NBA on TV in Barcelona?

Posted by: Jasonbrooks72

NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 05/21/01 08:06 AM

Hello
Does anybody know where to catch an NBA playoff game in Barcelona? Is there such thing as an american sports bar here?

[ 05-21-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 05/21/01 10:42 AM

I've been in Spain for three NBA finals, and all three times, the games were carried LIVE on TVE-2. In the "old" days, there used to be the NBA game of the week...the show was called "Cerca de las Estrellas" (Close to the stars), but now, the NBA is a little more popular than even then, which is why you'll catch things live.

You'll have to do the math, since LIVE means about 2:00 a.m. Spain time. We never went to a bar to catch the game...we usually met at someone's home to do it. I would simply ask around your neighborhood where you'll be and see about who's open, etc. You may get lucky on the times, though, since Sunday games are usually early-afternoon.

By the way...Go Lakers. laugh
Posted by: Asterault

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 05/21/01 12:59 PM

It's (NBA) usually on C+, I've caught a few games since I've been here (of my beloved 76ers).

Here's a schedule: http://www.cplus.es/codigo/deportes/retransmisiones_deportes.asp?Seccion=Retransmisiones

[ 05-21-2001: Message edited by: Asterault ]
Posted by: Wolf

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 05/21/01 01:17 PM

Since Asterault & CaliBasco have thrown in their plugs for their fav teams, my turn; "Go Bucks!" smile

Wolf

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 05/24/01 08:07 AM

Thanks for your help. And this is quite embarassing, but I must say it. "Go Bulls" rolleyes
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 05/24/01 08:37 AM

Yes! Go Bulls! wink Or better yet, Go Wizards! Wait, that'll be NEXT year. hehehe..

But seriously folks, I suppose if you couldn't find it on TV you could go to a cybercafe/easyEverything and listen to the game on an internet cybercast through headphones. Just an idea. laugh

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 05/29/01 05:47 AM

Buuuut waiiit! WHO will be in the finals????

WHO?

Sixerrrrrrrs!!! And some other team.

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Asterault ]

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 05/29/01 05:33 PM

In deference to MadridMan, former Bull Jack Haley was quoted on Sunday saying "whoever wins the East can pride themselves as the East champions. They'll tell themselves 'second place isn't too bad!'"

The Lakers will make mincemeat of either the Bucks or Sixers. I would love to see Earvin 'I'm not Magic' Johnson or Dikembe Mu-'Tom Boy' "take it to the rack" on Shaq. After watching Tim 'Not doin' a Whole lot of' Duncan and David "My Ship is Sinking" Robinson get worked by Shaq O'Neal "in my presence", the East will most likely be a four-and-out post script to the Lakers incredible run. :p

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/04/01 06:55 AM

Having attended colegio in Orlando, I would too enjoy any public humiliation of Shaq "can't make free throws" O'Neill and the Lakers.

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/04/01 06:11 PM

The Sixers would be better off with Epi coming out of retirement and Fernando Martín at center. With Eric "My Broken Foot Will Pale in Comparison to my Broken Heart" Snow and Dikembe "I Sound Like the Cookie Monster" Mu-Dumb-o trying desperately to cope with Shaq "I Don't Need Free Throws...a Dunk is Worth Two" O'Neal and Rick "All of a Sudden I can Defend Anyone" Fox, not to mention Kobe "Who's Your Daddy, Allen Iverson" Bryant, it ain't gonna be pretty.

The only thing the Sixers have going for them right now is Pat "Don't Call Me Jim" Croce. The only reason it might even go to six games is so the Lakers can win it at home...and burn the celebratory squad car out in front of the Staples Center. smile

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: CaliBasco ]
Posted by: Kurt

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/04/01 06:52 PM

OK, OK--back to the question posed-

NBA in Spain? Well, last May in Madrid and Seville, I was able to watch tapes of the playoffs on TV at 8am every morning. Beats staying up to 4am (at least if all you're doing is watching TV)

CHICAGO BULLS NBA CHAMPS!!

(This Message has been Post-Dated to the year 2010 by: Kurt) rolleyes

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/06/01 04:14 PM

The games are on starting this morning at 3:00 (local Madrid time) on Canal+. I will be watching them from the comfort of my LA Living Room at 6:00 p.m.

¡Aupa Lakers!

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/06/01 05:23 PM

CaliBasco,

I was a Lakers fan way back in the days that they were in Minneapolis. They had players like George Mikan, Whitey Skoog, Clyde Lovellete, and Slater Martin. In fact, I remained a Lakers fan until long after they moved West, until the Milwaukee Bucks came into the league.

That means I enjoyed the Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain, and Gail Goodrich era as well. (Please note I have carefully left out Lew Alcindor/Kareen Abdul Jabbar. Had he stayed in Milwaukee, instead of wanting to jump ship, they could have rivaled the Boston dynasty)

I remember how WCCO TV carried their games on TV long before teams were in LA, and cities like Cincinnati had the Royals, Ft. Wayne was home for the Pistons, and Syracuse, NY was where the Nationals played (Wizards now I believe). They continuously carried a higher rating for their time spot than national broadcasts. They were the toast of the NBA then, as it appears they are now.

Even though I'm a Bucks fan, I'm now rooting for the Lakers. I guess old allegiances die tough.

"Go Lakers! Kick 76er butt!"

Wolf (Still crying over Bucks loss)

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/07/01 01:50 AM

If anyone needs me, I'll be in my living room eating crow. I'm sure this loss tonight has something to do with the conspiracy of the NBA to make the finals interesting.

Where is George Mikan when you need him? laugh

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/07/01 06:52 AM

I would like to say something witty, but the truth is I fell asleep on the couch at 1.30 and missed the whole thing. confused

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/07/01 08:12 AM

Well... they didn't look like "The Greatest Team In History." But since they really aren't, it was good to see them take a loss.

I'd hate to let Shaq & Kobe run around telling everyone how they single-handedly (notice they don't know the difference between single-handed & as a team) whupped up on the entire league.

Of course it's going to be difficult for Alan (Don't I deserve an Oscar for my acting the part of an injured prima donna?) Iverson to put up another one of his unconscious nights. So... if you're thinking Lakers in 5 or 6, you might be right.

As indicated by Cali, the NBA officiating does tend to make one wonder. I watched the Bucks spend seven games wondering why hacks across the throat when you're doing a lay-up, and muggings, were not being called fouls, while breathing on Iverson & company after having eaten garlic was a flagrant foul.

I love watching the officials turn their back on players when they complain. Especially when they know damned well the player was right... after having been hit for a foul that never existed. It reminds me of an old adage. "Don't try to confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up."

Wolf (Tired from watching 24 millionaires with a combined IQ of 110 "strut their stuff" on the court)

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/07/01 08:57 AM

Well, Real Madrid won la liga, so this phenomenon is not unique to the NBA.

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/08/01 08:16 AM

canal+ , finally got my answer.
Posted by: juiceg

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/08/01 11:03 AM

BEAT LA...

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/08/01 11:29 AM

That's good...I've got one: Beat the Blue Hens...which NBA team is in Delaware, anyway? :p
Posted by: Majesty318

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/08/01 05:27 PM

Ooh Real Madrid won??? smile Asterault help me here, I don't really know the difference between la liga and the UEFA stuff, etc., and I know I saw in El País last month that Bayern Munich beat them somewhere... did they just win the big game they won last year (they were against Valencia in the one I am thinking of from last year, in the last week of May)? Or is this a different league?

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/08/01 05:55 PM

Real Madrid won the Liga ACB (basketball). They are currently leading the liga de fútbol too, but we're not done with that season yet...

I think they beat Tau (Vitoria) in the playoffs (or are they still playing?).
Posted by: Majesty318

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/09/01 09:50 PM

Cool thanks CaliBasco. When is the fútbol season over? It is not still going on at the end of June right? (For someone who loves Real Madrid I guess I don't know much about the logistics of the game!)

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/10/01 07:37 AM

Real Madrid won the fútbol liga, 'clinched' so to speak, even though there are 2 more weekends or so.

The ACB is still in the semis - Tau or R Madrid, against Barcelona in the finals.

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/11/01 06:11 PM

I should've known that...I went to the ACB finals in 1992: Estudiantes Badalona vs. Real Madrid...and that was in mid-June...

BTW: Is Estudiantes still Estudiantes? They were really good in the late 80s and early 90s with Epi and a few other notables (normally the guys you'd see get beat-up on at the olimpiadas by USA and Lithuania...), but still some good play. I haven't looked recently to see if they're still around...

Also: Lakers 2-1...the McDonald's Challenge should be interesting this year, no matter who wins the NBA...

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/12/01 06:18 AM

Estudiantes is in Madrid.

However there is a team called 'Joventut Badalona,' I assume this is it and they joined the 'let's change our name to Catalan' fad.

All prime smackdown material for even the LA Clippers. laugh

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/12/01 04:56 PM

Yes...you are correct, sir. I forgot it was Joventut. I thought initially they were Juventus, but knew that was in Italy, so went with Estudiantes...

Who were the other "stars" in their heyday? All I remember is Epi (who actually played for Barça) and some point guard they had with a name like Villalobos or something...he was quick, but would've been spit out by any PG in the NBA.

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/13/01 12:59 PM

I don't know really as I have only been here a year and follow the footie more (incidentally tonight my beloved Fiorentina plays Parma for the Italian). I like the interviews with the American hoopsters on Spanish TV though with their thick accents.

Also the NBA tonight - I hope tattoo boy is rested as this is a must. Maybe Shaq will be off making one of his fine cinema or musical pieces instead. laugh

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/14/01 05:27 PM

Yeah, I remember those great interviews. Probably a lot like Dikembe "Cookie Monster" Mutombo speaking to Peter Vecsey after the game last night. Mutombo from Africa and Vecsey from Brooklyn. Who won, anyway? Oh yeah, the Lakers. :p

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/15/01 07:03 AM

Well there's still one game left, maybe Shaq 'Kazaam' O'Neill will have an off day and cost them a game. My poor ex-city needs a morale booster. With the Phillies and the Eagles (some weird game with a longish ball), self-esteem is not what one would call good.

Don't like Mutombo much eh? I don't know much about him, I've been out of the States long enough to be out of the sports 'know.'

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/18/01 01:01 PM

Thread closed. A sad day for America. frown

Re: NBA on TV in Barcelona? - 06/18/01 03:51 PM

Enhorabuena a Los Lakers! A Laker fan has spoken, NOW the thread can be closed. :p