Caves at Ronda or Nerja--which best?

Posted by: PatM

Caves at Ronda or Nerja--which best? - 07/23/00 07:32 PM

Since our time in Espana is limited, I'd like to hear from anyone who's been to the caves -- which do you think is better? Gracias.

Pat
Posted by: davej

Re: Caves at Ronda or Nerja--which best? - 07/24/00 01:15 PM

Well, Pat, I'm biased because I live in Nerja, but the caves here are well worth visiting. It's not a guided visit - you just wander around. The stalactites and stalagmites are spectacular - absolutely huge. One of the caverns is so big that every year (this week in fact) there is a Festival of Dance and Song held in them, with an audience of around 600. Spanish National Ballet and NY City Ballet are amongst those appearing this year.
It'll take you about 90 minutes to see the caves, and there's some good walks in the immeditae area as well.
The Nerja Caves are the 3rd most-visited site in Spain (after the Prado and the Alhambra) so I guess that speaks for their popularity.
If you need to know more, eMail me!

Dave
Posted by: balanceok

Re: Caves at Ronda or Nerja--which best? - 07/29/00 11:45 PM

I agree. Given the choice, you should see the Cuevas de Nerja.
They are spectacular!!

------------------
"No other success can compensate for failure in the home."

Re: Caves at Ronda or Nerja--which best? - 07/30/00 07:51 PM

BALANCEOK, have you seen both caves? Or know of anyone who has? Unfortunately, we have time for only one, so...
Posted by: balanceok

Re: Caves at Ronda or Nerja--which best? - 08/02/00 11:34 AM

I've only seen the caves at Nerja, but I assure you they are spectacular and worth the visit.

------------------
"No other success can compensate for failure in the home."
Posted by: dmcdougle

Re: Caves at Ronda or Nerja--which best? - 08/10/00 12:07 PM

The cave at Nerja was very nice but rather touristy. We also went to the Cueva de la Pileta west of Ronda. We knew we were in for an unforgetable experience when the guide statred pumping up coleman lanters and handing them out to people.

Pileta is not as spectacular as Nerja but it has cave painting which make it worth a visit.

Re: Caves at Ronda or Nerja--which best? - 08/10/00 06:00 PM

Thanks, dmcdougle. If you had to choose one of the caves, which would it be? I've been to Luray Caverns in VA, which is pretty spectacular vis-a-vis stallagmites and stallactites and want something different.