Segovia vs Toledo

Posted by: France

Segovia vs Toledo - 03/06/06 11:13 AM

Hello, for someone who has seen Madrid already and wants to venture out to a day trip outside of the city, which area should I aboslutely visit = Segovia or Toledo?? I can only go to one, so I have to choose..but I need help making my decision....Thank you so much in advance!
Posted by: OldLady

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 03/06/06 06:50 PM

I have no RECENT news. My father was in the military and we lived in Madrid from 1957 through 1959. I always loved going to Segovia to see the castle and aqueduct (and on the way there we also saw the castle called Manzanares). I would pick Segovia BUT.. Toledo is really nice also. And remember to see the sword factory. Almost every (maybe it really IS every) good sword is made in Toledo, even the ones for the various US military academies (or at least they used to be). Both towns are great but I would definitely pick Segovia if I could only go to one.
Posted by: CJA

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 03/06/06 10:39 PM

Toledo is beautiful, but definitely go to Segovia if you have to choose between the two...just my opinion though.
Have you been to Granada?
Posted by: aidance

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 03/06/06 10:57 PM

I vote for Toledo--a great city to wander around in, lost. But either way, you'll love your decision. And the next time you go to Spain you'll see the one you missed.
Posted by: Andrés

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 03/07/06 04:37 AM

No branier, TOLEDO!
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 03/07/06 06:17 AM

When are you going to be there??

As I recall, one of the Excursion bus (TrapSATur?) tours did Toledo & Segovia in a single full-day tour. They don't run every day of the week, especially when it's off season for Tourists. The concierge at your hotel should be able to set up one of those for ypu with pickup at your hotel or on c/San Bernado just off the GranVia. rolleyes

If you can't do that, my recommendation would be for Toledo. Don't miss the beautiful Catedral. cool
Posted by: CascadaDuSel

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 03/07/06 08:56 AM

I would pick Toledo too but I didnt want to be the only one to say it :-) Actually I would pick both but if I had to say one - Toledo by far
Posted by: Kipper

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 03/07/06 10:58 PM

Hard choice, but I choose Segovia!!!!

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 03/08/06 07:57 AM

MY GOD! These choices are so mixed...I am even more confused than before!! haha..I was leading towards Toledo, to be honest....seems more of my style of small, rustic town and my bf would love the sword museum.....but I havn't ruled out Segovia...I guess I have to do more research. Thank you!!!
Posted by: eltorero

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 03/26/06 09:08 PM

I would choose Segovia
Posted by: Real_Valladolid

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 03/29/06 10:30 AM

I've been to both cities and they are both very beautiful. If I had to pick one I'd say Toledo. It was less busy than Segovia and it really feels like a medieval town. I ended up getting lost in Toledo wandering up these small cobble stone roads. It was amazing.

Segovia is also very nice. The castle is a must to see and the aqueduct. Good place to have authectic "Lechon"!

But my pick is still Toledo. I bought an amazing sword and it had it shipped. My only other suggestion would be Salamanca. Many people overlook it, however it is absolutely gorgeous. The central plaza is almost as beautiful as Plaza Mayor in Madrid and the main cathedral is breathtaking. It is also a university city, so it does have alot of students.
Posted by: La Profa

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 04/09/06 02:07 PM

I've been to both, but I'm a much bigger fan of castles than swords, so my choice is SEGOVIA!!! hearts
Posted by: Bill from NYC

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 04/20/06 11:25 AM

I was debating to write this and tell you all how I exactly feel. I lost, so here is my honest opinion!

I been to both and my vote goes to Segovia. Bottom line for me Segovia is more interesting to photograph than Toledo.

Now reasons why I had to debate writing this and if you do not like reading anything bad about Toledo you better not continue! cloud9

But to be far about, when I return to Spain if possible I will give Toledo another chance

Hopefully when I do visit I will not get killed by some sword store owner, wheeling a sword at me that I did not buy, who ate to many McDonalds hamburgers , driving a fast moving car trying to hit me and who I told to F off! wink

For you Toledo lovers, just remember I think anyone should visit Toledo and Segovia and make their own decision. I made mine!

Bill
Posted by: desert dweller

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 04/20/06 10:26 PM

My personal choice is Segovia. The aquaduct amazes me everytime I see it. Since Franco died they have revised the history of the Alcazar in Toledo.

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 04/22/06 08:19 AM

You're help is greatly appreciated - Really! I bought a Guide book and will look into it a bit more...I know I will be impressed by both cities so I know (or I hope) I won't be deceived by whicheverone I choose! Thanks people for your opinions!
Posted by: filbert

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 04/26/06 11:32 AM

For me, it's Segovia. If only because it takes more effort to get there, and you're more likely to visit Toledo on another quick trip to Madrid.
Posted by: mmh166

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 05/03/06 09:04 PM

Why limit yourself to those cities? Salamanca is better than either of them in every way.
Posted by: CathyM

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 05/04/06 04:45 PM

Both cities are beautiful but I'd choose Toledo. However, I did not visit Toledo as a daytrip. I spent 3 days/2 nights visiting Toledo so we didn't have all of tour groups to fight the entire time we were there. I'd definately recommend visiting Toledo but spending at least one night there.
Posted by: mmh166

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 06/04/06 06:45 PM

If you had to pick just one: Segovia.

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 07/25/06 01:31 PM

France

Did you go?

Bill

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 07/25/06 02:42 PM

Hello Bill,
I did go..went to Toledo..it was easier and I had a bit more interest in going....CUTE little town....totally worthe seeing...I didn't spend as much time as I would have liked there....I am a El Greco freak so I would have loved to see his famous painting of the Burial of Count Orgaz, but didn't get to see it....saw many interesting things though....swords galore and the cathedral! ah, the cathedral is AMAZING! Don't regret going one bit......

And thanks for asking!

Re: Segovia vs Toledo - 07/26/06 10:09 AM

That is really awful not to see the painting Burial of Count Orgaz. I did but I could not take any photos which I would have like too. On the other hand it is rare to see masterpieces where the artist painted them. Usually great works of art wind up in a museum.

I find it strange about this debate on Toledo vs. Segovia no one mention marzipan for Toledo? It was my lunch when I was there. thumbsup

Bill