Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar

Posted by: teachertraveler8

Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 03/09/12 07:30 AM

It's been a few weeks since I've had a Spanish wine pop up in my wine calendar, but here's a new one: Paul Cheneau Brut Blanc de Blanes (non vintage medium bodied dry spakling wine) Origin: Penedes, Spain. Price $15. Has anyone tried this before?
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 03/09/12 07:52 AM

unfortunately cant handle a sparkler ,my diet is strictly champagne ::) on those types.
And Paul Cheneau sounds French to me lol!

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 08/18/12 12:49 PM

August 15's wine: Jorge Ordonez & Co.
principal grape: muscat of Alexandria
Origin: Malaga
Price: $55 for a 375 ml half bottle.

Anyone every try this? It is pricey. I'm wondering if it is that expensive in Spain.(probably not)
Posted by: Crisco

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 08/18/12 02:46 PM

I can't justify spending $$$$ on wine from Spain when I know how cheap it is in Spain.I splurge on Marques de Caceres-under $10- and Marques de Riscal-a little over $10- in USA!

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 08/18/12 03:05 PM

Crisco,

Do you like Albarinos? Do you have Plum Market and/or Trader Joes? There are some pretty good selections there for Spanish wines. I know what you mean about not wanting to spend a lot. Better to spend the money to make the trip than for the bottle, I always say!!!

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 08/19/12 06:29 AM

The wine is a boutique very special market for a sweet grape variety so outside my tastes range. But Spanish wines are getting lots of cudos over the last few years,and the price goes up as in other countries ::)

and yes if anything save the money to drink it in Spain lol!!! I had last week here a paso señorans albarino from ria baixas Galicia. Had it on site with friends last month in San Ciprian, Lugo,Spain ::)
http://www.pazodesenorans.com/eng/vino1.htm

Salud
Posted by: Murdy

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 08/21/12 06:41 AM

The cava from Penedès comes from a good winery, so it's probably all right. I haven't tried it.

The Ordóñez wine is a sweet Malaga style wine. I think it goes for something like 30 euros in Spain. I've tried it and it's good but I question the price tag too. I know a lot of work goes behind these wines, but still...

The fancy Malaga wines tend to run in the neighborhood of 15-40 euros, though you can't go wrong with a Malaga Virgen for about 6 euros!

Most are made from the Pedro Ximénez or Moscatel grape varieties. The PX are especially thick, rich wines with a very raisiny flavor. I get tired of them pretty quickly but they are tasty in small doses!

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 08/23/12 11:54 AM

yes pedro ximénez is the grape after a noble soldier in the region, and we have the tradition of having them with an egg yolk inside, great in the mornings too ::)
the best are from Mueller and Larios from the montilla-moriles area ,as I said they are drank in special occasions not really every day wines. Ordoñez is one of the up and coming bodegas doing very well.
cava is not good, I rather drink Champagne ::)

I am a wine collector drinker lol!! I even have with friends a site that list all Spanish bodegas that mm let posted here once....

Posted by: Harriet

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/10/12 09:35 AM

Originally Posted By pedmar

cava is not good, I rather drink Champagne ::)

But if you had a Cava of choice? What would it be?

I'm looking for a good one for a cava nut... Any ideas?

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/10/12 02:35 PM

Gramona Imperial Gran Reserva Brut 2006
Raventós i Blanc Gran Reserva de la Finca Brut 2007

the above are not bad for about 15-16 euros the bottle
hope it helps
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/11/12 08:35 AM

I love cava and think that whilst champagne is excellent ( and i've tried bottles at €200 + ) .. champagne is overpriced . Unless you have a really professional palate you won't notice too much difference between a good cava and a moderate champagne . Much better value for money . Catalunya , for me produces the best .... Even cheapers cavas such as Freixnet are very acceptable and at about €6-8 ... great if your having a party .

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/11/12 01:51 PM

no way i have taste them all, wine diplome in France and Spain with Gourmet club. You have to be into to tell the diff. Most people cant, cava to champagne , all else equal is worlds apart.

nOW for a buzz Freixenet(correct spelling) might be good lol!!!

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/11/12 04:00 PM

Pedmar ... for the ordinary man on the street the difference in taste between cava and champagne is difficult/almost impossible to discern . The difference they can see is that a bottle of OK cava will be €10 and a bottle of OK champagne will be €30 . We live in an age of austerity . I think cava is excellent value for money and that there is a lot of snobbery surrounding champagne .
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/11/12 04:34 PM

I think I've ONLY had REAL French Champagne - FROM Champagne, France - once in my life. That was a treat. But since it was only once, I can't remember how it was to compare it to Spanish/Catalán Cava. I'm happy with Cava, but am not a fan of the lower-end Freixenet cavas. I always have a headache afterwards from it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/12/12 05:52 AM

yes Steve, there is a market for everyone at every level, but we aim higher.
You can't compare a chevy to a porche lol!! But both serve the purpose of moving you from A to B ::)

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/12/12 05:57 AM

MM you should come more to Champagne, all else equal, price etc, there is no contest in the amount of bubbles and taste nuances.
Freixenet is one of the worlds top selling brand for its price and covering a large proportion of the population that can't afford a Krug ::)

But after spending all my life dragging wines, bubblies and others from my first as a college men in my father nightclub in NJ, and then working in the ABC stores in Florida, all in the wine sections, I can do tell the difference. And I started way back with lambrusco ,mateus, and mogen davids lol!!!

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/12/12 01:16 PM

Lambrusco ... Aaargh Horrible ... Too sweet . I have a friend who works for the wine and champagne business in Napa - California . He's president of the company ( A Quebecois ) ... I went to visit him in Napa with his beautiful wife and 3 daughters . He prefers French champagne , of course , but understands about Spanish cava . I had a great time with him and had a drunken bus journey back from Napa to San Francisco to my hotel ! : )) Good times . Never heard of Mogen Davids ! Will look it up .

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/12/12 02:40 PM

Mad dog 20 20 thats how its call the mogen davids ol'southern pride and good stuff for a buzz....
yes those were the days but then one grows and grows and now we aim higher for the .....afraid to tell
lol!!!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/12/12 02:49 PM

Mad Dog 20-20, I KNOW what that is. hehehe.. It's a brand of cheap beer in the USA, the kind you'd buy in liter/42oz (I think) bottles.

I actually like Italian Lanbrusco! But yes, it is sweet. And it always gives me a headache afterwards. Must be for the bubbles. No sé.

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/13/12 08:14 AM

hehehe yes those were the days of mad dog 20-20, knotty head, easy jesus, and great ABC rum and vocka.

(ABC is a chain of liquor stores in Florida that I work once while in college )!

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/13/12 05:52 PM

I heard Robin Williams talking about Mad Dog 20-20 .. when he said after drinking it you would leave vapour trails in your wake !! We had a wine here in the UK called Thunderbird ( Red or Blue ) ... Nightmare stuff but cheap and popular with university students .. Many a party with friends in London with that stuff and a horrible hangover the next morning -- Was it worth it ? Hard to say ..
Posted by: Mongo

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/13/12 08:25 PM

Very funny thing happened when I read this post about Mad Dog. The google display ad was for alcohol rehab!

Re: Another Spanish wine from my wine calendar - 09/15/12 05:13 PM

that is mostly how its done with me Steve, at the university level, great parties especially those at gatorland, Florida Gators lol!!!
it was worth it, time to enjoy life and get a good night sleep and more ::)