Roman Ruins, Mérida

Posted by: admiral44

Roman Ruins, Mérida - 06/12/10 02:22 PM

One of my must-see sights for this recent visit to spain was the Roman Ruins at Mérida. I was impressed. We arrived close to mid-day and first enjoyed a menu del dia lunch at a place deeper in the town itself. Then wandered the ruins for the remainder of the afternoon. The amphitheater is more deteriorated than the theater but both are grand in scale and style. Then there are the temples, bridges, and a villa. In the villa, you find yourself walking on the mosaics which is a bit startling. Wouldn't permit that if it was my relic. Anyway, here's a video that gives an overview of what I saw.
Posted by: Pete Woodman

Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida - 06/12/10 02:59 PM

The Museum at Merida is magnificent too - well worth a visit.
Posted by: laduque

Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida - 06/12/10 06:46 PM

Thank you for posting 44~! We are planning a day trip there this summer and am interested to compare it to the Temple of Diana in Evora Portugal (Alentejo).
Posted by: esperanza

Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida - 06/13/10 09:08 AM

thank you so much for posting this video (and the others). It makes me want to go to Mérida, a place I have not visited. As a matter of fact, I am embarrassed to say that I have never been to Extremadura! How far is it from Madrid to Mérida? Laduque, you are planning a day trip from Madrid? Is that possible?
Posted by: gazpacho

Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida - 06/13/10 10:10 AM

I've made a trip to Badajoz on one visit. If I remember, I had to catch a train around seven in the morning and arrived in Badajoz around 1 p.m. I passed Merida and saw the remains of an aqueduct. I stayed overnight in Badajoz, and briefly made a trip to Portugal by taxi the next day. Well worth the visit.
Posted by: laduque

Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida - 06/14/10 01:45 AM

I will be visiting family in Extremadura the 3rd week of July. we will be in Valle del Jerte and have a car to travel around and then off to easter Portugal for 3 days. I can't wait to explore Extremadura!@
Posted by: pedmar

Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida - 06/14/10 03:56 AM

great souvenir, thanks for posting these videos.
Posted by: blueterrier

Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida - 06/22/10 04:50 AM

Did you go down to the Roman Circus just slightly out of town, this was where they held the chariot races, very impressive track and the terracing is still clearly visible, close youe eyes and its Ben hur all over again
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: Roman Ruins, Mérida - 06/25/10 08:53 AM

I too have enjoyed a day-visit to Mérida. The area of the ruins is great but the city itself is not interesting at all. The ancient photos of the reconstruction of the ruins is fascinating, how they rebuilt the structures, etcetera. HOW DID THEY KNOW HOW TO DO IT? The museum is good too. Didn't have time to visit - or didn't know about - the Roman Circus out of town. Ruin of the aqueduct is pretty cool too.

The site, if I remember correctly, is similar to that of Granada's Alhambra in that it's an enclosed park, you pay admission and there are lots of tourists but worth the visit.

Saludos, MadridMan