To book or not to book - Bus Madrid to Valencia

Posted by: Jo-Anne

To book or not to book - Bus Madrid to Valencia - 07/18/07 11:19 AM

Hi

I'm asking this on behalf of someone else.

Travelling from Madrid to Valancia via bus on 3 August (back 7 August) - can anyone advise as to whether it's advisable to book the ticket beforehand, or whether it's possible to simply turn up at the station and buy one?

Which is the best station to go from? I think there are two stations that buses leave from, one of which has an hourly service.

Auto-Res
Conde de Casal has the hourly service I think - is this the best one to aim for?

Thanks for your help.

Jo
Posted by: Valenciano_en_Madrid

Re: To book or not to book - Bus Madrid to Valencia - 07/18/07 12:08 PM

Hi Jo-Anne,

The only bus company operating the route Madrid-Valencia is Auto-Res and the only station to take their buses in Madrid is Conde de Casal situated in Calle Fernández Shaw, nº1. The metro line is number 6 Conde de Casal station.

Auto-Res has services to Valencia City every hour from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
They have special service called express, it isn't faster despite its name but the seats are much bigger and comfortable.

I don't think it's necessary to have a reservation unless you are going to travel a friday evening in the summer, like you are going to do.

My advice though is not to travel by bus fridays from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the summer. There are terrible traffic jams to leave Madrid and your trip could take up to one hour and half longer. You will have to suffer the same traffic jams to return to Madrid every sunday evening.

In your case I'd rather go by train (allways on time). The trip takes 3 hours 20 minutes (40 min. less than the bus). The problem with the train is that you must have a reservation at least one week earlier to make sure that you'll get a ticket on a friday.

Have fun in my home city.

Re: To book or not to book - Bus Madrid to Valencia - 07/18/07 12:16 PM

Thank you so much Damian - that's really helpful.

Unfortunately, it's not me going to Valencia this time, but someone else.

One day I really really hope I can visit and, when that day comes, I will probably pester you for more information wink

Thanks again.

Jo

Re: To book or not to book - Bus Madrid to Valencia - 07/18/07 12:20 PM

You're wellcome Jo.

If you are going to travel to Valencia in the future do it directly from England by plane, a flight from UK is cheaper than a bus trip from Madrid.

Bye

Re: To book or not to book - Bus Madrid to Valencia - 07/18/07 12:26 PM

Hi Damian

Yes, I would do that. Fly directly to Valencia.

The person who is travelling is spending time in Madrid before and after Valencia on this occasion.

I wish I was going frown

But I will one day cool

Thanks again.

Jo
Posted by: Eddie

Re: To book or not to book - Bus Madrid to Valencia - 07/19/07 04:09 AM

First week of August and heading for the Coast: I would book in advance, if possible. I'm pretty sure the Expres service requires advance reservations - Bus Companies will generally hold your reservation until 90-min before departure, at which time they are released

Re: To book or not to book - Bus Madrid to Valencia - 07/19/07 04:15 PM

Hi Eddie,

Auto-Res has 17 services a day from wich 10 are Express and 7 are Normal.
So I don't think you will not have any problem unless you are traveling on a friday, the last day of July or the first of August.
People leave Madrid en masse those days for weekend or for the August holidays.
Anyway you can make a reservation online, even you can buy the ticket with a credit card.
Here is the link:

www.auto-res.net

Enjoy your holiday