advise on itinerary

Posted by: CathyM

advise on itinerary - 08/22/01 09:33 PM

I'm planning my first trip to Spain and leave on September 27 through October 14. This is my fourth european adventure but my first time to Spain. I'm traveling with a friend who's fluent in (mexican) spanish. We're both in our mid-30's and we enjoy getting a feel for the local cultures and a little night life - the all night party years have been left behind in my 20's however! I love history and just wandering around soaking up atmosphere. I live at the beach so it is not very important to visit a beach resort to relax. However, I do want time in the cities I've chosen to relax and not rush.

That's my intro. I would love to get feedback on my current itinerary!

Toledo - 2 nights; arrive at airport and take bus or train to Toledo

Segovia - 2 nights; take train from Toledo to Madrid then Madrid to Segovia; day trip to LaGranja palace

Salamanca - 2 nights; bus from Segovia to Avila - visit for a few hours; train or bus from Avila to Salamanca

Sevilla - 3 nights; train from Salamanca to Madrid; AVE to Seville; day trip to Cordoba

Arcos de la Frontera - 2 nights; rent car in Sevilla; day trips to Jerez de la Frontera and route of Pueblo Blancos (Zahara/Grazamela)

Ronda - 1 night; stop at Pilata caves

Granada - 2 nights; drop off rental car when we arrive

Madrid - 2 nights; fly from Granada to Madrid

Thanks in advance for all of your help smile

Oops- forgot to mention that I've already decided that next year I'm going to spend another 2 weeks in Spain. That trip will focus on Northern Spain from Barcelona to Santiago!

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: CathyM ]
Posted by: Majesty318

Re: advise on itinerary - 08/27/01 08:03 PM

Take the bus instead of the train from Salamanca to Madrid. It is an Auto-Res bus and runs every hour up till like 9:30 pm. It costs about 2.000 for a one-way trip, and I would recommend getting the tickets in advance. Make sure you take the Express bus, it goes direct and is the nicest bus I have ever been on in my life: huge leather reclining seats with lots of leg room! The train runs less frequently and might be more expensive, but I am not positive.

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Re: advise on itinerary - 08/28/01 09:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the bus. I would have to transfer train stations in Madrid even if I took the train so with buses running more frequently and with the luxury you described it seems the sure way to go.

I'll look up the schedule on the Auto-Res site.

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Re: advise on itinerary - 08/30/01 10:57 PM

Majesty318:
Do you know how we could get between the auto-res station and Atocha? I don't know where the auto-res station is in Madrid and how far it would be from Atocha.

Thanks for all of your help. laugh
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: advise on itinerary - 08/31/01 03:07 AM

Auto Res's station is not very far. It is close to Conde de Casal's circle.

Type Conde de Casal for a map of the area, then zoom in and out.

Mapa

Ignacio

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]