Itinerary for Two Weeks in November

Posted by: fauxhemian

Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/24/00 02:15 PM

I will be in Spain in the first two weeks of November, and it will be my first time there. How would you design an itinerary that begins in Barcelona and ends in Madrid? I am thinking of concentrating on southern Spain plus Madrid and some day trips around Madrid. What do people suggest?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Posted by: missmadrid98

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/24/00 02:32 PM

My advice to all people who say " i am going to spain for this amount of days and i want to see this amount of stuff" is don't try to see to much cause you don't see anything at all! Since you want to go to barcelona madrid and southern spain, spend 5 days in barcelona, 5 days in madrid, and 5 days in your city of choice in the south sevilla, granda.... so forth. if you try to see barcelona, segovia, toledo, madrid, sevilla, cordoba, granada, cadiz, and other small day trips you are not experiencing the culture, you aren't hanging out and relaxing you are on a schedule and you only see the sites, the best thing about spain is the people and hanging out in spain and relaxing and drinking a cana, you know i see so many posts and people e-mailing me about how can i see all this in this amount of time, or i want to see as much as i can in 2 weeks, and i feel so bad cause they aren't giving themselves time to chill out in one spot for like 5 days, it's like 2 days here, one day here, one day here and 2 days here, why not spend all those days in one place and really get to know and understand it and enjoy it. Spain has soooooooooooo much more to offer than sites and tourist attractions. Spain has passion, soul, and life to offer, and that my friends is the reason to go, to live and be a part of the spanish people. Don't try to pack so many sites in a trip, try to pack in as much cana, dancing, conversation, walks, food, laughter, passion in your trip to spain. Becasue there my friends you have truly discovered what that country you went to visit is all about!!!!! ole y que Vive Espana!

------------------
Spain Page!! Check it out! http://www.geocities.com/missmadrid98/homepage.html?957296168010
Posted by: rgf

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/24/00 06:22 PM

Barcelona-Madrid-Andaulsia is a wide span for 2 weeks. You don't say how you are going from barcelona to Madrid. By car, quite a trip, and you should overnite along the way. Also, as I discovered the HARD way this summer, it isn't the kilometers, it's the terrain. 100 kilometers of mountains/hills is no fun! You should figure on at least 3-4 full days in each Madrid/Barcelona. Maybe grab the AVE train to Sevilla from Madrid and spend 2 days there, too. All depends on what you want to do, but missmadrid is right: don't try to do too much. Better to remember a few places well!
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/24/00 07:29 PM

And I agree with everyone in the whole world. hehehehe.. Yeah, 2 weeks to see Barcelona, Madrid, AND Andalucía is TOO much. Sure, you can do it, but what will you really see? Okay, you'll see a lot of stuff, but you probably won't remember any of it because it went by in a blur on the way to the next thing to see.

Like missmadrid98, I hear about wanting to see these three places all the time too. My suggestion is always the same; see Madrid and Andalucía and save Barcelona for the next trip. Sure, Barcelona is GREAT and I've only visited once, but other than JUST Barcelona there isn't all that much around (okay, there's Montserrat, etc.) like there is around Madrid or ALL over Andalucía.

Why not station yourself in Madrid and get to know it very well, but also taking a few daytrips to, say, Toledo, Segovia, or/and maybe Chinchon? And then go on to Sevilla and maybe Granada OR Córdoba. I think that's plenty!

I know how tempting it is to want to see the whole country in 2 weeks, especially if you don't intend to return. But YOU WILL RETURN! You'll surely fall in love with Spain and go back and back and back again like many of us do. We can't get enough of it! Have fun!

Saludos, MadridMan

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/24/00 08:47 PM

Have to say ONNNK to Chinchon: if you want quaint, just hop over to Avila instead. The plaza in Chinchon is pretty messed up w/ that metal bullring stuff, and there is NUTTIN to do or see other than the parador, which IS great. But so is the parador in Avila! MM is right. Save Barcelona, or do Barcelona-Madrid, but don't try B-M-+Andalucia. That AVE train only takes 3 hrs to Sevilla from Madrid, and that's a good thing!

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/24/00 09:16 PM

WHAT?! ONNNK to Chinchon?? How dare you ONNNK on Chinchon! I love Chinchon! And it IS quaint! And Avila is MUCH farther! I love that little hilly, narrow streeted town of Chinchon. And its odd-shaped, balcony encircled Plaza Mayor is GREAT!! They don't have the metal bullring up all year round. And then there's the church above, looking down over the Plaza Mayor which has the original Goya painting inside (Goya's brother was a priest there). Woo! And what restaurants! Chinchon is THE place where MANY madrileños go for Friday or Saturday night dinner of cochinillo. I've had dinner there a couple of times, both times sitting on one of the 2nd level balconies with a great nighttime plaza view. Mmmm... SO nice.

Dreaming of Spain, MadridMan
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/24/00 09:23 PM

rgf,

I just wanted to point out that AVE takes between 2 hours 15 minutes and 2 hours 30 minutes.

However, AVE trains usually arrive earlier than this. They have a punctuality commitment and they will give your money back if they are more than 5 minutes late. In 6 years, they had to return money only once but I can't remember the reason for the delay.

------

To everybody,

Remember that you can fly very cheap between Madrid and Barcelona. Check Iberia, Spanair and Air Europa offers.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 08-24-2000).]

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/24/00 11:22 PM

Thanks for the responses. Actually, it so happens that I can't skip Barcelona and I must start my Spain trip there. Perhaps what I may do is visit Barcelona and Andalucia and skip Madrid this time. (I will be taking trains.)
Posted by: nicholas

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/25/00 05:07 AM

as everyone mentioned DO NOT attempt to bounce here, there and everywhere. one thing that many tourists make is the mistake of the old cliche,"i'll see this, then i'll go here, then i'll go there, etc." that's a ridiculous way of traveling. in the end how much do you actually absorb? the trip ends up being nothing more than you having the ability to say, "oh yeah i've been there." if you end up letting it manifest into that, then you've missed the point. you've completely missed the passion and the soul of spain. most importatnly you've missed just wandering with the people. its those things that make us all so crazy for this country. (course there's a million other reasons as well)
your suggestion of a barcelona-madrid-andalucia itinerary is simply too much. remember, barcelona and madrid are sperated by roughly 400 very rugged kilometers(630 miles). added to that, the closest major city in andalucia (cordoba) to madrid is close to another 420 km(260 mi) away. as everyone has said that's just too much ground to cover. you also have to take into condieration the fact that you're talking about thre very different and distinct regions of the country. something that you'll want to sit back and be coherent of. otherwise it'll all be a blur. and do remember that andalucia is a VAST province. it alone would take a few weeks to scrape the surface of.
my suggestion would be right along with madridman's. a madrid-andalucia itinerary is my best choice. however, if you are determined to visit barcelona, then i would head to madrid rather than attempting to get all the way to the south. course it is possible to travel madrid-sevilla in 2 hrs 20 mins via the AVE, but as mentioned before you'd be too pressed for time. instead head to madrid, spend several days there and venture out to its surrounding cities. you REALLY cannot miss when visiting toledo, segovia, el escorial, avila, chinchon(i'm with you on this madridman), aranjuez. as mm mentioned beyond the city itself, barcelona really has nothing else around it. furthermore its aura is far more reminiscent of france than what you'll most likely think of as spanish.
hope we help. whatever your decision is, just make sure you "feel" spain. the way you do this is just by wandering, hanging out and being with the spanish people. they make the country what it is. don't become wrapped too tightly by isolating yourself as a tourist. otherwise, you're better off being regulated to visitng museums in your hometown.

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/25/00 05:11 AM

Well, MM, each to his/her own, but you KNOW i am very familiar w/ many parts of Spain, and I gotta tell you, Chinchon was a MAJOR disappointment. THe metal bullring and the CARS parked in the DIRT plaza made it wholly unappealing. The church? littered w/ beer bottles since it is now the gathing place of the local teens. Yeah, madrilenyos go there to eat (they also go out to carretera restaurants). And it takes a while to wind down those dusty roads to CHinchon. Fine, it;s an OK pueblo, but having come from Almagro, Cuenca, Trujillo etc. I just found CHinchon a disappointment! OK, you want close and quaint? Alcala de Henares then. Cars parked in the plaza, humbug!
Posted by: El Boqueron

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/25/00 07:16 AM

Hi fauxhemian (great name!) - to return to your question after the Chinchon controversy ;-),

I think Barcelona-Andalucia is a good idea, given that you have to start in Barcelona. However, you need to think about what you want to see, what you're looking for in Andalucia. This will help you decide where you plan to arrive. It may well be that the fastest way for you to get there from Barcelona (by train) is actually via Madrid. So you'll be passing through Madrid anyway (as well as ending up there, from what you say).

I believe the main entry points (by fast train) to Andalucia from Madrid are Sevilla and Cordoba. From Cordoba the train continues (at a somewhat slower pace!) to Malaga, which is the main point of access to the south coast (Costa del Sol, de la Luz, Costa Tropical etc.) Travelling on from Malaga along the coast (east or west) is by bus only (apart from a few suburban train lines).

Andalucia (as has been mentioned) is a vast and mostly mountainous area and is the kind of place that some people dedicate a lifetime too. To make the most of your trip you need to think about what you might want to see and do. In November the days are still warm and sunny, and the light is dazzling (especially so in Almeria - one of the 8 provinces which make up Andalucia). The inland cities of Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba have the great classics of moorish and mudejar architecture, and most people make for at least one of them. One is plenty if you want to spend time just relaxing and "being there". Each has its own distinct character, but for sheer beauty of location, for me it has to be Granada. (Climb the hill of the Albaicin to Mirador San Nicholas to see the alhambra as the sun is setting, and drink the cool spring water from the font - if you feel like a spell is being cast, you're right!). Sevilla is all the exhuberant cliches of Spain and then some, but it won't feel cliched when you come up against the real thing! (ten cuidado!) Cordoba is the most "modest" of the three, with fewer tourists, full of quiet corners of sheer delight.

Apart from these classics, there are many beautiful smaller towns, and wonderful mountain villages. And then there's the much-maligned coast with ... but maybe that's for another trip!

Y Missmadrid! Ole!

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/25/00 11:30 AM

Thanks for the compliment (about my name), El Boqueron, and your helpful comments.

Your point about how traveling through madrid to get to Andalucia from Barcelona may be faster than going straight from Barcelona to Andalucia is a good one.

You raise another issue that was behind my Barcelona-Andalucia thinking -- the weather. Wouldn't it be cold in the area around Madrid in November? I thought I would spend more time in the warmer part of the country and save Madrid for some other time. What do people think?
Posted by: mimijac

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/25/00 01:32 PM

Go for the sun !!!! Forget Madrid this time...

I'm going around the same period (last of october and first week of november). I'll spend 2 nights in Madrid because my plane arrives there but then, south I go. Partly because of the weather but also because i am least interested in real big cities (although beautiful!) like Madrid. So here is my itinary: 2 night in Madrid, 1 night in Valence, 2 in Granada, 4 in Seville, 1 in Cordoue, 1 in Cacares (for the medieval atmosphere and the incredible paradore!), 1 in Tolede and 1 in Segovia.

Have a nice trip
Posted by: rere

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/26/00 03:43 PM

Hey there Faux,

I will also be in Spain this Nov., as I was last Nov. This year I'm spending 9 days in Madrid and taking two or three day trips to places I've never visited, such as Aranjuez. I'm also visiting Granada for 4 days, Ronda for 2, and Sevilla for 5.

You might consider staying in Barcelona 5 days, Madrid 7 days, and Toledo 2 days. Toledo is especially nice in November; that is, it's not crowded. If you do visit the South, I'd take the AVE down to Cordoba or Sevilla.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Madridman, You've got a super site. Just booked into Hostel Lopez for 7 nights.

Thanks.
Posted by: flojin

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 08/30/00 03:00 PM

Hey,
I'm going to Barcelona in mid-November too. It looks like it'll be pretty cold there, and I'm trying to find a small town nearby to hang out in for a few days. I might do what you're doing and shoot down to Madrid. I'm just going to Barcelona because I got a deal on flying there from New York.
flojin
Posted by: Mauceri

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 09/15/00 06:35 PM

Gee, I am going to be in Madrid in Nov (for a conference)with husband and children ages 10 and 13. We thought we would fly into Paris for a few days, visit Barcelona for 4 to 5 days and then Madrid where we must be for 5 days. I wondering now if this will be too much traveling??? Also, any ideas for things the kids might like????
Posted by: Antonio

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 09/15/00 07:27 PM

Mauceri,

You will find cheaper flight from París to Madrid than to Barcelona. Try to get good offers and fly from París -> Madrid and then Madrid -> Barcelona.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 09/15/00 07:46 PM

It COULD be ok to do all that traveling,IF costs don't matter (lots of one way planes) and if you allow at least 4 days in each city. Otherwise, Barcelona and Madrid will be MORE than enough! Kids usually like the city life as long as you don't haul them to too many museums. In November it gets dark earlier and of course is colder, but they should be OK if you spend lots of time in fun bars.restaurants, walking around in the sun in the day, flamenco, etc. The Palacio Real in Madrid is a MUST.
Posted by: Diana

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 09/15/00 10:02 PM

Hi, Maureci,

My kids are about the same ages as yours. I think it's a great age to travel. I'm sure they'll have a great time in all three places.

Here are some ideas of places to take them in Madrid.

- the Zoo / Aquarium
- the Parque de Attracciones (amusement park)
- the Prado Museum (yeah, it's all art, but it's some of the finest they'll ever see! My kids love it.)
-the Royal Palace (don't miss the amazing Armoury - big hit with kids)
-walk around the Plaza Mayor and check out the food in the windows (baby pigs, etc.)
-the Museum of Archaeology (see the copy of the Altamira caves to the left of the entrance, and their Ancient Egyptian rooms)
-There's a wax museum in the Plaza Colon, but I haven't actually been in it.
-Go rowing in the lake in the Retiro Park.
-If you can get out of the city, go to Manzanares el Real, which is very close, and tour the castle.
-And speaking of castles, try to get to Segovia, which has a magnificent one.

Have fun!
Posted by: Mauceri

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 09/16/00 07:15 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions!! This is such a great resource!

Mauceri

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 09/16/00 07:36 PM

Mauceri, you'll also find some (of the same, but some) different ideas on the TimeOut: Madrid section for kids. Hope they have a great time in Madrid!

Saludos, MadridMan
Posted by: jslamen

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 09/17/00 10:41 PM

Glad to see we're not the only family doing a couple of weeks in Spain in November; our trip is the last half of November, though. We fly in and out of Madrid, but planned to stay only a couple of days on arrival, to see museums and city life. Then it's by train to Malaga and car from there, along the coast and hill towns, catching Cordoba and Sevilla on the way back to Madrid... 11/17 'til 11/30. We thought the south would be best in Nov. If anyone has strong opinions of Malaga pro or con, please give them. We don't know whether to treat it as just a changing place, or stay a few days.
Posted by: balanceok

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 09/26/00 03:57 PM

It can be done! I agree that it will be fast, but it can be done, especially if you have a car.
Barcelona 3 days (Gerona)
Valencia 2 days
Granada 1 day (the Alhambra)
Malaga 1 day
Sevilla 3 days (enjoy the city)
Madrid 4 days (Valle de los Caidos, Segovia, Toledo, Aranjuez, Avila, Burgos)
These days would also include trips to surrounding towns and villages which I mentioned above, but these would be my core stops.
Enjoy your trip. Weather in Madrid and Barna could be cold and rainy. Further South you may get lucky.

------------------
"No other success can compensate for failure in the home."
Posted by: Natalie

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 09/26/00 05:08 PM

It would be lovely to be able to spend 5 days in each town we visit in Spain, but it isn't possible. And I've only been to Europe twice in 15 years, so there is no guarantee I'll be back in Spain very soon. That said, I'm going to see as much as I can while I'm there! (I did the same with Italy 5 years ago, and I remember it all very well and am glad I saw as much as I did.)

Anyway, our itinerary is for 15 days and also starts in Barcelona and ends in Madrid. We are flying to Barcelona & spending a few days. Then flying to Granada (to save a day of travel.) We'll spend a few days in Granada, and then rent a car. Spending 5 days in Andalucia (Nerja, Ronda - coast & mountains) then going to Seville for a few days. Then taking the AVE to Madrid to spend the last 4 days there. It is hectic, but we will make the most of our time, and get as much of the Spanish atmosphere as possible. One thing we do is pinpoint a few "must-sees" (like the Prado & the Alhambra) but not try to see every 'sight' and spend parts of each day just wandering around, sitting, eating, etc. That way, we get to see the sights that the city is famous for, and spend time soaking up the atmosphere.

Hopefully we'll be rich one day, and then we'll visit Europe (and everywhere) all the time. Then we'll have the luxury to 'sit back and relax.' But seeing places for a few days is better than not seeing them at all!
Posted by: balanceok

Re: Itinerary for Two Weeks in November - 09/29/00 02:16 PM

The trip you outlined sounds great. You will enjoy it.
Have fun!!

------------------
"No other success can compensate for failure in the home."