Toledo and Segovia

Posted by: mgarcia

Toledo and Segovia - 11/26/02 01:36 PM

I plan on going to Madrid in Feb...and have heard that Toledo and Segovia are must places to visit. What is the best way to get to these destinations from Madrid and if I spend the night in either location, does anyone have a suggestion for a moderately priced hotel?
Posted by: ndomingo

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 11/27/02 06:15 PM

Went to Toledo in early November as a day trip by bus (1 hour). It only costs about 5 euros round trip. The bus was an extra long version with the accordion fold in the middle. I believe it was a Volvo and all the buses are quite new with very comfortable seats. We left at 9 am and arrived at about 10 am. Took a taxi (3 Eur) from the bus station to the top of the old section of Toledo and basically we walked the town in a few hours. You can also take a bus outside the bus station to go to the "old" Toledo. It's either a number 5 or 6 (check with the hotel outside the bus station in Toledo).

You can do Segovia too as a day trip, however, I think that there are other members who have recommended a stayover in Toledo as it is a larger town. Remember that many shops shut down for a few hours in the afternoon anywhere between 1:30 and 5 pm.
Posted by: Espe3

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 11/27/02 06:20 PM

Bus it! To both places! smile
Posted by: Booklady

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 11/27/02 09:10 PM

Hello mgarcia,
I highly recommend visiting the city of Segovia, it is very near Madrid and an easy train or bus ride. I went by train and enjoyed passing all the
villages along the way. A two hour train ride, 9 trains per day!

Segovia's allure is its incredible monuments. first there's the Roman Aqueduct, worth visiting Segovia just to see this marvel built by the Romans in 50 BC, and was still in use in the 20th century. Then, next to this marvel is one of the most famous restaurant in Spain, Candidos! There you can order a cochinillo (roast suckling pig) and have the waiter cut it with a plate!

Then you meander up the Calle Isabel to the Plaza Mayor, charming, and small, and right in front, one of the most impressive 16th century cathedral one can ever see, built in 1525 by Carlos V, it's nickname is the"lady of the Cathedrals!" Then climb up the hill, a pretty tough climb if you're not used to it, to the pearl of Segovia, the Alcazar. It is said that Walt Disney used this castle as a model for the castle in Disney World. And if all of this does not envail you to go, then there's the mysterious Iglesia de la vera Cruz built by the infamous Knights Templar !

Saludos,
Posted by: mgarcia

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 11/29/02 08:29 AM

Thanks booklady.....can anyone recommend a inexpenise hotel in toledo?
Posted by: sel

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 11/29/02 05:10 PM

We stayed here for four nights last June and it was wonderful. Julio Luis speaks good English and was very helpful. The view from the hostal is wonderful and it is well located. We loved Toledo and if I return there in February, I will stay once again at this place. It has a web site: http://www.hostaldescalzos.com/ Its e-mail address is:descalzo@hostaldescalzos.com

The train is very easy and runs often. We took a cab then to the hostal. One piece of advise...they sell a map of Toledo in the rail station that you cannot by in town. It is much better than the one from the tourist office and costs about €2.
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 11/30/02 05:51 AM

You might want to check with this one: It's next to the BullRing on the road coming in from Madrid
HOTELES MARIA CRISTINA (TOLEDO)
Marqués de Mendigorría, 1 Telephone (925) 21 32 02 Fax: (925) 21 26 50
http://www.socranet.com/hotelesmayoral/ingles/mariacristina.htm
I haven't stayed there but we stopped there for a drink. It's a 3-star (Tourist - Class) hotel so it should be inexpensive.
Posted by: davidx

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 12/01/02 05:35 AM

Both places are good and the idea of spending a night in either makes sense to me. I spent 2 in Segovia and 3 in Toledo and did not find myself twiddling my thumbs.
If you e-mail me on davidcross@frogsmore.fsnet.co.uk I will send you a folder of notes. Mention 'Spanish Cities'
Posted by: aidance

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 12/01/02 12:07 PM

For Toledo, try the hotel La Almazara. It's an old country farmhouse inn, has awesome views of the city. It's also very inexpensive. Here's the url:
http://www.ribernet.es/Hotel_almazara/hotel_almazara_en.htm
Posted by: del sol

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 12/08/02 04:59 PM

Are there bike rentals available in Toledo or Segovia? Just wondering if that's an option and whether it's a good way to see the towns.
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 12/18/02 10:18 AM

I don't recommend a bike in either city. Part of the charm of Toledo is the labyrinthine maze of streets in the old quarter. Getting lost is half the fun. A bicycle would only get in the way.

Segovia is much the same in parts of the old quarter, although after Toledo, you may feel like the streets are so wide you don't know what to do with yourself.

While in Toledo don't miss the Mezquita del Cristo de la Luz (or capilla, or iglesia...after seeing the architecture, you'll see that it's a mix of three different religions/styles). Tip the gardener for a private tour.

I echo Booklady regarding the Iglesia de la Veracruz. The twelve-sided chapel is unique, and the frescoes are still visible in the interior, although the lye from the centuries has eaten some of them away.

In the front yard of the chapel, you can still see small white, almost porcelain-looking fragments. Those are bone fragments from the cemetery upon which you stand. During the plague years (there was a second plague in the 1500s), so many deaths made it impossible to bury folks inside the church, so they chose the next best place: as close to the church as possible. Ask the curator onsite to recount the entire history. Definitely worth the trip and the extra time investment.
Posted by: taravb

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 12/18/02 10:56 AM

del sol, I would skip the bikes too...in Segovia, you will want to climb the stairs next to the aqueduct at some point, and in Toledo, you'll go nuts trying to navigate small, cobbled streets that are barely big enough for a single car to pass through. There have been many times I have flattened myself against a wall and hoped I wouldn't get hit by drivers passing by! I think a bike is more trouble than it's worth, in both places. I might recommend one in a city like Salamanca, if you were going there--but really, walking is the best way to see both Segovia and Toledo (and remember, both are perched on hills!). They are small enough that you will be able to get anywhere in less than 15 minutes, anyway (though you should budget more time in Toledo because you'll be lost half the time)!
Posted by: del sol

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 12/18/02 01:46 PM

Thanks for the tips. I am so excited about visiting both of these places!
Posted by: Ed S

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 01/03/03 06:44 PM

I would consider renting a car and driving from Madrid. We did this last February, going to El Escorial/Segovia on one day, parking in the underground garage at Plaza Santa Anna then driving to Toledo the next. Granted driving the streets of Madrid can be an adventure, but the highways to both cities are fine. We enjoyed climbing the mountain pass between El Escorial and Segovia, and stopping at the ski resort that was there. A very beautiful drive. Parking was not that difficult in either city either. We parked along the streets for free at both. Plus you can make your own schedule and visit as many side places as available such as the Valley of the Fallen, also between Segovia and El Escorial.
Posted by: karenwishart

Re: Toledo and Segovia - 01/04/03 09:05 AM

We, too liked the advantage and sponteneity of driving but be sure to get good directions to your hotels for either city and go straight there and park the car for the duration of your stay. It's no fun driving around compared to walking, though some of pictuesque hostels that have the "El Grecoesque" views of Toledo aren't an quick walk to town but you can park as soon as you get inside the walls and walk.