I LOVE Spanish Food!!

Posted by: MadridMan

I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/21/00 10:10 AM

Is it JUST me or does Spain have THE BEST food on the planet???
I almost ALWAYS gain weight when I'm visiting Spain with their wonderful bocadillo de calarmes (fried squid sandwiches), jámon serrano, cochinillo (roasted, suckling pig), tortilla patata/española (a potato, egg, and onion omelette), and all that wonderful Spanish beer (Mahou, San Miguel) and wine (Rioja by the glass full!).

Has anyone else tried the Museo del Jámon bar/eateries in Madrid? They have a website @ http://www.museodeljamon.es . These are among my favorites for faster/cheaper foods. I often go there for a quick bite and a caña de cerveza (glass of beer) when I'm in the old, city center - which is MOST of the time. I usually order the tortilla española at the bar with a beer and they always give you a free tapa like a small dish of chorizo (a kind of sausage), ham, or olives. The free tapa changes from day to day (or even within the same day), but you can almost be sure to get one if you order a beer.

I'm fortunate enough to have a small, latino grocery story in my town and last weekend I filled up on fresh chorizo español, cans of green olives stuffed with anchovies (from Spain), cans of mejillones (mussels, also from Spain), and MANY cans of fabada (a garbanzo bean and chorizo soup -- VERY salty). At this place you can also buy olive oil from Sevilla. WOW! I'm so happy to have this place.

What kinds of Spanish food do YOU like???

Saludos,

MadridMan
Posted by: kgordon48

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/21/00 05:42 PM

MadridMan,

Next time you are in albuquerque go to the Cafe Broadway. Really good tapas and spanish quisene. Flamenco on some saturday nights. ken in abq.
Posted by: Sofia

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/28/00 11:54 AM

For an excellent dinner in Madrid, try the restaurant "Cuevas del Duque", near the Plaza de España. We had cream of asparagus soup, steak and potatoes, wine and ice cream. The steak was the best I had ever had. The atmosphere included bull fighting and art reproductions from the Prado. Our travel agent booked us a dinner there, and it was perhaps the best meal I ever ate in Spain.

I agree that Museo del Jamón near Puerta del Sol is a very good stop for food and drink.

[NOTE: I don't know which one is the authentic "Museo del Jamón".

The one near to Puerta del Sol has a website at
http://www.museodeljamon.com

the other "Museo del Jamón" is at
]http://www.museodeljamon.es]

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 05-28-2000).]
Posted by: PatM

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 06/08/00 10:40 PM

Sofia, what were the prices like? We're going in October and would like suggestions, preferably good but inexpensive food, where the locals eat. Thanks.
Posted by: Kate

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 06/09/00 01:39 PM

Unfortunately for my waistline, I, too, love Spanish food. I have visited Museo de Jamon, at least one or two of them, for a sandwich and a beer, always standing up at the bar!

Las migas, both made with bread and flour(the Andalusian style with melon), is one of my most favorite dishes, aside some all other Spanish staples that I enjoy.

Anyway, I am wondering if a restaurant in Madrid still exists. The last time I was there was November of 1998. It is called Isla del Tesoro and is on Manuela Malasana, 3. Has anyone been there?

Thanks,
Kate
Posted by: BBEddie

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 07/04/00 07:46 AM

I certainly have to agree that food in Madrid and nearby is extrodinary.
I just returned 6-1-00 from 10 nights in Madrid with my wife and my parents. My parents are in their 70's and I decided it would be nice to explore our heratage with them. This was my 4th trip to Spain but their first. We got a great deal $926.00 per person for 10 nights at the Suecia hotel **** which was nice but had a strange quirk of turning off the a/c at 11:00 P.M.and air fare on BA,so you had to stop at Heathrow but what the hey these prices it was fine.
The dollar was very strong and we ate at very good restaurants for very cheap money.
We ate at the Museo de Jamon and had a very nice lunch one afternoon. A plate of their best Iberico was about $8.00 but everything else was cheaper and very good. One restaurant that was inexpensive and very good was La Trucha near the Plaza de Santa Ana off I believe Calle Principe. The fried green peppers and fresh trout was out of this world. The bill for 4 was about $45.00. with tip. Dinner at the touristy but excellent Sobrino de Botin with a bottle of Vina Monty Gran Reserva Rioja was $118.00 for 4. I traveled to Paris in Nov and the meal we ate at Botin would have cost $400.00 easily.Spanish food uses the best of ingrediants and cooks them so that their natutral flavors grace your palette. What they can do with Merluza (hake) is mouthwatering. We ate a nice farewell lunch at the Cafe Gijon a very upscale cafe made famous by Spanish literati for lunch. We were treated very nice by the totally professional staff and ate a fabulous Colgada of Merluza in a saffron broth with carmelized onions and of course the full Spanish meal from appetizers to dessert with a glass of Lepanto Brandy and again this bill was $125 for 4.
These prices for upscale restaurants are outrageously low. So imagine what the dollar will buy in Spain. Even sitting on the street in Plaza Santa Ana ordering 2 beers each 3 raciones and coffee was less than $25.00 for 2.
We rented a car and did day trips from Madrid for 6 days visiting El Escorial, Avila, Segiovia,Toledo,Cuenca (my favorite day trip) Chinchon and Aranjuez.
Ate at the best restaurants in those places and never topped $140.00 for 4. Again let me stress that these type of meals in NYC where I live would be between $250 and $300 meals.
Now is the time to go to Spain. You can upgrade yourself just because the dollar is so strong.
But it does seem to be going down this month so get their quickley.
In comparison, comparable meals in Paris would be astronomical. I ate at Jacques Cagna 1 star Michelin for my anniversary with another couple and dinner was $800. It was an excellant meal.In New York at comparable restaurant like Union Square Cafe that meal would have been less than $500
So you see currently Madrid is the culinary bargain of the western world
Posted by: Eddie

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 07/04/00 11:50 AM

Hey, bbEddie: You didn't say where you dined in Segovia. IMHO there are two 'World Class' restaurants in Segovia that can make Botin's in Madrid look like a second class establishment: Meson de Candido and Casa Duque (where the Maestro Asador slices the cochinillo asado with a plate). If you missed that, you need to go back soon.

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 07/04/00 12:37 PM

Eddie, during my first trip to Spain/Madrid in 1995 my lady-friend took me to Segovia and we had lunch at Meson de Candido and THAT'S where I had my FIRST cochinillo asado. OH MY GOD!! I think it was at THAT moment that I was absolutely HOOKED on Spanish food/cooking.

I think it's the grandson of the original owner of Meson de Candido that now runs the restaurant. I saw him interiewed on TV once, in the restaurant. He spoke English pretty well and demonstrated how one could cut the pork with the plate.

This restaurant is JUST beautiful! We ate in the dinning room on the second floor and had a BEAUTIFUL view of the golden, Roman aquaducto, glowing from the lowering sun.

I'm not entirely positive, but I believe we saw the original, older owner at the restaurant while we were there. I also believe he has since died.

It's true that Meson de Candido is known as THE place to get THE BEST cochinillo asado in all of Spain. I can't wait to go back.

Saludos, MadridMan

-----------------------
Love Spanish food? Consider a Penélope Casas cookbook of Spanish cooking on MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-04-2000).]
Posted by: Eddie

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 07/05/00 06:26 AM

Yes, but: I have to confess that I found a better place for roast suckling pig - it's in Portugal, in a region called Mealhada. There it is called Leitoao (lay-tone) and it is the specialty of that region.

Sorry, I have been unfaithful MadridMan.
Posted by: BBEddie

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 07/22/00 07:12 AM

To Eddie and Madrid Man, Sorry it took so long to get back to you. While at Segovia we at El Duque and of course you are right. The suckling pig there was fantastic far outshining Botin.Theu also had these giant beans Judeones stewed with bits of pork, blood sausage and tripe that were a meal in themselves. In 1997, my then girlfriend and now wife went to Candido's and had a memorable time. Sitting by t he window looking out at the aquaduct and being greeted by the Master himself. Don Candido was very gracious and extremely friendly to my wife. The fact that she is very beautiful didn't hurt.My wife told him she wanted to steal the picture of Antonio Banderas and him and Don Candido took her to a back room when she came out she had a small sangria jug with the words "Stolen from Meson Candido". My wife and I were saddened when we learned that he died in '89.
I must say that the cochinillo in El Duque was the best I've had.But my mother had it at the Casa Colgada restaurant in Cuenca and that also was excellant. I believe that this cuisine comes from the Cuenca area.
Have you guys ever eaten Cigales. Langostines I believe they are called here.
Expensive as hell, $58.00 for 4 not much meat but what a taste
Posted by: Diana

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 07/22/00 11:04 AM

Hola, BBEddie,

Several years back, when I still lived in Madrid, I made Sopa de Cigalas for the big cena de Nochebuena. It was a recipe from the Sunday magazine in the newspaper, and originally came from the restaurant La Cava Real. It was the most exquisite seafood soup I'd ever tasted, and was a great hit with the family. The meat of the cigalas, floating on top of the soup, was heavenly. The recipe was labor intensive, and I haven't made it since, but it sure was memorable.

I admit I get frustrated buying seafood here in the States. I guess I was spoiled in Spain. It's so hard to find fresh fish here, and the variety is so limited. I also wish they'd sell gambas and such with the heads still on, like they do in Spain. That's where all the flavor comes from. The Sopa de Cigalas recipe relied heavily on the heads of the cigalas.

If anyone out there is interested in swapping Spanish recipes, I'm interested. We eat Spanish food all the time at home. Spain is where I learned to cook, and I just love the food. I also think it's super healthy, and usually quite easy to prepare.
Posted by: rgf

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 07/22/00 11:52 AM

I ate at Candido's in Segovia a couple
of decades ago-- Candido was welcoming, and I still remember the meal: sopa de cangrejo (crab soup) followed by the cochinillo, lots of red wine... and of course that glass of Brandy. Candido said to me, so you came all the way from Salamanca, huh? And I was so surprised he guessed: but it was the Boton charro (distinctive jewelry) from Salamanca that gave it away. If you love seafood, go to Galicia (Santiago, La Coruna, etc). Every bar is a feast! rgf

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 07/27/00 06:37 PM

Segovia Restaurants: Casa Duque versus Candido

My ladyfriend arrived just last night. Between nuzzles, we got to talking about her meeting a friend, another madrileña, in Segovia (who was taking a summer course) for dinner last week.

My ladyfriend made arrangements to meet her friend at the door of Candido. Arriving early, she went to have a glass of wine. The second party came after awhile and they discussed where to eat that night. The woman who was taking the summer course in Segovia said that she didn't want to eat at Candido because she had heard the quality of food was in decline for awhile so they decided to go to Casa Duque (also in Segovia). My ladyfriend had the cochinillo and said it was BY FAR THE BEST she had ever had, in Segovia or anywhere in Spain, this included the former "excellent" years at Candido.

It's a shame that (it seems) Candido's reputation has since exceded it's quality. I guess once you get the "name recognition" reputation you can cut back on quality and still draw the tourists. BUT, this won't last forever.

I can't wait to try Casa Duque!

Saludos, MadridMan

--------------------------------
Love Spanish food? Consider a Penélope Casas cookbook of Spanish cooking on MadridMan's ALL Spain Market

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-27-2000).]
Posted by: miles

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 07/31/00 10:58 PM

i have been working in san diego for the past two weeks and had tapas at a bar called sevilla in the gas lamp quarter downtown! almost as good as being there! a home away from home. i had croquettas de pollo, calamari frito, cordero, and albondigas all washed down with san miguel and manzanilla. out of two weeks in san diego, there wasn't a night that i wasn't there. downstairs is a night club that features flamenco, salsa, as well as, disco. about as authentic a place you will find in the lower 48.
Posted by: megia

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 08/01/00 10:59 AM

miles,

thanks for the great post regarding tapas in San Diego... i will be going there soon and will surely check that out!

also, for more information on food, check out the discussion thread labeled "Ribera del Duero" under the same heading as this post. here is the link: http://www.madridman.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000004.html

we (and you all!) discussed wines and tapas bars both in EEUU and Spain in that HUGE thread, so there is a lot of good information.

enjoy!

ps> the only bummer about the san miguel beer sold here in eeuu is that it is from islas filipinas instead of spain... but it is san miguel, nonetheless!

ps> thanks again, MadridMan, for helping us all learn more about and stay current with La Segunda Patria (¡España!).
Posted by: Puna

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 08/01/00 11:28 AM

La Trucha is good - next time your there, try the asperagus - best I've ever had. It's a super place for tapas and wine or for dinner. Good atmosphere, prices are reasonable and the staff warm and welcoming ....
Posted by: loida

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 08/02/00 07:13 PM

I fell in love with Spanish food here in the US from Guillermo, one of my Madrileno friends. While in Spain, my husband and I gorged on foods from tortilla espanola con ali oli to pulpo a la vinagreta.
Spain is definetely a "foody" place, but I was wondering, why are most of the Spanish women Oh-so-skinny? I would like to know their secret...
Posted by: rgf

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 08/03/00 08:33 AM

Why are Spanish women skinny? (in general) 1) they are young (go look at their mammas) 2) they walk everywhere 3) they smoke cigs, which means they eat less (really!) 4) when they have their big meal, they don't follow it up with another big meal later in the day 5) they dance half the night away!
Posted by: megia

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 08/03/00 11:12 AM

hahaha... good answer, rgf...!

also, spanish have a good diet without highly processed foods, have a generally positive outlook, smiles on their faces even in the worst of times, and base their lives around ¡¡¡FUTBOL/SOCCER!!!

¡que viva la segunda patria!
Posted by: Nuria

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 08/03/00 12:48 PM

Why are we skinny? I think it is because of our way of life. Americans have a different time to lunch and dinner. We have breakfast at 8 or 9, lunch at 2 or 3 and dinner at 9 or 10. Than means that once that the dinner is done you don't eat much more. Here (America) you eat dinner at 6 so before you go to bed you are hungry again. Moreover our food is healthier (I think) and we walk everywhere. But, who knows, maybe it is in our genes!

[This message has been edited by Nuria (edited 08-03-2000).]
Posted by: brianh

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 08/09/00 11:43 AM

Patatas Bravas, Patatas Bravas..keep them coming!!
Posted by: Rubia66

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 08/09/00 03:29 PM

I have heard that there is a bar in Austin Texas that is called Malagas. They serve authentic tapas, and I have gotten rave reviews from people that grew up in Spain....
Posted by: Allen

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/04/00 03:58 PM

I am glad that this forum is here. I lived in Spain for 2 years from 90-92 and am taking my wife there for her 30th. I still remember the tiny bocadilla bar off of Plaza Major which has morcilla bocadillas and sidra in big old liter cups. Is it still there?
Posted by: mamacita

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/08/00 11:43 AM

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I just miss a simple tortilla bocadillo. G*d, that was so good!

Tapas are the best! Just try to go to a smaller mom and pop kinda place. The service is excellent and the food is incredible. Plus, the prices are much better. When I went to Barcelona we ate at Tapa Tapas and it was super expensive, not to mention not as good as the smaller places.

Bacalao rocks! I miss all the good bread and having "exotic" stuff like caracoles, anguilas, etc. etc. It was awesome, but i tell you - I don't miss any of that damn pate. Blech!
Posted by: NJmaria

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/19/00 01:49 PM

MM, your posting on the roasted suckling pig at Casa Duque made us want to go to Segovia for a day trip! So, just in case we find time, we would like to know where could we find Casa Duque or which street is it on?

Thanks,
....NJmaria

[This message has been edited by NJmaria (edited 09-19-2000).]
Posted by: Matt from Toronto

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/20/00 10:43 PM

Don't forget the cafe con leche .... the coffee you get in Spain is unbelievable. I'm convinced it's the milk ... shelf milk which we don't get here in Canada. It's a taste all its own. Anyone I know who's been in Spain comments on the great coffee.
Posted by: derek

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/26/00 01:19 AM

And I found it easy to say as well. Not like asking for a beer which seems to be one of those words involving half dozen lisping sounds...........
Derek

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/26/00 04:55 PM

MADRIDMAN OR ANYBODY,

Hi!I'm still waiting and hoping to get Casa Duque's address in Segovia. I posted my inquiry previously but no one seemed to "hear" me

Thanks in advance. 8)
Posted by: Antonio

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/26/00 07:12 PM

NJMaria,

[Sorry but I didn't notice your question]

I always recommend that you use official sites when searching for information on the internet. At this official site you have the information you were looking for.

I didn't expect you to find the address at this site but it's very easy to find the information. Try my favourite search engine Google . Just type there "casa duque segovia" and then select "Spanish". The first link Google provides has a list of restaurants (together with other things) including Casa Duque's one.

[Note that you will find different telephone numbers at the official tourist site and at the Google link. I don't know if both are right]

----

Uhm, it seems that people don't know where to go when doing some research for their trips . This gives me an idea. I think I could add a new section to my website where I would "teach" how to find tourist information. I'll let you know if I have enough time to do it.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 09-26-2000).]
Posted by: Angela

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/27/00 06:51 AM

Matt from Toronto,
Are you sure you can't get shelf milk there?
I was visiting my friends in Vancouver a few months ago, and they had some. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the name was Dairyland UHT 2%. I don't know if they sell it in your area, or it's only for B.C. but my point is they do have it in Canada.

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/27/00 08:50 AM

NJMaria, I found the Casa Duque restaurant through Google.com (as Antonio suggested - but you can use his link above too) on the Caminos de Arcipreste - Segovia website (in Spanish).

Casa Duque: C/ Cervantes, 12 - Telf. 921 430 537

Enjoy it for us too!!!! Saludos, MadridMan

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/27/00 12:12 PM

Thank you very much for the information, Antonio and MadridMan. Now, I can't wait to be there!!! 21 days to go...

....NJmaria

P.S.
MadridMan, I saw your livecam and it says you were sick. Hope you feel better.

[This message has been edited by NJmaria (edited 09-27-2000).]
Posted by: cantabene

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 10/03/00 06:43 PM

bbeddie:
54 dollars for four cigalas? Amazing. I haven't had one since 1960. They charged me 100 pesetas for it ($l.50 at the time) and I felt I was being ripped off. The market price was so much lower. I can understand inflation. But at this rate? Fantastic.
Cantabene
Posted by: juliagulia

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 10/16/00 09:29 PM

I recently went to Malagas in Austin Texas...it's not really Spanish food but the food is good. They had Sangria and calamares, but the waitor didn't know what paella was. It's located in downtown Austin on 4th street and the atmosphere is nice, but definately not typical Spanish. If anyone knows of any great Spanish restaurants in the Austin or Dallas area I would love to hear of them...thanks!
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 10/20/00 01:13 AM

I just stumbled on this thread. I love food, so this is right up my alley. I have to agree with MadridMan's initial comment on Mesón Candido. Of the four or five (not too many...) places I've had cochinillo, Candido is the pinnacle. If you go up the calle peatonal in Segovia, in la Plaza de Juan Bravo (I think...) there is a great little restaurant called Narizotas ("Big Nose's"). The sign out front advertises it as "un restaurante de un solo tenedor". The food is good, the prices were reasonable the last time I went, and ask for the "chef's surprise". We asked what it was and the camarero politely replied: "I can't tell you, it's a surprise." Good enough for me.

The last thing I want to add is Casa Manolo in Santiago de Compostela. I can't remember the address, and I know they've expanded since the last time I went there (sniff...1992), but this restaurant is INCREDIBLE...super cheap, and lots of great authentic gallego cuisine. All of the peregrinos know about it, and it's always full, which only adds to the ambience. MadridMan, do you know the address for Casa Manolo???

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 10/20/00 09:25 AM

"IMHO there are two 'World Class' restaurants in Segovia that can make Botin's in Madrid look like a second class establishment:"

Actually, Botin IS a second class establishment, according to the official restaurant catetories. It is this lower classification that has enabled one to eat there comparatively inexpensively (compared to restaurants in the first category) through the years.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 10-20-2000).]
Posted by: felisa410

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 10/22/00 05:05 PM

Just returned from Madrid. The best food we had was at Casa Gallega, Plaza San Miquel,8. The food was well priced and very good. The sangria with pink wine was unbelievable. The chicken in garlic, potatoes with onions, and the artichokes were mouth watering. Go to Chocolateria on San Gines around the corner for churros and hot chocolate.
Posted by: melaniebrenda

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/08/00 03:27 PM

regarding the eateries in segovia you were discussing a while back...

how much can i expect to pay for lunch or dinner at casa duque or meson de candido?
also, where are they located?

thanks!

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/09/00 11:01 AM

I'm not heavy into the links to the sites, but Meson Candido is a can't miss at the base of the aqueduct, on the city side to the left. As you go up the pedestrian street from the base of the aqueduct to the cathedral, you should pass Casa Duque on the left (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that second one!)

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/10/00 04:40 PM

Casa Duque is at c/Cervantes, 12.
www.mesondecandido.es is the site for the Meson Candido, but the link to "carta" doesn't have anything, nor does it list prices.

I want to say we actually got in and out (I don't drink...so don't know about wine prices) for well under $30 USD...I'll check my receipts at home. We did have the cochinillo, which is the house speciality (of course). I haven't tried Casa Duque, but Eddie might have some info on that.

[sorry. I had to fix your URL - it was .es and not the more common .com]

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 11-12-2000).]

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/13/00 01:33 AM

Thanks MM...I wasn't paying attention...
Posted by: uphilldeb

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/19/00 07:20 PM

K.

I don't know how it happened, but we hardly got to eat when we were in Madrid! Seemed like whenever we got through with some sight seeing adventure, it was late (which in Spain is normal), but everything was full up! Not a reservation could be made in any restaurant in our walking area.

Consequently, we only ate at Tapas Bars (yummy) and 1 restaurant. This one restaurant was right next door to Casa Patas (Flamenco place). It was absolutely disgusting. I swear, no matter how hungry you are - DO NOT eat at the restaurant next to Casa Patas.

We did eat incredible roast suckling pig in ChinChon. And we ate paella (sp?) in Barcelona to die for. I still can't believe we hardly ate anything more in Spain!!! I kept seeing things I wanted. Oh yeah, I did eat some WONDERFUL pastries at a little place. Divine!

Oh! Except for the castle in Cardona. OMG! Unbelievable food. And I swear, if I can find it, I will only buy olive oil from Spain from now on. It was so incredibly wonderful. Italian olive oil that I get here in the states does not compare. Plus, the olives in Spain? I'm sorry. The ones we ate were so wonderful - I have simply never eaten anything like them. Every time I go to the store now, I try some new brand in search of olives like those. I heard that only Portugal compares. But we didn't get to eat anything there either!!!

If anyone knows about any really wonderful Spanish olives I can get here that won't cost me a car payment, let me know!

Deb

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/19/00 11:17 PM

Deb:
About those olives. Check out an offering of the tiny and delicious arbequina olives, about a 6 1/2 pound container at a price that might surprise you, at La Tienda, www.tienda.com
Cantabene

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/19/00 11:26 PM

Also Deb, I see you live in California. I would think that if you went to nearly ANY latino market/grocery that they would carry a number of products from Spain, including olives. Mine, here, carries MANY varieties including my favorites, olives stuffed with anchovies! Mmmmm... They're $2.50 per 5¼ oz. (drained weight) can. Expensive, but for special events it's worth it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/20/00 06:58 PM

Just a question:

If you can't take chorizo (or whatever product you may think of) with you when you go to the US, how can you get them from that online store?.

Don't import laws regarding food apply to them?

Anyway, I'm glad you can get Spanish products there

------------------
Posted by: laduque

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/21/00 01:12 AM

Hey, try the olives imported by La Española Meats, they have a website. Also, I too will only have olive oil from Spain, and since you live in California, Trader Joe's carries pure Spanish olive oil. It is difficult to find it in the grocery stores here. They seem to be all products of Italy, which by the way, did you know, that most olive oil that says "product of Italy" may only be "packaged" in Italy, and in fact the olives come from Spain, the largest producer of olives in Europe. Still, for me, it must say, "Product of Spain".

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/21/00 08:59 AM

Antonio:
You can get those items here because some firms make them with imported spices, herbs and native recipes, but with domestic meat.
And they can be excellent, not discernably different from those made in Spain.
Cantabene

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/21/00 10:56 AM

Trader Joe's is about the only place I have found where you can get Spanish olive oil that tastes like Spanish olive oil! I usually bring back some each year - but it's a nuisance to have to do so. The comments on Italian olive oil being made really in Spain is so true - a family friend who owns restaurants is Italian - married to a Spaniard - lived many many years in Argentina and cooks divinely - told me that story ..... but what do the Italians do to make the good olive oil so heavy and gunky tasting???

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/21/00 05:52 PM

The import restrictions on food brought to the U.S. on your person (as opposed to buying on-line, etc.) seem to hinge on whether the food was 'factory-sealed'. You can stuff your suitcase full of chorizo as long as it's 'factory sealed'. You be the judge as to what that term actually means...

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/21/00 06:25 PM

I heard that in Italy and Greece they mix their olive oil (which is said to have worse quality than the Spanish) with Spanish olive oil and then they put "Spanish olive oil" in the label.

Therefore, I don't know if what you get there is the real Spanish olive oil. I hope so.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/21/00 06:46 PM

It must say "Product of Spain" and then we "know" it is from Spain. But here in the U.S. for some reason, people think things from Italy are better than from Spain, (blame that on ignorance, and people thinking Spain is south of the border), therefore, by saying "Product of Italy" , people may be more apt to buy it here.
It kills me to read articles or hear people go on and on about Italian food and products and how it is the best in the Mediterrean cuisine department. Not that there isn't anything wrong with Italian food. I just think the Italians knew how to market themselves here! It still amazes me that being in California, my choices for Spanish food are about 3, while every corner boasts an Italian restaurant. People don't know what they are missing!!!Oh well, i'm just biased.

That's my opinion, what's yours?

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent!

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/22/00 01:32 AM

I realize that I'm being heretical here (prepare the auto da fe) but in spite my passion for Spanish food I have to confess that I admire Italian cuisine even more. Italians have much of what the Spaniards have plus augmention by infinite varieties of pasta dishes.

If I had to choose only one cuisine, I'd go with Italian as exemplifed by all its variation from top to toe of the peninsula-- not just spaghetti and pizza.

If you think back far enough, you will recall that it was the Italians who taught the French how to cook. I don't know who taught the Spaniards how to cook--although they did a fine job.
Cantabene
Posted by: Guapetona

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/22/00 05:10 PM

The Italians and the French have done a remarkable job of marketing their food and culture. I asssume this has something to do with their mass immmigration into this country.
Spain has the second lowest emigration rate in the world after North Americans so there is probably a correlation between this and the shortage of Spanish food products.
Spanish cuisine has long been the envy of the rest of Europe. During the Napoleonic Invasion recipes from convents and monasteries were stolen by the French. Among these were cookbooks written by Ruperto De Nola, perhaps the most brilliant chef of the Middle Ages. His recipes and techniques have become the basis for much of what the world considers to be French cuisine.
A few examples of this: crema catalana, use of veal, pate, foie gras, bain marie, mousses, use of citric fruits in desserts..all Spanish.
These are just a few examples.
It must also not be forgotten that the Romans adored Spain not so much as a territorial conquest but as a gastronomic paradise.
Examples: Garum, azafran (saffron), capers, ..etc.
FYI The chef at "El Bulli" in Catalunya is considered by many experts as the Best Chef in the World. His name is Ferran Adria.
I've been there and he is remarkable!

------------------
Posted by: uphilldeb

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/25/00 02:38 PM

Hey guys!

Thanks for the input about the olives and olive oil. I'm going to check out tienda.com and I'm going to check Trader Joes when we go to the city. I just read a whole article about olive oil in Martha Stewart Living magazine and discovered that much of what is labled "Italy" is actually from Turkey! Too weird! At any rate, I'm a true fan of Spanish olive oil. Now I'll just have to find a favorite label to become a true devotee.

You have to understand that although I'm from California (where you would expect lots of Spanish foods and products), most of what people think of here as being Spanish is acutally Mexican. HUGE difference. Mexican food is TOTALLY different than what I ate of Spanish food. The food items that you find in the Mexican stores that are actually labled from Spain seem to be commonly Mexican (at least from my own admittedly limited experience).

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Mexican food too. But actually, here in California, ours is not true Mexican. Californian Mexican food generally has more cheese, is seasoned better (IMHO), and tends to combine lots of different dishes on one plate. I've been to Mexico, and their food is quite different.

Deb
Posted by: nicholas

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/25/00 04:12 PM

hi there deb:
i apologize for joining this conversation a bit late. hopefully you receive this prior to your next trip to the city. it is entirely true about the confusion and serious lack of spanish products in california. you would think with our historical and cultural ties that we would be much closer...unfortunetly this isn't true. i was born and raised in san diego and now live in san francisco. it is actually even more difficult to find spanish products here in northern california. as you said, the majority of the stores labeled as being latino are actually mexican markets. i couldn't agree with you more in regards to the differences in food from here in california as opposed to that in mexico.
in saying that, there is only one market in san francisco that i know of that stocks a variety of spanish products. there's a latino market in the mission distrct here in the city called casa lucas. they carry pimientos de piquillo, three different types of olives, a couple varities of olive oil, marinated sardines, bacalao, bomba rice, and fabada. they have two locations one on mission the other on 24th st. mind you i haven't been there in a while, this is based upon my last visit a several months ago.
oddly enough, trader joe's does have a good supply of spanish products considering the alternative. at the one i shop at they have olive oil from cataluna and another from toledo. what makes me happy is that they carry queso manchego, queso tetilla, queso cabrales and queso mahon. they also have a few spanish wines and cava.
adding to the olive oil discussion. i too am very partial to spanish olive oil. its i fruitiness and rich flavor is what sets it apart. i would add that some of the very best olive oil in the world comes from greece. the kalamatas that they press from have a wonderful flavor similar to spanish. note that in the store there is a ubiquitous brand by the name of STAR. this is actually a spanish oil that's produced by the borges family.

ps: guapetona, actually azafran came to spain via the moors. thus the arabic name.

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/27/00 10:43 AM

Guapetona, Can you give more info on the chef and the restaurant, El Bulli? Sounds like something everyone on the board would be interested in .....

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/27/00 01:28 PM

I've read many things about Fernan Adria in travel and food magazines. Apparently, El Bulli is located just outside of Barcelona and as mentioned before, Adria was voted the most exciting chef out of Europe last year.
What he is known for is creating these foam/mousse like concoctions like truffle foam or foie gras foam, dispensed out of a CO2 can(like the whipped cream canisters).
I have recently read, that in Madrid, this idea is being knocked off in many new upscale restaruants.
If you want to go to El Bulli, I suggest reservations far in advance, (taking the advice from Food and Wine mag. seriously)

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 11/28/00 04:35 PM

Puna-

Go to www.latimes.com. They just did a feature a few months ago on El Bulli and the chef there. Try a search, and I imagine you'll come up with something good!
Posted by: supaJack

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 12/01/00 01:00 AM

What do you call those deep fried lard balls? Are they even lard? I ate two of them (the one I squirted with lemon was better) and all my friends thought they were gross. Are they only served as tapas? I can't imagin that being a main course.
Posted by: Guapetona

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 12/01/00 06:28 PM

Hola Puna
El Bulli is north of Barcelona along the coast about 35 mins by car. You can also take a train up there.
There is a new website http://www.elbulli.com .
They offer a sampler menu for about 50 dollars where you get spoon sized tastes of their inventive dishes. It's cool because you never know what to expect next.
If your into trying new things then this could be something great for you.
However, if you like solid food then I don't know.
I'm vey adventurous so I loved it ))!

(Sorry! I just edited the URL to make it clickable)

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 12-01-2000).]
Posted by: pim

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/23/03 08:53 AM

As promised, here's an easy recipe for pisto, which I'll translate as: “Ratatouille Spanish style” (or at least the way I make it) rolleyes . I've tried to find the original thread for recipes that Fernando started last year, but couldn't, so, here it goes:

Ingredients:

3 tomatoes
3 small potatoes, or 2 big ones
2 onions
3 cloves of garlic
2 green peppers
1 courgette
1 aubergine
olive oil (about 1 smallish glass)
salt
pepper (optional)
parsley (optional)
2-3 eggs (optional)

Peel the potatoes and cut them the way you would to prepare a "tortilla de patata'. Wash all the veggies, dry them off with absorbent kitchen paper, and then dice the aubergine and the courgette into 2 cm, or ¾ in cubes, slice the peppers into strips and the onion into rings, and chop the garlic. Peel the tomatoes as well, remove the seeds and any hard parts, and dice.
In a big frying pan, casserole or somewhere similar, with hot olive oil, fry the fine slices of potato, the onion until transparent, and add the pepper and garlic; then add the aubergine and courgette, the tomatoes, check for salt, lower the heat a little, and leave to cook for around fifteen-twenty minutes. At last, you may add the previously beaten eggs, the ground black pepper, stir a little, and sprinkle with chopped parsley before removing from the heat.

Best if served in a casserole (earthenware) and either hot or at room temperature.

Voila! Bon appétit! (pardon my French, he, he!) laugh

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/25/03 07:50 AM

Recipe for the very typical dish: "Boquerones en vinagre', or Fresh anchovies in vinegar.

Ingredients:

300 gr (10 oz) anchovies
Wine vinegar
Garlic
Fresh parsley
Salt
Olive oil

To clean the fish, run your index finger along the belly, completely opening the anchovies. Pull gently from the head and separate the spine from the flesh. Wash the fish thoroughly in cold water and allow to dry. Divide each anchovy into two fillets. (You might be able to avoid doing most of this if your local fish merchant is nice enough to do the cleaning for you! laugh )
Place the anchovies in a container and cover with the vinegar. Leave to marinate for two to three hours until the flesh softens.
Meanwhile, finely chop the garlic and the parsley, which should always be fresh. After the marinade time, rinse the anchovies well, removing all the liquid.
Place them on a platter, sprinkle with the garlic and parsley, and season with salt. Finally, drizzle with olive oil until they are covered. And that's it, done! (These anchovies are just as good eaten the next day, and even after a couple of days, if kept in the refrigerator. smile ) Best accompanied by some bread, so they can be served as canapés.

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/27/03 11:52 AM

Tortilla paisana, or “Omelette country style”. (This is really a variation of the amazing but plain tortilla de patatas) smile

Ingredients:

500 gr (1 lb) potatoes
6 eggs
100 gr (4 oz) green beans
100 gr (4 oz) peas
50 gr (2 oz) Spanish ham
50 gr (2 oz) chorizo
1 onion
Olive oil
Salt
(Note: Some ingredients may vary to taste, as happens with most Spanish dishes, other possible ingredients are green peppers, tomatoes,….)

Peel the potatoes, wash them, and chop into fine smallish pieces. Finely chop half the onion in the same way.
Heat plenty of olive oil in a frying pan and add first the potatoes, then the onion, together with a dash of salt. Fry on a low heat, stirring occasionally, making sure that they are cooked through, but do not brown much.
Chop the beans and cook, together with the peas, until tender.
Chop the other half of the onion and add to a frying pan with some olive oil. Fry until the onion becomes transparent, then add the ham and chorizo (both diced), the beans and peas (once strained), and finally add all of this to the potatoes, draining off any surplus oil (saving some for later).
Beat the eggs with a little salt in a deep bowl, and add the mixture to the egg, stirring well.
Heat, yet again, a frying pan, well greased with some of the oil, and cook the omelette on both sides. Flipping it about a couple of times, or until both sides look golden brown, and….delicious!

Enjoy! laugh

Coming up: patatas ali-oli, bacalao a la vizcaína, croquetas de jamón, salmorejo, pollo al ajillo, etc....
Posted by: Shawn

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/28/03 01:14 AM

pim,
Outstanding!

I can't wait to try these recipes. I can't decide which one I'll try first. I hope I can find fresh anchovies in a nearby specialty seafood store. I can't tell you how many 'boquerones' I ate while in Spain, I just love them. laugh

Looking forward to other recipes from your kitchen,
Shawnito rolleyes

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/28/03 06:51 AM

Shawnito,

¡Graaaciaaas! laugh

Question: I was about to post the recipe for 'bacalao a la vizcaína', but I guess it would be "useless" if you can't find 'pimientos choriceros'(sweet red peppers¿?) in other countries, I really have no idea....Could anyone tell me if they exist in other places, please? confused (it's hard to believe you don't have the very tasty and healthy white asparagus in many places! frown )

BTW, any requests?

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/28/03 05:38 PM

Hello pim,

At least in Los Angeles, there is no problem finding fresh white asparagus. It usually cost a bit more than the green variety. I suppose some of the cheaper supermarkets don't carry it, but most of the better ones do offer it.

As for the sweet red peppers, I think most specialty Italian food stores offer them. They aren't cheap, but they are so good.

The bacalao may be harder to find. We have fresh cod, but the salted variety (bacalao) I don't remember seeing. Maybe CaliBasco or somebody else would know where to find salted cod.

One of the better aspects of living in a large multicultral city is having access to nearly all the worlds ingredients. Sadly, those who don't live in the largest cities don't have such good luck.

Saludos
Posted by: esperanza

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/28/03 06:29 PM

Pim
Here in NY white asparagus is very hard to find. (Perhaps at specialty shops where it is SO ridiculously expensive.) However, bacalao is pretty easy to find here and in the last few years even good chorizo can be found. Hooray! Thanks for posting your recipes..I love them... smile
Posted by: Fernando

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/28/03 07:04 PM

Good job Paloma smile

Se me está haciendo la boca agua laugh

Fernando
Posted by: Booklady

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/28/03 09:20 PM

Ooops! The ghosts in my computer are playing games again! laugh
Posted by: Booklady

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/28/03 09:24 PM

¡Oye, Paloma me vas a matar con tus recetas, hija!

I love Bacalao a la Vizcaina. The best, after my Abuelita's, I ate in Santiago de Compostela on Christmas day, 2001! I thought I had gone to heaven! Ay que rico!

Shawn,
I can get Bacalao at any Latino market here in North Florida, but I have found that our Publix supermarkets carries Canadian codfish in a box that tastes exactly like the bacalao español.

Pim, the pimientos morrones or sweet peppers are plentiful here as well. But as Shawn says if you buy the Italian brands they are pricey. I buy the 6oz. cans from Spain at my Latino Market and they are about .89 cents.

You may want to try La Tienda; or
La Española Meats;
or, you might try my favorite,
Cuban Food Market and see if they sell Bacalao.

I can't wait to try your recipe, Pim!

Buen Provecho, everybody! wink

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/29/03 11:40 AM

OK then, smile
Bacalao a la Vizcaína
“Biscay_style cod”

Ingredients:

500 gr (1 lb) salt cod
4 sweet red peppers
1 hardboiled egg yolk
2 onions
1 slice fried bread
2 cloves of garlic
6-8 almonds
Olive oil

Desalt the cod in various changes of cold water for 36-48 hours, depending on the thickness of the fish. Carefully remove the skin and bones, making sure the flesh remains as intact as possible. Cut into 3 or 4 pieces, dry with a cloth, and place in an earthenware casserole dish.
Place the peppers in very hot water to soak. (Note 1: you may just leave them to soak overnight, just like the fish. Note 2: I find it's perfect to use 1 pepper for each piece of cod.)
Chop the onion and the garlic, and sauté gently until the onion is half cooked and half fried, without letting it brown. Remove the peppers from the water, scrape off the flesh with a spoon and add to the oil, onion and garlic.
In a mortar, crush the fried bread, egg yolk and almonds, with a few drops of water. Add to the sauce and simmer for a couple more minutes. (Then strain through a colander if you prefer a thinner sauce).
Pour over the cod and cook on a low heat for 20 minutes.
¡Ya está! Now, it can be served in the same earthenware dish.

Booklady; thanks smile but, hey! I did not mean to kill anyone! eek laugh
Anyway, the "pimientos morrones'(red bell peppers¿?), fresh or canned, are meaty (the "pimientos del piquillo' are similar), and the "choriceros'(sweet red peppers¿?) are dry (but must not be mistaken for "guindillas'!)

Next up….flamenquines!

Esperanza,
I now like asparagus, specially the 'natural' kind, but love many other things just as much; when I was a very little kid, instead of Barbies or whatever, a couple of times I asked for a can of white asparagus for my b-day....and, of course, got them! laugh rolleyes

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/30/03 10:19 AM

Flamenquines
Uff!....Little beef rolls (¿?)

Ingredients:

6 thin beef fillets
3 eggs
6 sliced cured ham (jamón Serrano!, ok, ok, “regular” ham if you can't get it)
30-36 pitted green olives
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 Red bell pepper
White wine
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
1-2 tomatoes (optional)
1-2 carrots (optional)

Stretch out the fillets and season lightly, bearing in mind that the ham is quite salty.
Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and prepare a very flat French omelette.
On each fillet, place a slice of ham, a few strips of omelette and pepper and a few pieces of chopped olive. Roll up the fillets carefully, making sure that the other ingredients stay in place, and tie the rolls with a string or fasten with a few toothpicks (which is a little easier). Fry in hot oil and place in a saucepan.
Finely chop the onion and the garlic (along with some small dices of tomato and carrot if “you're into” sauces wink ), and fry in the same oil used for the rolls. Add a glass of white wine when the onion begins to brown. Bring to the boil, pour over the flamenquines and cook for about an hour until the meat is tender (stick a fork to test).
The sauce can be served as it is or strained.
They're great garnished with some mashed potatoes.

Next up, two very simple recipes for "gambas al ajillo' and "patatas ali-oli' in Mman's honour; I just read the last part of his journal and it's so moving, sniff, sniff! frown
I'm even thinking of posting a recipe for "pulpo a la gallega', dedicated to Mman and all the octopus lovers out there, though I'm not a big fan myself, so it's something I've never cooked before! :p
(BTW, Mman, DO NOT feel bad for not leaving a tip at Botín; as you know, here in Spain that is not mandatory AT ALL (waiters don't expect it, it's not the same system as in the States), and I think a €100 plus dinner for only two people is enough, WOW! eek
Posted by: OsoMajor

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 04/30/03 11:46 PM

I have been reading all the posts here on this thread as I am a newby to the Board. Regarding the olive oil, yes it is true that much of the so called Italian olive oil is Spanish olive oil. It is some what of an embarrassment to the Italians as they are so recognized by their use of olive oil. Also, with regards to Spanish food in California; it is extremely difficult to find a Spanish restaurant here, and don't even ask about Basque food! I currently live in Anaheim which is 35 miles south east of Los Angeles. In my 40 plus years of living in California I know no more than 10 Spanish restaurants throughout the State. Im sure there are more but I've only encountered ten and two Basque restaurants. If you want to find Spanish food products, go to 'Latino' markets which are different from the Mexican markets here in California. Although Mexican markets carry some Spanish products the Latino markets cater to Cuban and Central American products. Any store that sells Cuban products you will also find Spanish products. It is a damn shame that California lost so much of it's Spanish connection. Though if you travel through our beautiful state especially in Southern California you'd swear you were in Spain.
The city of Santa Barbara is the perfect example of Spanish culture here in California. Also, here in So. Cal we are blessed with the Mediterranean climate that everyone envies.

Saludos,
OsoMajor
Posted by: mencey

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/01/03 12:30 AM

Welcome to the board neighbor! Occasionally, those of us MM members here in So Cal have dinner gatherings where we meet at a Spanish Restaurant, we'd love to have you join us. We had a gathering about a month ago and the next gathering is not yet planned. Again, welcome!

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/01/03 11:29 PM

Howdy neighbor...my, we're only 15 miles apart. Thanks for the invite. Yes, please let me know of any future gatherings. My wife and I would really enjoy it. My wife suffers from Fibromyalgia, (among other medical ills), so we don't go out very often. She is not very familiar with Spanish food except for dishes I've made for her. I don't want to brag but my Paella is to die for!!!! laugh .
I have an aunt by marriage that is from Asturias and she taught me to make some dishes as well as Paella. I love to cook and I'll add some recipies later on. Thanks again and glad to meet ya!

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/02/03 10:21 AM

PATATAS ALIOLI

Ingredientes:

500 gr (1 lb) potatoes
1 egg
1 lemon
3 cloves of garlic
Olive oil (or sunflower oil in this case)
Parsley
Salt

Peel, wash and chop the potatoes (into medium sized chunks). Cook in a pan with salted water until soft so they can be pierced easily with a toothpick. Once cooked, remove from the pan, drain and place in a plate or a bowl.
While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the alioli. Make a mayonnaise with one egg, a glass of oil, the juice of half a lemon (or a few drops of vinegar, or a little bit of both), salt, and a tablespoonful of tepid water if you like a more liquid mayonnaise, using a mixer (or is it a blender?, anyway, you know what I mean confused rolleyes ).
In a mortar, peel and crush the three cloves of garlic to form a smooth paste and add to the mayonnaise bit by bit, mixing very well.
Spoon the alioli over the potatoes and sprinkle with some chopped fresh parsley.
Serve cool. rolleyes

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/02/03 10:28 AM

GAMBAS AL AJILLO

Ingredientes:

500 gr (1 lb) fresh prawns/shrimps
2 chilli peppers (guindillas really)
6 cloves garlic
Olive oil
Pepper
Salt
Parsley

Remove the heads and “skin” of the prawns, as well as the intestine or black string that runs along their bellies. Wash the prawns in cold water and dry well.
Cut the chilli peppers into rings and remove the seeds. Chop the garlic.
Heat olive oil in an earthenware casserole if possible, or a frying pan; fry the garlic, and when it begins to brown, add the chilli and the prawns. Season lightly and fry for a couple of minutes, stirring well until the prawns are cooked. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley as a nice final touch.
Serve while they're still very hot.

Next up....mmm....I'm not sure! I meant to post an easy recipe to make the very Spanish, 'pollo al ajillo', but now I realize that would be too much garlic for now! eek laugh
So, any requests? smile

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/03/03 12:11 AM

All you guys are making me terribly hungry and making my mouth water!!! Well, as I promised Im contributing a recipe of my own. My Mom used to make this just for me laugh .

Oxtail Stew
(recipe follows on next post)

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/03/03 12:11 AM

Oxtail Stew: Rabo de Toro Estofado

5 pounds oxtails, cut in 2-inch thick rounds
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup red wine
1 large Spanish onion, diced
1 large carrot
1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup dry sherry wine
2 cans beef stock, unsalted
1 bay leaf
1 bunch thyme, chopped
3 to 4 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper
Coat oxtail pieces with the flour, make sure to season the flour, and sear them in olive oil. Remove from the pan. Add the onions and carrots and saute until onions start to caramilize, next add the garlic until it's slightly golden, (don't burn the garlic, it makes it bitter!). Sprinkle in the flour and stir, allow the flour to brown. Pour in the red wine, stir, then pour beef stock and stir. Add the oxtails to the vegetables. Continue by adding in the tomatoes, sherry, bay leaf and thyme and simmer for approximately 2 to 3 hours.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Serves 4
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/03/03 05:54 AM

Sigh - very very hungry now ...

pim - more garlic's fine, I'd love you to post the 'pollo al ajillo' recipe.

Thanks everyone for all these recipes, I hope to have a go at some of them when I've finished with exams. We've been living off baked beans and tomato soup recently due to my incapacity as a proper mother eek

Mind you I'll have to get an excercise program together as well rolleyes

Jo

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/03/03 06:49 AM

Gambas al Ajillo is SO easy to make and it's so VERY delicious! And don't forget the "real bread", dunking chunks of it into the spicy olive oil and gobbling it up. Yummmmm.. So good. I love to make it from time to time. Usually with it I'll put out a bowl of Spanish anchovy-stuffed olives, mejillones en escabeche (mussells), and have some Spanish wine and TA-DA!! You're TAPEANDO!!

Saludos, MadridMan laugh

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/11/03 05:10 PM

HUEVOS A LA FLAMENCA
“Flamenco-style” eggs

Ingredients:

100 gr (4 oz) peas
100 gr (4 oz) green beans
2 tomatoes
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
100 gr (4 oz) chorizo! (Spanish sausage)
100 gr (4 oz) cured ham ("jamón serrano'!)
1 tin asparagus tips
Pimentón (paprika)
6 eggs
Olive oil
Salt

Cook the peas and the beans in salted water until tender. Drain and put to one side.
Finely chop the onion and garlic and fry in oil. Remove the tomato skin (scalding or peeling them), and chop into pieces. Add to the pan when the onion begins to brown, together with a teaspoonful of paprika. Cook on a low heat for about 5 minutes, add the diced ham and the slices of chorizo and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the peas and beans and a small amount of water from cooking the vegetables. Season with a little salt and pepperand leave to cook for a further 5 minutes.
Distribute the mixture into individual ovenproof dishes, removing the chorizo first.
Break an egg into the centre of each dish, placing a slice of chorizo and an asparagus tip next to the yolk.
Place in the oven at a medium temperature until the egg white sets.
Remove from the oven, serve straight away, and….

¡¡¡OLÉ!!! laugh

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/11/03 06:45 PM

Specially dedicated to Jo....POLLO AL AJILLO
Chicken in garlic (made easy) smile

Ingredientes:

1 chicken
6 cloves garlic
Olive oil
Brandy
Salt
Parsley

Get rid of the remains of any feathers, wash the chicken thoroughly, dry well and cut into small pieces.
Thinly slice the garlic and use to rub the chicken pieces, together with a little brandy. Leave to stand for an hour, then remove the garlic pieces and put to one side.
Season the chicken and fry in batches in hot oil until golden brown.
Use part of the same oil to fry the garlic left over from marinating the meat, and pour over the chicken.
Serve straight away, sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley.

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/11/03 07:56 PM

Pim, you read my mind. I was thinking about Huevos al la Flamenco just this morning and was thinking of making some for my wife for Mothers' Day. I made a Tortilla instead. Your recipe is similar to mine except that I don't use green beans and we don't have jamon Serrano. But the sofrito is similar and I use Black Forest ham or another dry type of ham instead of Serrano. wink

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/11/03 09:34 PM

Thanks pim and osomayor!!

I plan on trying the huevos a la flamenca this week. This is a Spanish dish that I have never tried, and it sounds great.

I made the patatas alioli yesterday, and they tasted just like the ones that I ate regularly while in Spain.

Buen Provecho

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/16/03 01:15 PM

¡Hola! smile I just remembered this “'tapita'” that goes great with some “'cervecita”', it was one of my favourites when I was a kid (with a "mosto' or a "clara').

GAMBAS CON GABARDINA
Prawns in batter (literally, prawns in overcoats (made easy)).

Ingredients:

250 gr (8 oz) prawns
150 gr (5 oz) flour
Beer
Saffron
Baking powder
Olive oil
Salt
Rinse well the uncooked prawns, peel and remove the heads, but leave the tails. Season lightly with salt.

In a bowl, mix the flour, a tablespoonful of yeast, salt and a pinch of ground saffron. Stir in some beer to obtain a thick cream.

Heat plenty of oil in a frying pan. Pick up each prawn by the tail and dip into the batter until evenly coated. With the prawn still in your hands, and with the help of a spoon or similar, start frying them in the hot oil, making sure they don't stick together.

Serve freshly fried.

P.S.: Wow, OsoMayor, what a coincidence about the eggs! laugh
Thanks Shawnito!, I'm sure your 'alioli' was yummy. cool
Sorry, my intention was to post the recipe for "cocido madrileño', but I'm too lazy to do it today. eek
Posted by: Jo-Anne

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/16/03 02:42 PM

laugh laugh

Quote:
Specially dedicated to Jo....POLLO AL AJILLO
Chicken in garlic (made easy)
LOL Thanks pim! rolleyes rolleyes
Posted by: zorro37

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/16/03 03:22 PM

Sorry to rain on the parade a little. Yes, the food is marvellous in Spain & so inexpensive as other writers have said particularly when comparing with France. I daren't get into the topic of Spanish women & why they are so slim- I would be writing for hours about the worlds most atttractive women. But these comments on a strong dollar? IMHO the euro has nver been stronger against the $ & pound sterling. Still, Spain is still cheap & Heaven!

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/17/03 02:03 PM

Pim my dear...I think Im falling in love...well, with your cooking at least! wink Your recipies are wonderful. Your Gambas Con Gabardina is similar to the beer battered shrimp we have here in the US, except that they're not fried in olive oil, nor include the saffron.

I enjoy cooking, especially appetizers or dinner menus. I like making an atmosphere for myself, i.e. a glass of wine or beer, music that fits the menu, presentation. As I kid I used to watch the Galloping Gourmet (Graham Kerr), and loved his style of cooking. It stuck with me ever since.

I also got my interest in cooking from my parents, both worked at a french restaurant for many years, (La Louisianne)in San Antonio, Texas, (my hometown). He was a waiter,(which btw they left you alone only to observe your table), and my mom was one of the cooks. I learned most of my cooking from her...Gracias Mama! smile

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/19/03 11:25 AM

Aarghh….I have to post some "fresquita' recipe, it's so warm in Madrid these days, to give you an idea, it's still around 28-29 degrees (Celsius) at 21:00hrs., when the sun is setting. We've even had a couple of “summer-like storms”. BTW, if anybody is visiting soon bring sun lotion, I'm already reddish from talking a few walks over the weekend. The nights are great though! laugh cool
I'm not a big fan of "gazpacho' :o , so here's a good and very simple alternative:

SALMOREJO
Tomato and garlic soup

Ingredients:

1 kg (2lb) ripe tomatoes
1 kg (2lb) stale bread
2 cloves garlic
Olive oil
Vinegar
Salt
Pepper (optional)
Hardboiled eggs (optional)
Cured ham or jamón Serrano (optional)

Peel and chop the tomatoes. Slice the bread. Peel the garlic and cut into two or three pieces.
Place all this in a large bowl and mix with a hand blender. When the ingredients begin to mix together, add a glass of oil bit by bit (in three or four lots), blending constantly.

When the mix is even, add three or four tablespoonfuls of vinegar, salt to taste, and continue blending to form a smooth cream.

Check for oil, vinegar and salt, if necessary.

Place in the fridge to serve chilled.

Great served with a garnish of hardboiled egg and jamón Serrano. I also present it with toast cut sideways.

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/24/03 09:18 AM

“SUPER” CROQUETAS DE JAMON! laugh
Ham croquettes

Ingredients:

Flour
Milk
Nutmeg
Butter
100 gr (4 oz) cured ham (jamón Serrano). This recipe is also good for croquetas de pollo, if instead, you use chicken leftovers. Sometimes, I combine the two, like my grandma used to do, and it really works!
Breadcrumbs
1 egg (optional)
Olive oil
Salt

In a saucepan, melt a couple of tablespoonfuls of butter and add 4-5 more of flour.
When this mix begins to brown, slowly add the milk, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to prevent lumps from forming. Leave to cook slowly, adding milk from time to time. Add salt and a pinch of nutmeg for a perfect béchamel sauce, voila!. Dice the ham, sauté in a little olive oil (or you can avoid this if the dices are very small), and add to the pan. Continue stirring until the sauce is cooked.

Pour into a bowl and leave to cook for a few hours. Once cold, start taking portions of the mixture and use your hands to make “ovalish shaped balls”. Coat in breadcrumbs and fry in plenty of hot oil, or, if you prefer a little bit more consistent croquetas, dip in a beaten egg and then roll in breadcrumbs a second time.

I love the homemade kind both hot or made the previous day even. rolleyes

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/24/03 11:01 AM

I'm in heaven!!! Can you believe I was in Spain for 3-weeks last month and didn't have ANY croquetas de jamon? (I don't think) Maybe I'll have to fix them here at home myself. Thanks!!
Posted by: esperanza

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/24/03 11:23 AM

Madridman, if you look at Penelope Casas' Foods and Wines of Spain there is ane easy and very good recipe for croquetas which I have used many times. I know you would like it. Buen provecho.

Pim, I love your recipes...thanks for sharing them. smile
Posted by: marilu

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/29/03 06:34 PM

Madridman ... here is an easy to follow croquetas recipe ... I hope you take the time to prepare them ... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

1 cup of ham ... very, very, finely chopped ...
1 cup of milk
1 cup of flour
2 beaten eggs (add one table spoon of water to beat them)
1 cup of bread crums
3 tablespoons of very finely chopped onion
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of olive oil
----------
saute onion, add ham, add flour, milk, salt, & pepper. Cook slowly in low heat until it thickens. Work into a consistent dough, and let it get cold in the refrigerator for about an hour. Make round or egg shapped balls with dough. Roll them in bread crums. Dippen them in beaten egg, roll them again in bread crums. Fry in hot oil (medium heat) for about 2 minutes. Move constantly, do not let them get burn. There you have ... your "croquetas de jamon ..." How many you get? ... depends on the size of the balls.
Buen provecho!!! smile

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 05/31/03 02:00 PM

OK people, I believe I'd complained before about not being able to find yellow peppers in Madrid anywhere (it bothered me mainly because once in a while I like to "go oriental" laugh ), well I've finally found them, but get this; I bought 3 smallish ones for € 4'55!, where? well, of course at the 'fruteria Vazquez' in 'barrio Salamanca', known to be the veggies and fruits suppliers of the Royal family amongst others (our queen is a vegetarian). BTW, they are, of course, perfect-looking and sweet!

I hope this helps anyone who may have that silly little 'capricho' at some point.

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 06/03/03 10:51 AM

And continuing with the “food that goes great with some cañitas” theme cool :
CALAMARES FRITOS
Fried squid rings

Ingredients:

1 kg (2lb) squid
3 cloves garlic
Flour
Olive oil
Salt

Clean the squid by pulling the head to separate it from the body. Use a knife to cut the tentacles above the eyes. Make sure you have removed the tooth found inside the head. Remove the innards and quill, together with the skin covering the body. Wash the tentacles and body in cold water and dry.
Chop the squid into rings 1 cm(1/2 in) thick and leave to marinate for an hour in olive oil and chopped garlic. After this time remove the garlic and season the squid with a pinch of salt (though squid needs very little if any seasoning).

Coat each ring or strip in flour and fry in hot olive oil until golden brown.

Serve hot with chunks of lemon.
(Or in a "bocadillo', or with "salsa brava'(mmm!….I call those "“calamares bravos”', OR both!) laugh .
Posted by: taravb

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 06/03/03 11:23 AM

I think it's time for an official "MadridMan Members' Cookbook!" It's fun to read through these, but we need an easily printable format (yes, I know about the "printer-friendly view" option on the lower left side of the page...but then it's incredibly long!). MM, can you think of a way to do this that won't be too much trouble for you?

Maybe a separate recipe input page, with fill-in boxes for (1) the name of the recipe, (2) the ingredients, (3) the technique, and (4) the author. Then if the names of the recipes could all be on an index page, and clickable...and formatted for printing individually?

I know, I know, you've got too much to do already! But someday???

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 06/03/03 03:22 PM

taravb, by July 4th I'll put something together and make a page for these recipes on the little body of MadridMan.com which carries around this big, lopsided head of a message board. hehehe.. wink

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/16/04 05:45 AM

Hey, isn't it time someone revived this "MadridMan Members' Cookbook!" thread?! (I can't live you guys alone...) :p

Here we go, this is The Pimster's own recipe for:

PAELLA VEGETAL/DE VERDURAS - VEGGIE PAELLA

Ingredients:

Rice

Olive oil

Vegetable stock

Onion

Garlic

Green pepper

Tomatoe

Green beans

Artichokes

Peas

Salt

Saffron

Pimentón, (paprika, cayenne pepper ¿?)

Lemmon

'Pimientos del piquillo' or 'pimientos morrones' (sweet red peppers) (canned)

Start by frying lightly in the paella (paella dish) the chopped/diced green pepper, tomato, onion, and garlic in the oil; continue by adding the washed and chopped beans, the artichokes, the peas(I use frozen ones); stir for a while..., then add up the rice, the vegetable stock (or is it broth?), the salt and the saffron, stir some more, and let it cook....I add the yellow 'colorante' carefully and gradually as I see the rice slowly become tender. The rice we use over here for paellas is quite hard, so this last process can take at least 10 minutes, after the appropiate time, turn the heat to low and add the sliced red peppers, stir a little and turn the heat off. Finally, allow the rice to "rest" for at least five more more minutes (best if covered with some cloth.).

Important tip! From my experience, artichokes can turn your lovely yellowy rice into a quite dark one that looks like it belongs in 'arroz con calamares en su tinta' almost, in a matter of minutes; but you can avoid that nasty effect by rubbing them....., or like I do, which is simpler, washing the suckers in water with lemmon drops before cooking them.

Presentation tips; You can use the remaining slices of lemmon, a sliced boiled egg, and the red pepper itself to be creative and give your classy finishing touches.

Alteration tips; this is only my recipe, and it's quite basic, so a few ingredients can be modified; broad beans can be used instead of the green ones....; or you can add minced carrot to the stir-fry, or mushrooms, etc, etc.......

Last tip; you can skip the saffron (the real thing); even the saffron and the 'pimentón' altogether, and instead use a seasoning product called Carmencita which is pretty good. Of course the veggie broth could be homemade as well, I usually use stock cubes due to severe lack of time.... wink

Next up, the Pulpo a Feira recipe, specially dedicated to two big octopus lovers; Jo-Anne and MadridMan.

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/16/04 08:41 AM

hey Pimster - it's 8:30 in the morning here - and you have just made me hungry! You raised a good point - what did happen to the Cook Book concept -just between this thread and my plea for tapa help - there is the start of an original cookbook that might even make a few Euros. What about it members - shall we get organized on this? smile

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/26/04 02:17 PM

OK, I promised it, and even though I'm not a big fan....here it is:

PULPO A FEIRA
Galician-style octopus

Ingredients:

1 octopus
1 bay leaf
Paprika
Olive oil
Salt

Scrub the octopus well in cold water to clean it. Using a pestle, beat the sucker to free any sand. Scrub again until completely clean.

Once dried, the octopus should be placed in the freezer for two or three days to tenderise the meat. After this time, remove from freezer and defrost.

Cook the octopus in boiling water with a bay leaf until tender (check with a fork). The cooking time will depend on the size of it. Once tender, remove from the pan and leave to cool.

Chop the octopus into slices with scissors and season with salt and paprika, finally drizzle with some olive oil.

Boiled potatoes make an ideal accompaniment, and do serve it on a wooden board, if possible…

….and with lovely Alvariño or Ribeiro wine (I've just recently started to favour the latter myself…. laugh wink )
Posted by: Lonoma

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 09/26/04 03:17 PM

As my wife sometimes writes her recipe for her friends, I’m puting on here her receta de “Tocino de cielo” and “Leche merengada”. Sorry, in Spanish!!

TOCINO DE CIELO.

Ingredientes :

*250 g de azúcar
*1 y ½ vaso de agua .
*La corteza de un limón pequeño .
*2 cucharadas de agua
*8 yemas .
*1 huevo entero .

Se baña el fondo de una flanera con caramelo líquido (solo cubrirlo , no demasiado ) .

En un cazo se hace un almíbar , con un vaso de agua , los 250 g de azúcar y la corteza del limón . Cuando rompe el hervor se añade el otro medio vaso de agua y se tiene cociendo veinte minutos a fuego medio .

En una ensaladera se ponen las ocho yemas , el huevo entero y las 2 cucharadas de agua fría y se bate todo junto . Cuando el almíbar preparada esté casi fría se va añadiendo poco a poco a esta crema sin dejar de remover . Se vierte en la flanera y se pone, tapada con papel de aluminio , al baño maría encima de la lumbre unos 10 minutos (contando desde que el agua comience a hervir) , después se coloca otros 10 minutos al baño maría dentro del horno y sin el papel de aluminio . Se saca del horno y se deja enfriar dentro del agua hasta que esta se enfríe . Entonces se saca y se vuelca sobre una bandeja .

LECHE MERENGADA .(para aprovechar las claras del tocino de cielo )

· SE cuece un litro de leche con cuatro cucharadas de azúcar , canela en rama y dos trozos de corteza de limón . Cuando comience a hervir se retira del fuego y se espera a que esté templada .
· Se baten cuatro claras de huevo con una cucharada de azúcar hasta formar un merengue .
· Cuando la leche este templada se cuela , volcándola sobre una ensaladera y se le añade el merengue removiendo un poco .
· Se coloca en el congelador hasta que este muy fría .
· Al apartarla se echa en el fondo del vaso leche líquida y sobre esta se pone parte de merengue . Puede añadirse canela molida encima .

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 10/10/04 03:43 PM

Thanks Pim,

I have made pulpo a la gallega 3 times this week and am getting ready for a fourth. If I could only find a nice bottle of Alvariño to accompany it. I did, however, recently find Estrella de Galicia at a local store, so I've been able to wash-down the pulpo with an appropriate beverage. laugh

Salu2
Shawn
Posted by: Mongo

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 10/10/04 11:55 PM

I have had great results cooking 'pulpo' in my pressure cooker. A 1-1/2 pounder takes about 40 minutes. When I told my Galician friend who taught me to cook it, he did not re-coil in horror so I guess I took that as having his blessing.

Also, don't forget to 'scare' the octopus by dipping it three times into the boiling water at the start of the process. I am told that this is essential. Some people swear by putting the cork from a wine bottle in with the pulpo to tenderize it.
Posted by: Gumerman

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 01/19/06 12:26 PM

Hello, I´m newbie here and I would like to know if anyone knows the difference between "Cocido Madrileño" and "Cocido Gallego". I have eaten both, and in my opinion, the "Gallego" is several times better, but as a matter of fact I don´t know the difference in the way do you prepare them, since both seem to have the same ingredients.

Thank you everyone.
Posted by: Murdy

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 01/19/06 04:47 PM

One difference is the ingredients used. Here are some of them:

Cocido Madrileño includes lots chickpeas (garbanzos), cabbage, carrots, blood sausage

Cocido Gallego has White beans (judías), and just a handful, grelos (green vegetable typical of Galicia), generally no carrots ot blood sausages.

Both stews have different kinds of meats and chorizos, though there is probably more meat in the Cocido Gallego. Potatoes are abundant too.

The way you eat them is different too:

Cocido Madrileño:
Noodle soup made from the broth
Second course of beans, meats and vegetables
Everyone seems to have their own way of eating the seocnd course. Some chickpeas and meats by themselves, others mix everything together with vegetables. Lots of combinations.

Cocido Gallego:
First the cocido. Meats, veggies, the works. Once again you can choose how you want to mix.
Then the soup. You can have "Caldo limpio" which is just the broth, or regular "caldo" which has grelos and potatoes, etc.

I can't which I prefer. I love them both!

By the way, for all of you "cocido gallego" fans out there, I recommend going to the Feira do Cocido in Lalín (Pontevedra). It's a large town halfway between Orense and Santiago. They celebrate it every year on the Sunday before the weekend of Carnaval. This year I believe it's February 19th.

I could you a more exact recipe for the Cocido Gallego if you want.
Posted by: JohnT

Re: I LOVE Spanish Food!! - 01/21/06 04:26 PM

Just ret'd from Madrid. We stay on Calle de Barcelona just a few blocks from Sol. We had a kitchen, so we bought groceries, wine, beer, etc. at El Corte Inlges supermarket, on Sol. The food was excellent. We also ate out very often, our favorites was the Chorizo sausage, Jamon Iberica, Potates Bravas, & Garlic Soup. The wines were great to. Of all the major European capitals I've been to, Madrid's food was clearly the best.