Semana Santa in Sevilla

Posted by: SFY

Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/10/03 04:24 PM

I'm going to be in Sevilla right before Semana Santa for language school. Is it worth staying one extra day (on 13 April) for the first day of Semana Santa or would it be better to get out of Sevilla before things get crazed? cool
Posted by: FredMaine

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/10/03 09:27 PM

I think you should stay to see the beginning of Semana Santa. It really is a wonderful experience. I will be in Sevilla that day (Sunday, April 13) then I'm off to Madrid on Monday.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/10/03 10:16 PM

Man-oh-Man. If you have an opportunity see more of Semana Santa in Sevilla DO IT. My ladyfriend (from Madrid) and I spent the entire week in Sevilla (actually sleeping in nearby town Alcalá de Guadaira and bussed in) and have the most wonderful time. Everyone was so smartly dressed, even the children. Do it if you can!!! You'll be glad you did!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: kelar419

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/14/03 07:20 AM

Oh this is getting me super excigted!! I am gonig to be in Semana Santa at the end of the week (Thurs morning-Sun morning). I cant wait!! Ever since I started studying spanish back in Jr High (Im now a sophmore in college), I have wanted to gto to Sevilla for Semana Santa!! Anybody have any advice on making the most of it? How is the best way to find out about whats going on, when and where this week?? Only about a month away!!! laugh
Kelly

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/14/03 08:28 AM

There is a free magazine El Giraldillo available at most kiosks. This will tell you what is happening in Sevilla. Also if you want to meet other students you should go to Plaza Alfalfa and Plaza del Salvador. Both places are a big party zone. You will fall in love with Sevilla. --Fred
Posted by: fmiketheman

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/14/03 11:13 AM

hey everybody

excuse me
but what has happened to leonese traditions?!
isnt the el giraldillo a dance in the province of leon?why is it taken as a sevilla hotel name.
why is leonese culture taken as **** in spain?
they dont even have there own region which prior to 1983 included zamora and salamanca.now its only a little region near asturias and galicia.
when i watch spanish t.v. the only thing i see about leon is el bierzo like ponferrada and villafranca.what about the mysterious maragateria or sahagun or even leon.gees is the spanish goverment retarted or something. mad eek cool

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/14/03 10:58 PM

HUH???

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/15/03 09:06 AM

hey everybody

oops
th leonese dance is the JIRALDILLA NOT the JIRALDILLO.so the hotel wasnt necessarily dissing leonese culture by copying the name of the dance for there own name.
oh well
oh man oh man oh man manman
i guess i got lighten up on these posts to reasonable limit,no?
oh and please do not mistaken me for a lonese nationalist.
im not leonese.i just happen to defend spanish regions when i THINK they have had some problems.
i also meantioned the goverment in this,only because i noticed that certain regions with problems always and i do mean always blaim it on the goverment

hasta luego
see ya dude
Posted by: Sarita

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/15/03 12:17 PM

fmiketheman, you definitely need to lighten up! wink

and where did you get the idea that el giraldillo was the name of a HOTEL in sevilla? i believe the poster was referring to a tourism MAGAZINE?

el giraldillo has special meaning for the sevillanos because it is the name for the small statue you see atop LA GIRALDA (the bell tower) at the Cathedral.

just passing on some información!

sarita laugh

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/15/03 08:03 PM

laugh
Posted by: liatris

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/20/03 01:52 PM

Back to the Semana Santa info.....be prepared for absolutely PACKED streets. Keep documents and cash in safe places (like your hotel room) and don't take any more euros than you need right away. The processions go on all day and all night. The tourist office should have info about times and parade routes. Don't expect to take a taxi anywhere (like from train station...) cavalcaldes have priority. Be prepared for odd opening and closing times for businesses....and hiked up prices at hotels and restaurants. In spite of the sardinne-packed partying streets, I thought the municipalities did a great job of tidying up after everything the next day(s). Enjoy!!!!
Posted by: CathyM

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/20/03 04:19 PM

liatris:
I arrive in Sevilla by train on Tuesday evening and leave for Madrid on Saturday around noon. I'm staying in the Santa Cruz barrio. Will I have a problem getting a taxi from the train station to my hotel at these times?

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/20/03 10:40 PM

I'm curious about getting to the train station too. I'm supposed to leave by train on Palm Sunday (13 April) and wonder if I'll be able to get from near Plaza Nueva to Santa Justa in the afternoon. And if so, how much time should I allow?
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/21/03 05:40 AM

CathyM writes:
Quote:
I arrive in Sevilla by train on Tuesday evening and leave for Madrid on Saturday around noon. I'm staying in the Santa Cruz barrio. Will I have a problem getting a taxi from the train station to my hotel at these times?
No problem! Semana Santa doesn't really get under way until Thursday and by Saturday AM (a day for Easter shopping) most Semana Santa activities will be over with. Saturday will also be a big travel day, so make sure you have a reservation well in advance.
Posted by: liatris

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/21/03 02:36 PM

We arrived on Palm Sunday and had a terrible time finding taxis. Finally twisted arms and acted pathetic because my elderly father was really sick and couldn't manage the crowded streets. The rest of our group dragged suitcases through throngs of Palm Sunday celebrants to the hotel. If you are LEAVING on Palm Sunday, check with your hotel people, who will probably be very glad to help you....but you might be prepared for plan B to get to the train station. and allow ample time. Although other towns don't seem to get frantic with Semana Santa activities until about Thursday, as already mentioned, we found that Sevilla was pretty busy for the whole week....it just got crazier as the week wore on.
Suerte!!!!
Liatris

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/21/03 06:47 PM

Any ideas on a Plan B if taxis fall through? I guess my only other two options are buses (and who knows is they're running) and schlepping from Plaza Nueva to Santa Justa - not my idea of fun even without Santa Semana crowds. Oh well, I've got two weeks in Sevilla to worry about it. wink
Posted by: kelar419

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/22/03 09:53 AM

I am arriving by Bus from Granada on Thursday, and going back to Granada (also by bus) on Sunday...where exactly is the bus station, can we walk? Is it going to be easier the earlier can get there on Thursday? Better midday?
Posted by: Melinda328

Re: Semana Santa in Sevilla - 03/22/03 01:47 PM

I think the bus from Granada arrives in the station near the University. Where do you need to get to? If you're just trying to see the major processions, get a schedule to see when/where they'll be. The majority of the major ones (silencio, la macarena) go through barrio santa cruz in front of El Corte Ingles, which is a little bit of a walk, but Candelaria goes through Plaza Jerez, which is just a short walk from the bus station. Of course all of them end up at the Cathedral, which is very close, but I don't reccomend trying to go through those crowds. El Pais comes with a supplement of the routes for the processions the entire week and gives a nice history of each as well. When we went last year, we sat out until 7 AM to watch La Macarena, El Silencio and Triana and had a great time. Most people my age enjoy the Feria more because it's nonstop partying, but I preferred the Semana Santa. I'm hoping to be able to go again next year!

Melinda