Año Jubilar in Santiago

Posted by: sel

Año Jubilar in Santiago - 11/28/03 08:12 PM

Hey Eddie, do they really swing the Botafumeiro every Saturday at the 11:00 mass?

What other special things happen during this year? Our summer trip is beginning to take shape and I would love to know more.

Will it be terribly crowded because of the Año Jubilar? we will be spending two weeks in Mñalaga and then two weeks in Galicia. I addition to Santiago, we hope to see some more remote and quieter places.
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Año Jubilar in Santiago - 11/29/03 05:38 AM

sel writes
Quote:
Hey Eddie, do they really swing the Botafumeiro every Saturday at the 11:00 mass?
I can only report from my personal experience. The last Año Júbilar Xacobeo was in 1999. I attended a Pilgrims' Mass in Feb.'99 and again in Jul.'99 (24 Jul) and saw the Botafumeiro swing both times. On the latter date the pickpockets were really out in force. I saw an Italian man reporting a theft that happened to him inside the Basilica to a policeman; and someone tried to 'boost' my wallet when I stopped to see a Tuna Universitaria performance at the Plaza de Platerias. 'Shills' in the crowd encourage people to raise their hands up high and clap, leaving one pretty defenseless for a pickpocket. About the time I figured that out, I caught a guy going after a 'cargo' pocket in my 'cargo' shorts. He was pretending to look after a toddler he had with him; but my velcro fasteners are noisy coming open and I recognized the sound.
Quote:
What other special things happen during this year? Our summer trip is beginning to take shape and I would love to know more.
If it's like '99 you can expect concerts & some Bailes Regionales throughout Galicia the month or so leading up to Santiago (25 Jul). I don't know if http://www.Galinor.es will have schedules. They may be able to point you in the right direction.
In Santander (Cantabria), there's a fiesta every year for about a week in July beginning about 10-days before Santiago. The calle de Burgos really rocks!
Quote:
Will it be terribly crowded because of the Año Jubilar?
Yes; mostly around 25 July! Many people from beach resorts in Asturias and Cantabria will drive to Santiago for a couple of days around then. Then you've got your normal summer crowds in Galicia. Add a large number of Pilgrims for this first Jubilee Year of the new Millennium.
P.S.
Maybe I'll see you there. A friend from Lugo is trying to convince me to accompany him on a trip there.
Posted by: sel

Re: Año Jubilar in Santiago - 11/29/03 07:03 PM

Thanks, Eddie!

It seems that our timing is both good and bad. It will be fun to see what kind of entertainment we will find. wink We will be watching for the pickpockets!!!

I have posted our tentative plans in a different post . They will probably be revised several times between now and our departure, but at least we have started planning.

Have you stayed in Lugo before? I have heard that is is gorgeous and I am anxious to see the city.