Beach conditions in early December?

Posted by: medicine man

Beach conditions in early December? - 02/15/02 01:07 AM

I'm wondering if there's anywhere on the mainland that would make for enjoyable beach activities (eg. swimming in the Mediterranean) in early December? Algeciras or Marbella perhaps? I'd really love to spend a few days in the Canary Islands but that may not be in the budget. In any event, this December will be my first time in Spain - actually first time outside of North America.
Posted by: hombre_gizon

Re: Beach conditions in early December? - 02/15/02 02:24 AM

I was in Marbella and Torremolinos in AUGUST 4 years ago and the sea water wasn't hot, in fact, I found it cold. The more you approach to Cádiz the more cold the sea is.

I suppose that in December the seacost town with the hotter is Benidorm.

Bye!
Posted by: Bricamb

Re: Beach conditions in early December? - 02/15/02 03:21 AM

Hi Medicine Man. You may be able to sit on the beach in December but I do think that the water will be too cold to swim in....unless you're a particularly hardy sort!! The Canary Islands are mostly warm in December but I'm not sure about the sea temperatures there. I hope you enjoy you're first trip to Spain/Europe.
Posted by: Eddie

Re: Beach conditions in early December? - 02/15/02 05:57 AM

Medicine Man writes:
Quote:
I'm wondering if there's anywhere on the mainland that would make for enjoyable beach activities (eg. swimming in the Mediterranean) in early December? ...
Short answer: No! Ask yourself why the beach resorts are so empty that time of year. Take a latitude check: It may not be officially winter; but early December is close enough. You'll find some people strolling along the Marbella beaches: tourists who were sold a 'bill of goods' by their Travel Agent. You may even find some surfers wearing wet suits. I wouldn't plan on getting my Speedo wet that time of year. eek
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Beach conditions in early December? - 02/15/02 08:24 AM

I just checked the weather for Málaga (Costa del Sol - southern coast) which usually has the warmest weather on mainland Spain (correct??) and according to the monthly weather averages for Málaga on USAToday.com , high temperatures are in the low 60ºs F in December week. Sounds too cool for me for swimming, let alone for sunbathing. Their highest temperature on record for December is 73ºF.

Even Tenerife, Canary Islands high temperature averages are in the low 70ºs F in December.

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: mick nick

Re: Beach conditions in early December? - 02/15/02 02:01 PM

You big bunch of fai****! (MM edit) Most of us over here,particulary in the North,were "encouraged" to bathe in the sea by our parents on summer holidays when we were kids.I can confidently state the sea temp in Marbella in Dec is considerably better than the Yorkshire/Lancashire Riviera ever was in August.In those days though,the only things floating in the North or Irish sea were icebergs!

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]
Posted by: medicine man

Re: Beach conditions in early December? - 02/16/02 12:41 AM

OK, that's what I feared would be the case. Thanks for the feedback.

I have on occassion swam in some very cool waters but I can't say it was a very enjoyable experience. (OTOH, I have seen German tourists swim in some of the coldest deepest lakes we have in Western Canada and they seemed to enjoy it ;-)

Now it would be disappointing if the sea temperatures around the Canary Islands were also too cool for swimming this time of year. Any one here been there in December? BTW, what does the airfare typically cost for a Madrid to Tenerife return trip? Thanks.
Posted by: josemacall

Re: Beach conditions in early December? - 02/16/02 11:34 AM

Last time I was in Canary Islands the price of the flight was about 150-200 Euros. It was in September 2000.
Posted by: Carole Chiaro

Re: Beach conditions in early December? - 02/22/02 02:44 PM

I have NEVER found the Mediterranean to be warm--May, June, early July, September, October, November. Try Costa Rica for a beach vacation and natural beauty! Unfortunately, there's not much to see as far as architecture, museums, etc.
Posted by: fmiketheman

Re: Beach conditions in early December? - 02/22/02 07:27 PM

hi everybody!!

i think the best beach conditions in spain especially in winter are found in the canary islands. but you cant do that.so id say the costa de sol.not in summer of course,but in winter.summer is crowded there and too hot there,coast and inland.winter is almost perfect weather time. but surprisingly uncrowded.you mentioned marbella.thats a good idea.
Posted by: SuePycroft

Re: Beach conditions in early December? - 02/22/02 08:25 PM

I have been to several areas in winter and it is certainly not swimming weather. Even when the temperature is around 80 the water is cold. Even the Canaries in winter is the same, warm air but cold water.