we proudly use Spanish olive oil.(Zoe brand)

It comes from having had the best salad of my life in a back alley restaurant in Sevilla. Lettuce, tomato, onion, vinegar, coarse sea salt and of course olive oil.

I'm convinced that the "Sol de Andalucia Embotellado" isn't Tio Pepe, but olive oil!
Posted by: taravb

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/20/03 01:13 PM

Hey, Mongo--
Which restaurants? I live in the Twin Cities too...and would love to give another MadridMan fan some business!

Tara
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/20/03 03:20 PM

Hola Fernando,
Gracias por ese dato. Thank you for that fact. I believed I mentioned in a different thread that we iberoamericanos like to use olive oil. Actually Fernando, it is Americans of Spanish descent like myself that buy and demand that our grocery stores stock Spanish olive oil. Although,
I will also buy Italian as well, if the precio is better! laugh

I am not sure, how many other non Hispanic/Latino Americans buy olive oil, but if you look at the Hispanic magazines here in the USA, like the favorite among women, Vanidades, you will see a variety of Spanish olive oils being advertised. This advertising is marketed particularly to the Caribeños, Cuban and Puerto Rican Americans, whose food is more similar in preparation to Spanish food. Our basic sauce is based on olive oil, garlic, onion and tomato. When I cook I have to have olive oil, particularly when I do Spanish dishes, I always use olive oil when I make my tortillita (Española). I believe it is healthier for you, but that is an uninformed opinion laugh

Also, you ask why Australia imports so much olive oil? After iberoamerica, Australia has the largest conclave of Spanish immigrants in the world. In the 19th and 20th century Australia had an open door policy on immigration from Europe, hoping to colonize some of the empty spaces. Spaniards immigrated to Australia as early as the 19th century to seek a more prosperous life, and then after "la Guerra incivil", many political immigrants went there as well. These people were gutsy, because no Spanish is spoken there! laugh

If you wish to read more about it:
This web page talks about the Basques in Australia.
If you want to see a wonderful Australia...wonderful film! This film is about the flamenco and it introduces a Spanish Andalucian family. film worth watching if you like Flamenco.

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/20/03 04:35 PM

Thanks for the input Booklady! that answers some of my questions smile

As for olive oil being healthier it seems so. Everywhen a new scientific study is unveiled the conclusions seem the same: Olive oil is the healthiest oil for human consumption.

My family always uses olive oil to cook, no matter the dish we are making (including oriental and mexican recipes!).

Fernando

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/20/03 05:56 PM

Yes, Booklady--"Strictly Ballroom" is a brilliant film! Everyone should see it! I wonder if it's been released in Spain, and if it has, what it's called?

Regarding olive oil--we use olive oil for almost all of our cooking. I have some canola oil for baking, but use olive oil for everything else (except Asian stir-fries).

We also use it for bread (instead of butter), drizzling on tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella, etc. Anything that needs to be browned also goes in olive oil (with perhaps a bit of butter, but not always). All of my salads also have olive oil--green salads and pasta salads as well.

I buy Spanish oil when I can, but Italian is easier to find in many stores.

I don't think my mother cooked with olive oil when I was growing up, but now it's an essential in both her kitchen and mine. I don't think my cooking habits are unusual among American people of my age--particularly people who care about healthy eating, read recipe magazines, etc.
Posted by: Cooter

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/20/03 06:43 PM

mmmm...Carbonel....mmmm....Ybarra...it's the taste of home for those of us of Spanish descent.

I was in Jaen in September. For breakfast I had this wonderful fresh bread with this very green, thick, potent, aromatic, delicious olive oil. It tasted so fresh and wonderful, I couldn't believe it.

Spain should export that stuff; it's like crack for gourmands.
Posted by: miche_dup1

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/21/03 09:28 AM

Despite what is believed or said, there is a perfect import/export relationship between Spain and Italy with regards to the olive oil industry.

As of yet, the Spanish have no choice but to buy the machinery/technology necessary to produce Extra Virgin Olive Oil from the Italians. The machinery is mainly produced in the Puglia region of Italy, Puglia being the largest producer of extra virgin in Italy. The business relationship is such that the Spanish need Italian machinery and the Italians need Spanish oil. And the Spanish producers are more than eager to sell.

To buy real 100% pure Italian extra virgin oil is not a cheap option.

The market demands Extra virgin olive oil at an inexpensive price for which the Italians, being supreme blenders, seems to have a knack for in providing such oils, but never claim the mixed blend as being 100% Italian! (If it says 100% Italian, it will be 100% pure Italian). The Spanish/Italian blends are such that after export and marketing costs the price is still affordable and high quality. It's just good business sense. Also, due to demand, the mixed blend gives a suttler taste which is also why Italian exporters do well. I think the problem the Spanish may have in exporting bottled oils is that the abundance of extra virgin olive oil from Andalucia is almost too strong and can override the food itself you are dressing.
As for my kitchen, I have an exquisite array of the best of Andalucian extra virgin olive oils, (stuff not found in supermarkets wink ) and Italian Extra Virgin olive oils to pick and choose to my heart's content and taste buds desire.
But the Italian extra virgin wins, but i may be biased laugh
Posted by: Miguelito

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/21/03 09:36 AM

Strictly Ballroom was called 'El amor está en el aire'. It only had 68.114 watchers in year 1993.

http://www.mcu.es/cgi-bin/BRSCGI3701?CMD...+/+BAZ+LUHRMANN
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/21/03 09:55 AM

I wondered when your input would arrive miche. That's really interesting. I just love olive oil.

It's amazing, when one is ignorant to the facts regarding the manufacturing/exporting of such things, how you just go in to the supermarket and buy it without a second thought. Or at least that's me.

That Andalucian olive oil is not too strong for me - the stronger the better, specially on tomatoes smile Mind you if you are wearing it rather than eating it, it's a bit much hey?

By the way, olive oil/hair loss? Any benefits there?

I too loved Strictly Ballroom. I want that thing to happen to me - you know, you start off all spotty and frumpy and end up meeting someone who makes your dancing fabby and makes you look good too.

Miguel - is that what happened to you?

I will resist the photo this time rolleyes

Jo

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/21/03 10:52 AM

Jo, I don't know about olive oil and hair loss, but I've heard (from parents of other kindergarteners!) that it kills lice. Of course, you smell like salad...but I guess that's preferable. One of my friends said it left her hair very well-conditioned, too. No personal impressions (knock wood!), but hey...it might beat the typical "hot oil" treatment!

The things you learn when your kid gets to school!!
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/21/03 10:52 AM

It seems that many of the people posting on this topic are from the U.K. Here in the U.S. we get some Tosca brand Olive Oil (Regular and Extra Virgin) that's 'Product of Spain' but canned (3-liter cans) in Italy. We also get Bertolli (Full bodied, Extra Light and Extra Virgin) and Berio, both canned in Italy. For Salads or Salad dressing (on occasions, my wife makes her own Mayonnaise and/or Hollandaise Sauce) the Extra Virgin is best. Extra Virgin is more pricey; but for all-around use, I prefer the full bodied Olive oil. cool

I'm no expert in squeezings, but I have been told that the Extra Virgin is from the second or third squeezing (and the Olive loses some body/flavor with each squeezing). So the higher priced Extra Virgin may not be as good for general use (or as good for us) as the full bodied oil that the first squeezing produces. rolleyes

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/21/03 10:56 AM

Hooray for the Food Network...this from their website, www.foodtv.com:

Pressing tree-ripened olives extracts a flavorful, monounsaturated oil that is prized throughout the world both for cooking (particularly in Mediterranean countries) and for salads. Today's marketplace provides a wide selection of domestic olive oil (most of which comes from California) and imported oils from France, Greece, Italy and Spain. The flavor, color and fragrance of olive oils can vary dramatically depending on distinctions such as growing region and the crop's condition. All olive oils are graded in accordance with the degree of acidity they contain. The best are cold-pressed, a chemical-free process that involves only pressure, which produces a natural level of low acidity. Extra virgin olive oil, the cold-pressed result of the first pressing of the olives, is only 1 percent acid. It's considered the finest and fruitiest of the olive oils and is therefore also the most expensive. Extra virgin olive oil can range from a crystalline champagne color to greenish-golden to bright green. In general, the deeper the color, the more intense the olive flavor. After extra virgin, olive oils are classified in order of ascending acidity. Virgin olive oil is also a first-press oil, with a slightly higher level of acidity of between 1 and 3 percent. Fino olive oil is a blend of extra virgin and virgin oils (fino is Italian for "fine"). Products labeled simply olive oil (once called pure olive oil) contain a combination of refined olive oil and virgin or extra virgin oil. The new light olive oil contains the same amount of beneficial monounsaturated fat as regular olive oil...and it also has exactly the same number of calories. What the term "light" refers to is that--because of an extremely fine filtration process--this olive oil is lighter in both color and fragrance, and has little of the classic olive-oil flavor. It's this rather nondescript flavor that makes "light" olive oil perfect for baking and cooking where regular olive oil's obvious essence might be undesirable. The filtration process for this light-style oil also gives it a higher smoke point than regular olive oil. Light olive oils can therefore be used for high-heat frying, whereas regular olive oil is better suited for low- to medium-heat cooking, as well as for many uncooked foods such as salad dressings and marinades. The International Olive Oil Institute recommends using pure olive oil for frying, since the flavor of extra virgin olive oil tends to break down at frying temperatures, making the added expense a waste. Olive oil should be stored in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months. It can be refrigerated, in which case it will last up to a year. Chilled olive oil becomes cloudy and too thick to pour. However, it will clear and become liquid again when brought to room temperature.

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/21/03 11:11 AM

Hiyaa, I love Spanish Extra Virgin Olive oil, I have some left over, which were specially selected of which i treat every drop like liquid gold and not one drop is left unaccounted for.
We hope in the future to be able to provide a Spanish oil here in London, the type Cooter so well describes and makes 'Como agua para chocolate' seem more realistic... you know, the bit with Gertrudis and the recipe of Codornices en petalos de rosas. laugh It just knocks the senses. jejeje yummmy.

Luckily there is a market for all kinds of oils, it makes it more interesting.

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/21/03 11:30 AM

As Tara has shown, Extra Virgin Olive Oil- first cold pressing (often hand picked olives), is the finest and superior over it's derivative-olive oil.
Leader brands in the UK too are Bertolli and Berio, (not recommended). This is changing as people are slowly but surely opting for the smaller less well known names of which the origin is known and carry the labels of certification such as 'Denominacion de origen' followed by the the region of the country (highly recommended, you will not go back to Berio for sure),and which are not that much pricier and even in some cases are organic. long sentence,sorry.
Posted by: Miguelito

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/21/03 11:57 AM

Sorry Jo, I didn't watch the film, but I guess I was born dancing or something like that. I can see the first images of my childhood clapping hands before walking eek
Thank you for the contention with the photo.

Going back to olive oil, as I don't want to have too many bottles of oil around me I just have one for everything, 1º extra virgin olive oil, although it's to tasty for mayonaise, so I buy the mayonaise already done. laugh
Posted by: Onegirlarmy

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/28/03 12:34 PM

Allright, that´s it, I´m going home to cook some food right now!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/28/03 12:47 PM

Spanish Olive Oil: LOVE IT!! One can buy the Goya brand of Spanish olive oil (from Sevilla) at BOTH my Kroger grocery store here in Columbus as well as in many of the latino groceries around town. Honestly, I don't buy it very often because the "Italian" olive oil is quite a bit cheaper at my local Kroger.

It took YEARS (4 or 5) years of convincing from my ladyfriend in Madrid that olive oil was GOOD for you and I've ONLY used it ever since - haven't touched vegetable oil since then, not that I did before. I LOVE olive oil... Mmmm...

MY FIRST "MEAL" IN SPAIN was during my FIRST visit to Spain and Madrid in 1995. It was about 9:00am, my plane had arrived about 1.5 hours earlier, and I was hungry so my ladyfriend toasted small barra/baguette of bread, cut and rubbed garlic over the toast, and then dribbled Spanish olive oil over it. Mmmmm.. I was in HEAVEN!!!! Yummmm...... laugh

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Cooter

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/28/03 08:03 PM

MM, that brings back some memories. My first "meal" in Spain also involved oil: I was 11 years old and we had just arrived in Barcelona by way of Madrid. It was too early for lunch, but we were starving and jetlagged, and staggered into the closest restaurant, where, despite not yet being officially open, they made us pa amb tomaquet. I can still taste it, the bread, the tomato, the oil, the excitement of being in Spain, all mixed together...

so many years ago...
Posted by: gsobotta

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/29/03 06:49 AM

You can buy Spanish olive oil at Kroger in Ohio. In Michigan, the Kroger still has the Italian blends. Buckeyes get all the breaks! I have to buy my Spanish olive oil from www.tienda.com/. I use only Spanish olive oil for cooking after my visit to Jaen where I purchased 2.5 liters. Besides enjoying the favor, it is healthy too. My wife and I adopted the Mediterranean diet, which uses olive oil exclusively. I have dropped my cholesterol from 232 to 191 in 2 years without any medication.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/30/03 08:53 AM

In an article today, in Spanish, on the CanalSur website, speaks of Spanish olive oil in the USA:
Quote:

"Olive oil from Andalucía, the best olives on the earth", lema de la promoción del aceite de oliva en Estados Unidos
30/01/03 REDACCIÓN WEB

La Junta de Andalucía ha cerrado un principio de acuerdo con los empresarios para que todo el aceite de oliva que se venda en Estados Unidos vaya identificado con el logo 'Olive oil from Andalucía', realizado por una empresa de Miami, junto a la marca de la empresa productora.

Esta medida forma parte de la campaña de promoción del aceite andaluz presentada en el Museo de Historia Natural de Nueva York y que comenzará la próxima primavera con anuncios en prensa y televisión en inglés y en español en Miami y Nueva York con el mensaje 'Olive oil from Andalucía. The best olives on the earth' para conquistar el mercado norteamericano. La campaña, que supondrá una inversión de un millón de euros financiados por la Junta en colaboración con los empresarios --que aportan un tercio del coste inicial previsto--, se centrará en poner de manifiesto la "calidad y sabor superior" del aceite de oliva andaluz, primer productor a nivel mundial, en un mercado actualmente copado por los italianos, aunque también incidirá en otros aspectos como el valor añadido de este producto para lograr una dieta saludable. Read More.....

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 01/30/03 09:40 AM

Don't forget that there are other regions with as good olive oil as andalucian: Castilla La Mancha, Extremadura, and even Madrid smile

Fernando
Posted by: viequense

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 02/04/03 03:32 PM

Is it a good deal to buy Olive Oil in spain and bring it back?

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 02/04/03 04:45 PM

Judge by yourself: The price for a litre of olive oil of good quality is around 2$.

Fernando
Posted by: viequense

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 02/04/03 05:35 PM

Two dollars? Oh my gosh...at that price I will bring an empty suitcase!!!!!!

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 02/04/03 07:53 PM

viequense, if you plan to bring containers of olive oil home, be sure to take along some large plastic bags to wrap them in! I don't know if there are ziploc bags that would be big enough--but at least bring some bags and twist-ties. I don't think I would put olive oil in checked bags--but I brought a couple of liters home last trip in my (enormous) carry-on bags. YUM!!!
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: Spanish Olive Oil - 02/04/03 08:18 PM

Ok, I got to this thread pretty late and admittedly didn't read all the postings...but as an Italian-American, I can say with certainty that we use a lot of olive oil too!! I'm not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but if you look closely on the bottles/cans, however, many of the "Italian" olive oils are actually made from Spanish olives, and just bottled in Italy...

I LOVE Strictly Ballroom, too, I thought I was the only one!! (In fact, that's where I first heard the quote I have in my signature line!!) I love the Spanish scenes, especially when the grandma is talking about the guys body and he has no idea...gotta love it!

-GG