La Casera in the USA?

Posted by: shula

La Casera in the USA? - 11/29/01 10:09 PM

I've been lurking, reading posts for several months, and have found so much useful information. I'm hoping for some more. I was in Spain for a few weeks, traveling primarily in Southern Spain. While traveling I acquired quite a taste for La Casera--that magical bubbly drink. Now back in the States, Florida in particuliar, I find myself craving it. Does anyone sell this stuff stateside. I noticed Tienda.com sells a pricey collector's version (currently out of stock), but I could truly use good source.

BTW, I'm in love with Spain, the culture, and the dance!! Plan to go back, maybe in April to Sevilla for the Festival. smile

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 11/29/01 11:47 PM

Welcom Shula, if you're a Spain lover, you're in the right place!

I've been trying to find somewhere that sells Fanta limon to no avail, but if you do find la casera, let me know!

Bienvenida y hasta la proxima!

-GG
Posted by: Eddie

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 11/30/01 05:59 AM

That's the Feria de abril in Sevilla. If you had about 3-weeks you could catch the tail end (jueves y viernes) of Semana Santa and the feria de abril (usually 2-weeks later). Spend the interim time hanging out somewhere in Spain. cool

As for the la Casera, my Suegra used to mix 7-up (or Sprite) with seltzer for a similar taste. rolleyes
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 11/30/01 10:46 AM

As a matter of fact, there is a website, which is currently down, at www.lacasera.es . And no, this isn't one of my phony sites...check all the great beverages at www.juerga.com/bebidas/bebidas.cfm . smile

That last URL doesn't connect, but if you go to Google and type this in: "la casera" +bebida, you'll get a link to www.juerga.com's bebida section.

My dad spent five weeks in Spain with me in 1992 and smuggled a case of casera bottles back in his suitcase! It's an enchanting beverage to many!

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 11/30/01 12:37 PM

CaliBasco, that second URL did work, but only after I edited your posting so that there was a space between the end of your URL and your period. Here on the message board, no syntax can be at the immediate end of the URLs or it screws up the link. (Note: if you require syntax at the end of your URLS you can do so using the ADD URL functions with the buttons below the editor upon entering your message)
Posted by: laduque

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 11/30/01 12:57 PM

We've been trying to find a source for La Casera for our restaurant here to no avail. Tienda.com is too expensive for everyday consumption.
Instead of the Sprite thing, try Sierra Mist, it is less sweeter than the others and is close enough to La Casera to use when making sangria.
Posted by: Booklady

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 11/30/01 04:52 PM

Hi Laduque,
Might I ask, who makes Sierra Mist? The last time I had la Casera was in So Beach at one of the sidewalk cafes and I was delighted with the taste, but I did not find it in the grocery stores there.
Gracias
Booklady - Who appreciates a refreshing drink!

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 12/01/01 01:09 AM

Where in South Beach? I might look it up the next time I have a show or workshop in Miami--maybe I can bribe the bartender
Posted by: nevado

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 12/01/01 03:35 AM

I'll have to try the Sierra Mist. I've been making my own versions (nothing compares) but have found 1/2 7-up 1/2 club soda comes kinda close. British lemonade is also another option.
Posted by: cantabene

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 12/01/01 05:59 AM

I always enjoyed a splash of La Casera in a glass of vino corriente. I've tried substitues like "Sprite" 7-Up, etc. But they're always too cloying. It would be helfpul to find an affordable source in the USA. La Tienda is generally overpriced on most things.
Cantabene
Posted by: Booklady

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 12/01/01 11:07 AM

Hola Shula,
If my memory serves me it was either 1993 or 1994 at the American Library Association Annual convention, and I believe it was on or before 9th and Ocean Drive, it was a Hispanic sidewalk cafe, very pricey but it had great music.
I had never tried La Casera before but wanted a refreshing drink and my friend told me to try it. The waiter said I would find it in the local grocery stores, but certainly not in Miami Beach. I scoured all the Winn Dixie's and Publix stores from So Beach to Sunny Isles without any luck. I've since looked in Miami at the Hispanic groceries and discount stores and no luck yet. laugh
Posted by: churrocaliente

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 12/01/01 01:45 PM

My brother in law imports food from Spain and works with Cuetara. I will ask him about buying Casera. I live on South Beach and haven't thought to ask or look for it. Next time I go to Macarena I will.

Speaking of yummy Spanish foodstuffs ... a friend of mine is also in the cargo/import biz. Last night we sampled some packaged tortillas the manufacturer gave him -- patatas, chorizo, bacalao. Mmm! You can warm them up in a frying pan or microwave. They last for three months prior to opening and while nothing beats a homemade one, these were delicious. Apparently these are the tortillas busy moms buy in Spain. They are big sellers in Japan and other markets. Hopefully they'll start importing them into the states. I'll let you know when they do!
Posted by: pim

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 12/01/01 02:32 PM

Hi!

I'm surprised that nobody has yet mentioned how delicious 'gaseosa' La Casera is mixed with beer! In Spain a lot of people, like myself, have this mix called 'clara', when having tapas, that way you can drink more without getting dizzy or 'alegre' so soon!!! :p (Some people use Sprite or 7up with beer, but gaseosa is best)
In the summer, when it's REALLY hot, having a chilled clara drunk from a 'porron'(special Spanish wine jug) is the best thing one can hope for!!!
And also in the summer AND with gaseosa we make 'tinto de verano', which is Casera(or some other brand, but this one's the best) with a little bit of red wine. Mmmn! cool

Cheers, & have a great weekend!
Posted by: laduque

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 12/02/01 07:19 PM

Sierra Mist is a Pepsi product sold here on the West Coast, at least. It is not as sweet as Sprite or 7 up and we have found that our sangria is lighter and more refreshing with it instead of Sprite/7up.
ChurroC, please let me know if you find out anything on importing La Casera from your friend, our restaurant here is dying to get a lead on La Casera.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: laduque ]
Posted by: la maestra

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 12/02/01 07:33 PM

While it is true that Tienda.com is a little pricey, I figure it is lots cheaper for me to buy the item I have a craving for from them than it would be to fly to Spain for it. Yes, flying to Spain would be lots more fun, but REALLY, it is not possible for most of us to pack up and go to Europe whenever we have a craving for a bocadillo de chorizo.

As for leads...try submitting a request to Trader Joe's. They are now carrying queso manchego as a regular product (along with other Spanish cheeses) and have several other Spanish imports. They also carry a (pardon my French!) FRENCH product that might be closer to La Casera than our soft drinks.

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 01/08/02 10:52 PM

hey everyone, I remember this post from early december. I went to Las 5 JJJJJ (cinco jotas) today in Miami and they had whole shelves lined up with bottles of La Casera!!! About $2.99 liter (or 3/4 liter?). Anyway, it's a great market/deli/bakery in the center of Miami ... not far from the airport. They had soooo many delicious imports plus a great eat in or take out menu.

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 01/09/02 07:47 AM

I'm going to find a way to get there, you don't happen to have a street address or phone number, do you?[email]null[/email] laugh
Posted by: ChicaGuay

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 01/09/02 10:18 AM

Hi, Shula! I emailed you, but just in case here it the info: Las 5 JJJJJ, 7384 SW 40 St (Bird Road), Miami, tel. 305-265-4045, they have the smaller bottle for 2.99 and the large bottle for 5.99, they open inclusive Sat., til 6 pm and Sun til 4 pm. You would not believe the bunch of Spain stores that are opening up here in the Miami area.

Hey ChurroCaliente! Now that you mention Cuetara, if you go to Sedanos, they all carry the line of Cuetara goodies, and also the BIMBO line, and a WHOLE bunch of Spain stuff! I have one across from where I live and I buy all those goodies there! laugh

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Re: La Casera in the USA? - 01/09/02 12:07 PM

Hey Chicaguay,

Thanks for posting the info on 5 JJJJJs! Did you see the bocatas on their menus??? YUM!!! I also noticed they had churros at breakfast time ... I will have to make a special trip to the "mainland" one morning.

About Cuetara - my brother in law imports their goods into the US, so I am getting free stuff all the time. He also gives me samples from other companies. Like the other day, a bag of rice and jar of white beans from SOS. Que rico!!!

Churrito laugh