cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI?

Posted by: colenot

cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 06/20/09 10:09 AM

I'm sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I didn't see any other forum that looked appropriate for this question.

Does anyone know where there is a nice cafe with WIFI (free is best, but pay is fine too) that you can kick back with your laptop and work out of?

I am not looking for an internet cafe,
but a cafe/coffee shop (like Starbucks type) that has WIFI.

I must have gone to a dozen Starbucks and they have all said that Starbucks no longer has WIFI.

I would appreciate any tips on this. I run some websites and want to work away from the house from time to time.

Thanks!
Posted by: steve robinson

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 06/21/09 02:06 AM

Starbucks is definitely feeling the "crisis" and has shut down a few outlets here in Madrid ( Good riddance in my opinion ! ) .. When I was studying in Chueca there was a Mexican restaurant / bar on C/Augusto Figueroa .. Iīll try and remember the name for you . It offered free wi-fi and I used it regularly .
Bear in mind that the district ( barrio ) of Chueca is the first region in Europe to go completely WiFi .. Iīve not tested that out as Iīm connected here at home , but even a few years ago I could get a reasonable connection to the internet whilst sitting in Plaza de Chueca . Ok ... The restaurant is called Sabor a Mi .. Itīs quite smart inside but thereīs only one power point and itīs often taken , so make sure your battery is powered up .
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 06/21/09 03:38 AM

Most of the VIPs chain restaurants have free Wi-Fi too. I've been known to stand outside their windows with my PDA to connect briefly. Also, I understand that in addition to the Plaza de Chueca, the Plaza de Santo Domingo also has free, public Wi-Fi. But, of course, it can be hot and impossible to see your screen outside.

When you find something reliable or something you like, please do share it with us here in this/your thread. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 06/21/09 01:02 PM

Thanks for the reply, amigos! The only problem for me right now is that my Macbook battery has a life of about 10 minutes angry , so I definitely need to stay plugged in.

I appreciate the tips on VIPs and Sabor a Mi! I shall try them both and will let you know if I find anything else.

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 08/31/09 04:24 PM

Update on this. I found 2 spots.

I've been to a fancy ice cream/coffe shop chain called Giangrossi a couple of times (think starbucks but bigger and fancier decor). There are a few of them (check google maps), but I've only hung out at the one just west of the San Bernardo metro. The wifi is free, but you'll feel out of place if you don't buy a drink or something. For wifi, ask for tickets with passwords every 45 minutes from the cashier. They're free.

The second one is Moore's Irish Pub right across the street from the Tribunal metro.

Again, buy a beer or coffee at the very least and you can use the wifi all you want.

Both places are great and they are great for working online with good ambiance.

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 09/01/09 01:17 AM

Last week I went back to the Vips on Plaza de los Cubos/Plaza de Espaņa and couldn't connect to their Wifi signal when standing outside the windows. It said I was connected but couldn't surf.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Rodolfo

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 09/01/09 02:13 AM

Great thread here!

Hope we can keep this alive. These days it seems to be very important.
Posted by: Daniel-Madrid

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 09/01/09 02:25 AM

MM, that'll likely be a MAC filter causing that. they've caught on to you!

If you are looking for free/cheap WIFI, you should look at the FON initiative: http://www.fon.com/en/ <- most of the website is about sharing a connection, but you can also connect to existing ones. The "Find WIFI" section is a good place to start.

I also found an interactive map of free WIFI areas: http://inthesity.wordpress.com/wi-fi-gratis/
(sorry MM, looks like you might have a competitor there...)
Posted by: Silver Traveler

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 09/02/09 06:55 PM

I used the wifi at VIPs at Plaza Espana in March. Was able to get a table each night and put my small lap top on it and make good connection.
Posted by: Donna Cuervo

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 09/04/09 02:23 AM

I guess you have to eat VIPS food sick if you want to use their internet.

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 09/04/09 06:42 AM

erm, not sure I really agree. I quite like VIPs for lunch. they have a menu del dia at a good price and the often is often better than you'll get in a lot of bars.
Sure, sometimes you eat bad, but I think that is down to the locale itself, as they are simply franchises. If you eat bad in one it is normally because the food is never too great there. but go to a different VIPs and you can eat really well.

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 09/04/09 12:02 PM

I'd wondered why I couldn't connect outside their windows.

Yeah, I agree. I quite like VIPs food. It reminds me a lot of an American Denny's (with southwest dishes too!). Their burgers and pancakes are good. And their dozens of salads, huge and fattening, are delicious. Oh, and I've also bought pancake syrup and lots of American DVDs in their shop.
Posted by: neilstrauss23

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 09/04/09 02:49 PM

Hi there, Nice to be back here, Chueca is a wifi area, so you can go for DIURNO cafe in C/ Libertad and get a wifi while sipping your coffee, or go to Plaza de Sto Domingo park where wi fi free!!

Cheers!!

Neil

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 09/05/09 06:50 AM

Denny's is good, but for me the best place to eat that type of food is Red Robin :-) yum yum. Everytime I go to the US I make sure I go.

the starbucks in Juan Bravo/Conde de Peņalver also has free wifi.

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 09/05/09 12:36 PM

Oh, and by the way, J and J's Bookstore on Calle Bernardo offers free WiFi. You can probably plunk down in one of their sofas and just grab a magazine or free newspaper without buying anything.

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: Donna Cuervo

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 09/07/09 02:07 AM

I guess when you only visit for a short time, you want to eat more exciting than VIPS. When you're in Spain all the time, you need to eat like a real person (burgers and pancakes).

I remember one weekend during Las Fallas in Valencia when I didn't realize how crowded all the restaurants would be, and the only place I could get into was VIPS...and even that had a line outside.

While the dinner wasn't memorable, at least I got to peek into a lot of magazines without buying them and shop for jobbed out books at a discount.

Next time I'll bring my netbook.

Re: cafe's/coffee shops in Madrid with WIFI? - 09/07/09 06:29 AM

"When you're in Spain all the time, you need to eat like a real person (burgers and pancakes)"

:-o I hope not! Not sure what a normal diet is for an American, but eating this all day has to be terrible for you. I only eat that stuff if I go to TGI Fridays or Fostes Hollywoods! But give me lentejas and costillitas anyday.