hemingway in madrid?

Posted by: hemingway

hemingway in madrid? - 10/01/00 01:37 PM

hi guys, does anybody know the place of hemingways's museum im madrid?
Posted by: Antonio

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/01/00 03:38 PM

I never heard of a Hemingway museum in Madrid. However, he used to go to Museo Chicote at Gran Vía, 10. I guess there might be something about him there.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com
Posted by: megia

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/05/00 03:50 PM

there's a bar right off of the plaza mayor whose doorway awning reads "hemmingway never came here." je je...

this is all i know about hemmingway in madrid!

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/05/00 07:36 PM

Actually the notice says "Hemingway never ate here".

Shawn, I've forgotten the reason why this sign is at the restaurant. Please, could you tell us?.

------------------
Posted by: rgf

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/05/00 08:04 PM

The reason that sign, Hemingway never ate here, is posted at El Cuchi is because the next door Botin IS a place Hemingway ate, and people go to Botin because of it...
Posted by: Shawn

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/05/00 09:13 PM

Antonio, rgf is correct. Hemingway had a special passion for Spain. His works on Spain are must reads.
Posted by: nicholas

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/06/00 07:12 AM

antonio,
hemingway had a very deep passion for spain. he actually owned a flat in madird and had a house in malaga. four of his most famous books are set in the country. he wrote "for whom the bell tolls" as a semi-autobiographical account of some of his experiences as a correspondant with the republicans during the civil war. both "death in the afternoon" and "dangerous summer" are detailed books about bullfighting. the sun also rises is the novel that made the fiesta de san fermin famous to non-spaniards. all of these books have prominent sections in which he talks about madrid.
the connection to the casa botin comes from "the sun also rises" and "death in the afternoon." in both novels there are scenes where the characters are eating cochinillo there. one of his short stories,"a clean well-lighted place", was actually written at botin. this is the reason for the "hemingway never ate here" sign over el cuchi. it is a little sarcastic message to the tourists. oddly i know all of this info and i'm actually not a fan of hemingway's writing. but, as they are about spain i just had to read them. its always inportant to read the works of others who have such a deep passion for the country.

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/06/00 12:48 PM

in defence of that saucey antonio, i think
he probably knows about hemingway's works and how they tie into spain... antonio knows a lot, don't kid yourself! but i think antonio was asking about that particular restaurant and why it states "hemingway never ATE here."

hemingway's works are truly splendid! i especially like for whom the bell tolls... i think i certainly would have been one of those that went to spain to fight fascism...

nice thread going here...

pd> antonio, "saucey" is not an insult, please don't take it that way...

[This message has been edited by real_megia (edited 10-06-2000).]
Posted by: Puna

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/06/00 01:59 PM

I wonder how many of us first fell in love with Spain when we read For Whom the Bell Tolls? Agree with you, Real_Megia, I too would have been with the International Brigade fighting fascism ... talk about impressionable kids! I really do think
Hemmingway turned a couple of generations on to the beauty of Spain.

The professors/teachers in the group will probably get a kick out of where this thread is headed.

[This message has been edited by Puna (edited 10-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Puna (edited 10-06-2000).]
Posted by: steveaqui

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/06/00 02:49 PM

In the Plaza de Santa Ana is the
Cerveceria Alemana a place where Hemingway went.

As for the sign: Hemingway never drank/came here.

I have always taken this as an inverted joke against the American trail in Madrid.

p.s. I also am a fan of Hemingway, especially: 'FOR Whom the Bell Tolls' but also 'Fiesta' and more so for his nobel prize piece of literature.

[This message has been edited by steveaqui (edited 10-06-2000).]
Posted by: Jen

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/06/00 02:50 PM

...speaking of the international brigades, if you haven't already, you (everyone!) must see the movie, "Ay Carmela!". It's really good. Funny,, sad, dramatic.. Check it out!

That's pretty clever of the bar next door to el botin, as I'm sure it draws lots of customers in!

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/06/00 03:24 PM

Well, Shawn did tell me about the reason but I forgot it.

Of course, I knew about Hemingway's obssesion for Spain and about his books. But what I was just asking about was the reason of the notice, as real_megia said.

BTW, just beside Botin there is a tablao flamenco which has turn out to be the cheapest tablao in Madrid, as far as I know. They charge a minimum of 800 pesetas for a drink but you don't have to pay to enter, as you have in Casa Patas or Torres Bermejas.

Regards,

Antonio

PS: real_megia, the translation I've found in my dictionary is not precisely a compliment but I guess it also have other meanings.

------------------
Posted by: Jen

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/06/00 04:06 PM

Antonio-
saucy can also mean simpatico o gracioso, y sí, ¡lo eres!
Posted by: nicholas

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/07/00 07:22 AM

"ay, carmela" is an excellent film. carlos saura always had a sense for the bitter sweet nature of stories. if all of you are so interested in the international brigades, i recommend you find the film "tierra y libertad." its about a young british communist who joins the POUM and fights on the arogonese front.

as a teacher i am certainly interested as to where this thread has led to.

antonio, did you read any of my previous post? it provides you a decent explanation as to the hemingway/botin/el cuchi sign over the door connection.
Posted by: Eddie

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/07/00 11:30 AM

There was another tavern near Plaza Callao that's specialty was Angulas. I went there with my wife's uncle around 1970 and he told me that 'Papa' Hemingway had once been one of that Tavern's 'regulars.' With all the construction that went on in that area over the past 40-years, I don't know if the place still exists. If you get to the neighborhood, ask where one can find angulas (little baby eels) and you will have found another of Hemingway's 'hangouts' in Madrid.
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/18/00 04:37 PM

This has been a pretty entertaining post so far to observe. Let me add my "dos duros":

Having had dinner at both restaurants, I know why Hemingway never ate at El Cuchi: es muy cara la cena. We visited both in the spring of 99 and had a tapas-style dinner at El Cuchi...the cochinillo I had at Casa Botín was not only less expensive but a much better dinner than El Cuchi...and I LOVE tapas. By the way, the best cochinillo in Castilla is at Mesón Candido in Segovia. That is a don't miss if you get the chance.

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/18/00 05:14 PM

¡de acuerdo! the best cochinillo you will have is in segovia!
Posted by: BBEddie

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/29/00 11:35 AM

All I can add is that Madrid itself is a Museum to Papa Hemmingway. His love for the Spanish culture was evident to all and perhaps that was exemplified mostly in the love of a city that loves to live its life to the fullest everyday. If you want a fine lunch at an elegant setting, try the Cafe Gijona, a Hemmingway Hangout and the literary center of Madrid for years, at 21 Paseo de Recoletos near the Cibeles fountain. The merluza baked in a safron broth was sensational.
I'll bet by now someone must have written a guide book with the theme of a Hemmingway Tour of Spain.
Posted by: cantabene

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/29/00 01:56 PM

I think it one of the supreme ironies of the 20th century that we were fortunate to have Franco win the Spanish Civil War.
Although most American hearts and minds were sympathetic to the Republic ( and many still are) had Franco lost, Spain would in all probability have become a Communist country, considering the depth of Soviet influence and control there during the war.

A Communist Spain would undoubtedly have made our efforts to contain Soviet Russia more difficult during the long cold war.

In the long view we seem to have been fortunate that Franco won, in spite of so much American antagonism toward him and his regime.
Cantabene

[This message has been edited by cantabene (edited 10-29-2000).]
Posted by: Balise

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/29/00 05:44 PM

Does anyone know why Hemingway liked the Spanish culture so much? When I was in Cuba, there was a lot about him there. He owned a house there, too. And at one of the hotels where he often used to stay, they've preserved the room he always rented. You can visit it now (for a fee, of course).
Posted by: Puna

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/30/00 01:52 PM

Balise - possible because Papa Hemingway had a joy de vivre - a real love of life - flamboyant and all - that far too many Americans are hesitant to express. It's a quality that prevails in Spain and throughout much of South America - can't speak for Cuba as I have never been - but this attitude coupled with being surrounded by the ocean - explains, at least in part way Hemingway loved Cuba
Posted by: Eddie

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/30/00 02:54 PM

Calibasco: You have a right to your opinion; but don't expect everyone to concur with it: IMHO (and that of many others I know), the cochinillo asado at Casa Duque (in Segovia also) is superior to Meson Candido, both in the preparation and the presentation. I have had it at both places.
BTW:
The best roast suckling pig in all of Iberia is found in the Mealhada region of Portugal. There it's called Leitao (pronounced 'lay tone').
Posted by: CaliBasco

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 10/30/00 04:26 PM

Eddie-

You're right, I can only speak about the few places I've had cochinillo...Isn't Casa Duque on the calle peatonal up towards the cathedral (walking up from the base of the acueduct)? I've never taken the opportunity to eat at Casa Duque...it'll have to wait for my next trip, when I will definitely add it to my itinerary. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I've been by it a hundred times, just never stepped in. Apparently I'm missing out ! Thanks for the tip.
Posted by: aphra

Re: hemingway in madrid? - 01/14/01 11:53 AM

OK, I'm a little late with this one--hadn't yet discovered this board when the topic was hot. But FYI, there are three Hemingway museums, all off them places where he once lived. The first is his birthplace in Illinois; the second is in Key West, Florida; and the third is in a town on the outskirts of Havana, Cuba. Nothing in Spain itself, though, as far as I know.