Day trips from Madrid

Posted by: jeffperez62

Day trips from Madrid - 05/08/01 05:07 PM

Other than Toledo, what are other day trip options when visiting Madrid??
Posted by: Nativo

Re: Day trips from Madrid - 05/08/01 05:57 PM

typical options are Segovia and Avila.

Both cities are worth seeing and make sure you taste the local specialities, roasted lamb, roasted pork.....

The are also the Royal from the two dinasties: El Escorial (Austrias) and Aranjuez and La Granja (Borbones). You could do La granja within a Segovia visit.

All places are quite reasonable for 1 day trips (1hour by car) and most of them are reachable by train and bus also.
Posted by: Nativo

Re: Day trips from Madrid - 05/08/01 05:59 PM

It is clearly too late for me, I meant the Royal Sites
Posted by: Mari

Re: Day trips from Madrid - 05/08/01 06:55 PM

Hey Jeff,
I also have to make plans for two days in Madrid. For sure a 1 day trip to Toledo and I am undecided about what to do with the other day. I am wondering if at the hotel one can make all these arrangements for day tours. Got any ideas? anyone? I am leaving on 5/18 for 17 days cool

[ 05-08-2001: Message edited by: Mari ]
Posted by: la maestra

Re: Day trips from Madrid - 05/08/01 08:54 PM

Given half a chance, I will always suggest Segovia! It is small enough to be covered by foot and has two major attractions...who could ask for more? All you have to do is get to the bus terminal (as I recall it was by the Estacion del Norte), buy a ticket, and you're on your way! It is a pleasant 1.5 hour drive.
Posted by: kk49827

Re: Day trips from Madrid - 05/14/01 01:09 PM

I'd also go with Segovia. There are many things to do there and you could easily spend a whole day there. The bus takes you right to the center of town and it's a very scenic ride. From the station, the Aqueduct is just south and to the north is the Cathedral and then the Alcazar.
There are also many places to dine in Segovia with both authentic Spanish and not so authentic food(Telepizza)

Good luck.
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Day trips from Madrid - 05/14/01 09:03 PM

Other than those wonderful suggestions above (I too love Segovia and Avila), what about nearby Chinchon? I love that little, old town! Sure, it's where the madrileņos go on Saturday night for dinner, but I love the town!

Also, has anyone else ever been to Siguenza? What a nice, old, little, secluded village! They have a beautiful parador and old cathedrals in this hilly town. Some good restaurants too.

Saludos, MadridMan