TGI Fridays

Posted by: Anchovy Front

TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 08:14 AM

TGI Fridays have arrived on the Costa del Sol in a blaze of glory. They just gave meals away to full houses of guinea pigs for four nights to try out the menu and staff.

Located in Puerto Banus, Marbella, everybody who attended told me it was a fun place. It's an American chain, yes? Forget the tapas and paella, try the fajitas and steaks instead. Good news for the American tourists....isn't it? wink
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 09:20 AM

That's smile Great/A Shame! frown I went to one (if not the only one) in Madrid and it was "typical" - we had hot wings and burgers. It was my first trip to Spain and we went with another "American" who lives there.
Posted by: Pookita

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 09:29 AM

P-p-pthewy! (sound of someone trying to clear the unpleasant taste of bat guano from their mouth)I prefer to get absorbed into the local culture, and that includes local cusine.

Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on TGI Fridays. They may very well provide a service to the tourists who just can't go another day without a turkey club sandwich. And, I have to admit, whenever I travel I get the strongest craving for a cheeseburger about two weeks into my travels. It just seems so boring to me. I can't even remember that last time I was in a Friday's here in the USA, so I tend to doubt I will eat there when in Spain!
Posted by: Wolf

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 09:45 AM

TGI Friday - They are really bad... Home of the greasiest food this side of the Himalayas. If you were able to remove the grease from their burgers you'd end up with a piece of ground meat the size of a pea, and possibly greener. As for their lard fries... Gawd! If you don't eat them before they cool, chances are you'll end up with chunks of animal fat lazily residing on your teeth.

Not even Hooters, which seems to pride themselves on offering terrible food because you shouldn't have gone there for that anyway, is better.

A steady diet of Tele-pizza left over from yesterday, even if someone picked off all the toppings is a better choice.

That said, I'm going to the kitchen to make myself a breakfast burrito... rolleyes

Wolf (who prides himself on rarely missing a meal, if conscious)
Posted by: Luces de Bohemia

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 10:30 AM

I think it is really nice. Not everybody likes Spanish food and it is good that they have the option to eat "American" food. Plus, Spaniards like hamburgers and chicken fingers, right? The fact that there is international food in Spain doens't mean that typical Spanish food is going to dissapear.
Posted by: Puna

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 11:13 AM

Like TGIF's or not - I'll wager the chain does well in Marbella. While I agree with Wolf about the quality - or lack thereof - the "look/feel/taste" that is TGIF will appeal to a certain group of people - traveler or local. Just walk into any Planet Hollywood - anywhere in the world - its really the same marketing image type of thing. rolleyes
Posted by: Sofia

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 11:41 AM

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: Sofia ]

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 12:36 PM

I like that term. Chicken fingers. I've never seen a chicken with hands let alone fingers. Next it will be chicken lips. I hate to imagine what part of the fowl that will come from eek

Wolf (who only eats identifiable body parts from feathered & hairy animals)
Posted by: Nic

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 01:59 PM

Quite harsh words from everyone on the Friday's thing. I also like to immerse my self in the culture's food, but I was glad to get away from all the Spanish salty foods for a meal or two. We didn't go to TGI Friday's, but did hit some good Italian places, that I have posted previously. Sorry Wolf, a good salad at Friday's would look good to me after all the jamon y queso.
Posted by: Pookita

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 02:11 PM

A salad helps to "keep things moving along" the old digestive tract, too. laugh One tends to get a little constipated after a long journey and alot of jamon y queso.

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Pookita
Posted by: Asterault

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 02:39 PM

I went to college in the US and worked at one of these for a couple months.

One day 2 waiters ran into each other and broke glass into a salad. It was picked out and served by orders from the management. After a quick stay in the hospital the customer brought the 'mother of all lawsuits' against them.

If you're going to pay that money, better off hitting Wendys for the spicy chicken menu super-sized and saving a couple bucks. Besides, the food sucked.

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 05:10 PM

GEEEZZZ!!!! The beating continues. eek Bad food, bad drinks ....Somebody is visiting the places, they just built a new one by my house. I heard that Jack Daniels bought into them.

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/05/01 06:37 PM

Nic,

Maybe it's the Jack Daniels name that has gotten people to visit them in the first place.

I'd hate to believe that they let Elmer, the cask polisher, run a chain of restaurants for them just because he found the slickest road kill for the crew at the distillery each day. eek

Wolf (Who salutes the Jack Daniels flag when it's raised)

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/06/01 08:23 AM

Wow! It was just an observation that they are opening on the C del S..... I can't wait to visit it now! My man on the spot report will follow.......

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/06/01 08:28 AM

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/06/01 09:00 AM

Hey Wolf, lighten up a little, won't you?

While you were away, the board went through quite a lighthearted, often amusing phase, but since your return I've noticed that your comments have been very sombre, stiff, straitlaced, tedious......quite frankly, boring. You should really try and inject a touch of humo(u)r now and then.

I can't stop thinking about that phrase "slickest road kill" laugh We used to have the most dangerous road in Europe on this coast, the N340. In recent years there has been numerous improvements made, like ironing out a few mad bends, putting a concrete barrier in the middle of it to keep the two lanes apart from the opposing two lanes etc. There used to be so many dead animals on it, it was nicknamed the fur-lined highway. Your microwave would have run constantly at full power in those days!

Okay....here's the editing bit. Can you believe I just posted this without seeing an earlier post you made, regarding the Basque question. So sorry, my friend! The above doesn't sound quite so funny now. After all this time, you pick a day like today to answer a query with a serious answer! If the earth could swallow me up now......
:o

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Anchovy Front ]

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/06/01 11:20 AM

smile

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/06/01 11:22 AM

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/06/01 11:52 AM

Sorry Sofia. It was my attempt at dry Brit humo(u)r and it went sadly wrong because of a couple of more serious postings that I hadn't read. I tried the editing bit, but all day I've sat looking at the first few lines of this subject as they appear in Today's New Topics, all the time thinking "Anchovy, what a stupid thing to say!" frown

Wolf brings a tiny (more dry humo(u)r and sarcasm!) bit of laughter here and I'm sure everybody looks forward to his off the wall comments.

So you think I was inviting controversial comments re TGIF.....? wink

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/06/01 12:17 PM

It's nice to see some "fire breathers" out here. But in this case, I knew Anchovy was being humorous (note the spelling - he's teaching me the "right way" to spell) laugh

Actually, just the name of TGIF was enough to rankle some of us, who have found their offerings to be less than palatable. I've often wondered why they don't just change their name to "The Roadkill Cafe." It sounds like it would have worked in Anchovy's neck of the woods, until they changed those wonderful highways laden with tonights menu.

Wolf (Fighting back the inclination to change the above post to something funny)

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/06/01 12:28 PM

Party on!

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/06/01 12:34 PM

Hmm...humorous is the same in both languages.....we don't spell it humourous..... why the hell do we Brits spell humour with a u??? We will have to reverse rôles....let the first lesson begin.

I am studying the news though and pick up phrases and sayings here from the USA. An American nurse said the other night on an English news programme here that "the children were ambulatory". Wouldn't the word walking be easier?

By the way, so not to drift off topic, I thought I would mention that it may be difficult for me to visit TGIF anyway, as a friend told me that the decor and waiter's uniforms etc are all in red and white stripes, which are Atletico de Madrid's colors (no u - see, I'm learning fast!). Everybody knows that Malaga Football Club's blue and white stripes are the best! Now if they re-decorated, we could hold the Costa del Sol dinner group there..... wink
Posted by: Luces de Bohemia

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/06/01 03:12 PM

Hi Sofia, I don't mean to be mean laugh but I don't think that Friday's shows anything about American culture.
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/11/01 06:21 PM

I've read in El País, that in the tradition of TelePizza vs. Domino's, that in Marbella they're opening a restaurant called GADEViernes wink to compete with TGIFriday's. They'll be serving "milanesaguesas", "alas de toro", croquetas de pollo and "sangría light" (on tap of course). It will be right across the street from the new TGIFriday's and will compete with them for vomit volume in the alleys behind them both. eek

Thanks Wolf for the vivid imageries...eres único, tío.
Posted by: roses

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/12/01 07:00 PM

I hate TGIF... I can't stand chain restaurants, except for Mc Donalds... smile

Hard Rock Cafe and TGIF provide a great atmosphere and a nice place for homesick tourist to visit; however, the food is AWFUL and EXPENSIVE! mad

And for all those homesick travelers, get ready to spend some cash... average cost per person with drinks included can cost anywhere from 20-30 bucks. Ciao...roses
Posted by: GranadaGirl

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/12/01 09:12 PM

WOW- I'm sorry I didn't catch this thread sooner!!

I think Fridays will find a niche-especially with the tour groups and tired Americans traveling through the land. (Give me a tortilla espanola any day though...) And someone way back mentioned that the salads 'kept things moving' so to speak, well, I know I can go to TGI's any time and eat ANYTHING, and it 'keeps me moving' as well--I guess it's all that fat someone else was talking about!!!

I guess this just means I have to be more attentive of all the posts that are going up...

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/12/01 09:35 PM

GranadaGirl,

The "keeps you moving" is kind of a modern expression. Back in the old days, when I was a kid (yes, last century), we called the results of eating greasy food "the green apple quick step."

Of course we had "detached bathrooms" in those days, and there was a half moon carved in the door for light to get in. As for the Sears catalog inside, it wasn't really for reading laugh

Wolf (Who still has one of those old facilities displayed as a novelty in his northern Wisconsin yard.)

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/12/01 09:44 PM

Ah yes, the green apple quick step, I know it well, became intimate friends with it at the last TGI's I visited-- and it's a good thing their facilities are now attached, need I say more...

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/13/01 05:26 AM

Voll Damm gives you that apple step too.

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/13/01 10:23 AM

Of course, Wolf, in our current shock-oriented culture, the term "quick step" has been replaced with the word "splatters"...nice.

Speaking of apples, I wonder if the Friday's will have American-style "receptacles" or will opt for the Spanish bar-style "rocket launchers"...I love the launchers! Ready...aim... :p

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/13/01 11:21 AM

CaliBasco,

American males who spend too much time in bars are easily identified. Just check shoes for water spots eek

Wolf (Who doesn't wear sandals into American bars)

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/13/01 12:52 PM

GG, I also became intimate with it in Thailand, where one also doesn't wear sandals. Not from a TGIF however, I would have killed to have seen one of those. The only country I have ever visited and wished to see American food. Does the drug Cipro mean anything to any of you??
Can't believe the thread has gone on this long, however, and I am signing out of it, as I don't think TGIF deserves anymore type time. rolleyes

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/14/01 06:50 PM

Why sign out of this? Don't let this disenchanting discourse on dysentery drive you away!

Wolf- my aim is true. When the shuttle steps on the pad, it takes off clean and true. laugh

CaliBasco (who doesn't wear sandals ANYWHERE in Spain...)

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/15/01 06:58 AM

One thing that I haven't seen here is the 'watering trough' style in the bathrooms. Mostly the good old 'porcelain throne', tried and true.
Posted by: Gluhwein

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/22/01 03:43 PM

I say "no" to TGI Friday's in Spain. And get rid of all the Italian, German, French, Spanish, Ethiopian, Caribbean, Middle Eastern, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese and Mexican restaurants in the U.S. You should only be allowed to eat the cuisine of your own nation. And while we're at it, no more inter mingling or marrying. Everybody has to stay in their rooms.

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/25/01 09:16 AM

Oh bloody hell!! Condemned to a life of Fish and Chips and Spotted Dick! frown

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/25/01 06:01 PM

Glu- Can I at least keep my local Canadian restuarant? The extensive menu includes back bacon, walleye and ice. laugh
Posted by: Chip

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/28/01 04:56 PM

As a four year veteran of TGIF in a past life (and a visitor to Friday's in Paris and London), let me say that they still know what an American singles bar is all about, but they should never have become a restaurant (the "American Bistro"?). If you're away from home, it's nice to drop in on familar things at times ( a chicken caesar IS good after about a week of Jamon y Torta de Patata). It can also be an exciting place where young locals mingle (e.g.Paris).

Give Mother Friday's a break (please), but it's still El Botin and Museo de Jamon for me. :p

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/28/01 11:21 PM

Oh boy, I thought this thread was put to rest long ago!!!

Ok, I must admit, I do agree, it is nice to get a chicken caesar salad or buffalo wings once in a while when you're away. When I was studying in Spain, we went to Gibraltar for the weekend and were in HEAVEN when we found out they had *real* hamburgers and a SAFEWAY grocery store that sold SNICKERS BARS!!! (There were no Snickers bars to be found in Granada at that time at least!!!) So, ok, although I myself STILL can't go to Fridays due to reasons already discussed weeks ago, I will have to cave in on this one...

Now, may I ask, WHAT is a spotted dick?

rolleyes

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/29/01 06:22 AM

I was trying to find you a picture, GranadaGirl, but this is the best I could do...... Now shut your eyes, after clicking here http://www.cix.co.uk/~ossystems/rfmbs/spotted_dick.html ....... then open them slowly. I would recommend you sit down first and have a glass of water handy eek
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/29/01 07:21 AM

But be quick! You've only got 5 seconds!!

Jo
Posted by: la maestra

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/29/01 09:58 AM

Ooooooooo, Anchovy Front! That sounds so yummy! I'm always up for a new recipe...I'll have to mix up a batch of this stuff this weekend!

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/29/01 10:06 AM

Mmm.I would say that most people in the UK have a Spotted Dick at some stage in their lives, wouldn't you agree, Jo-Anne, Sue & all the other Brits? rolleyes
Posted by: la maestra

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/29/01 10:09 AM

I'm glad you decided to post that remark after giving the recipe or I would have wondered about health/hygiene issues in the UK eek
Posted by: Chip

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/30/01 08:20 AM

Okay on the spotted dick, but what exactly are "lashings of custard"?

A new thread is born (maybe). wink

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/30/01 01:08 PM

Say, do they serve 'spotted dick' at TGIFridays??? (see topic above.. hint hint wink )
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: TGI Fridays - 06/30/01 06:38 PM

MM

Perhaps a new topic heading - "I digress" could be added and you could shunt all offenders there, and lash them with custard if necessary.

Jo
Posted by: jer

Re: TGI Fridays - 07/28/01 12:42 PM

Baaaaaarfooooooooooooo! MadridMan, do us al a favor and close this thread. It should have never made it past the first post (sorry Anchovy).

How about trying Spanish food when in Spain!

Saludos,
jer...
Posted by: taravb

Re: TGI Fridays - 07/28/01 03:01 PM

Hey, let's leave off the TGIFridays thing...whether we like the place/food or not, they just gave our pal MissMadrid a job and because of that, she can live "our" dream and stay in Spain!

smile

Re: TGI Fridays - 07/29/01 05:22 PM

Hey Jer! This thread was lying happily dormant for more a month and nobody noticed but you! Why the heck did YOU ressurect it??

Re: TGI Fridays - 07/30/01 04:02 AM

Well, now you HAVE brought it up (Right expression? rolleyes ) I forgot to tell you that a few weeks ago I actually made it to Banus one lunchtime and had to sample the wares for myself.

I have to say that I think you are (mostly) being a little unfair, as although we didn't have too much, being a lunchtime, what we did have didn't move around too much on the plate and was perfectly acceptable.

Liked the red and white striped uniforms, as that should upset the Madrileños who follow that team based at the Santiago Bernabeu who have taken over the Costa del Sol right now in their thousands laugh

Also thought that the decor and service was OK and although it was fairly late in the afternoon, about four-ish, it was very busy. I believe that you have to queue for a table in the evening. I wouldn't go back, because I prefer value for money and although the food was OK, I thought it was a rip off, as even allowing for the location in Puerto Banus, it was pretty expensive and for the same money you would spend for a full evening meal there, I could eat like a king in many other places.

That's it Jer and MM. I declare the ghost exorcised and my curiosity satisfied. Nobody will ever mention those initials again..... Apart from the end of the week, that is, when I head off to the Friday Night Club for a well earned San Miguel or several and mutter "TGI....."
Posted by: jer

Re: TGI Fridays - 07/30/01 08:11 AM

Hola taravb, great news on that MissMadrid employment situation. MissMadrid, if you read this, congrats and let me be the first to welcome you aboard the Spain Ex-Pat parade. Take it from me, it is an awesome ride laugh ! Just don't eat your meals at work :p !!!

Hey MadridMan, sorry for waking the dead buddy, it struck a nerve and I could not resist. You could have closed the topic though and done us all a favor.

Hey Anchovy Front, jejejej, Well done on that "Brought it up" pun (if that was indeed your "no pun intended" :)). I have never actually tried TGIF here in Spain but perhaps it is better than in the U.S.A. (let's hope so).

Are you sure those sporting the red striped uniforms were not candy stripers like the ones who volunteer in hospitals around the U.S. and were there to take care of the sick and food poisoned laugh.

One last note before I too bury this. Anchovy, since we are in Spain, how about muttering "G.D.Q.E.V." (Gracias a Diós Que...) or is that too long for "TGIF" (doh! I wrote it!).

Saludos,
jer...