HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!)

Posted by: Rob

HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!) - 03/19/01 05:13 AM

Hi there. Coming to Madrid this week and desperately need to find a bar that will be showing the England v Finland game on Saturday. Does anyone know anywhere that will be showing it or even whether it's being shown at all?

All help appreciated and rewarded with a beer.

Thanks
Posted by: nevado

Re: HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!) - 03/19/01 05:21 AM

Try The Quiet Man on c/Valverde.
Posted by: skg2

Re: HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!) - 03/21/01 07:03 AM

the place is called "The Sports Bar" that should have it, this is near....i am not sure the nameo of the metro stop but on the brown line after colon and alonso martinez....san bernardo maybe
Posted by: Anchovy Front

Re: HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!) - 03/22/01 09:12 AM

Antonio, EVERYBODY in the whole world knows about England's football team (You know, the one that beat Spain out of sight recently ......OUCH! )

Rob, try this page for some info. The game's on Sky Sports 2, so I imagine every Irish pub will be showing it.
http://www.madridman.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000208.html

Inger-lund, Inger-lund, Inger-lund...

Re: HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!) - 03/27/01 07:42 AM

Just a quick thank you for your advice. As it was, we never made it to Madrid! The moral of the story? Never ever ever ever travel with bloody EasyJet. They are complete b@st@rds.

Cheers
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!) - 03/27/01 01:06 PM

Rob

Oh, no, what happened?

Jo-Anne
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!) - 03/27/01 01:09 PM

Uh-oh. I think Jo-Anne's beginning to sweat.

Re: HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!) - 03/27/01 01:29 PM

Perspire gently actually!

I wonder whether I want to know what happened with Rob?

Jo-Anne

Re: HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!) - 03/28/01 06:04 AM

Hi, Jo-Anne, what happened was that it decided to snow at Luton Airport for about an hour very early last Wednesday morning (21st March). We had arrived well in time for our 6.30am flight when it was announced that the airport would be shut while they cleared the snow. At about 8.00am they reopened the airport. Hurrah, thought we, we'll soon be on our way. Other, proper, airlines flights began to move and our optimism began to rise. Then, disaster! EasyJet announced that all their flights that day had been cancelled for mysterious "operational reasons". It turned out that the real reason was because once a certain number of slots have been missed, they just cancel flights rather than inconvenience people on other airlines. We were upset to put it mildly! I phoned EasyJet's laughably titled Customer Service department to be told that the reason our flight had been cancelled was because planes could not land in Madrid! Now, I'm no expert, but that sounded pretty implausible to me. Was the weather really so bad all day last Wednesday in Madrid? Anyone who can shed some light on this, please do.

Anyway to cut a long story a bit shorter than it already is, we have decided to have another go in the autumn when we've got some more holiday and this time, we're going to fly with Iberia or BA . Sorry to bore you all with my tale, but sometimes you need to get these things out of your system.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-28-2001).]
Posted by: kbl

Re: HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!) - 03/28/01 04:03 PM

Strongly recommend BA!!! Try a search on Iberia and see what you get!!!

Re: HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!) - 03/28/01 04:14 PM

Rob,

What a disaster! How are easyJet going to make it up to you? Not that they can compensate properly for all your plans etc.

They can't really carry on like that can they - their stories sound far fetched. There must have been several hundred easyJet passengers affected by this.

Oh, well, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for August from Liverpool (no snow hopefully!).

Thanks for passing the information on - hope it wasn't too painful for you.

Jo-Anne
Posted by: Anchovy Front

Re: HELP!!!!!! (Madrid bar to watch English football?!) - 03/29/01 09:45 AM

Hey Jo-Anne, I remember British Rail cancelling trains because there were leaves on the tracks........no, forget it, it doesn't matter.......I mean, August is a bit early for leaves on runways, isn't it?