AVE/high speed updates

Posted by: admiral44

AVE/high speed updates - 02/25/07 05:27 PM

Which cities are now served by AVE or another high speep system. When I was last in Spain, Sept 06, it was Seville, and Toledo, and... not sure.

Can anyone update?

Gracias.
Posted by: Torrales

Re: AVE/high speed updates - 02/26/07 06:46 AM

High-speed lines currently on duty:

Madrid-Tarragona, with intermediate stops in Guadalajara, Calatayud, Zaragoza, Lerida/Lleida. Also, there is an operative branch Zaragoza-Huesca.

Madrid-Seville], with intermediate stops in Ciudad Real, Puertollano, Cordoba. Also, there is an operative branch Cordoba-Antequera.

Madrid-Toledo

High-speed lines (or legs) that will open in less than 12 months:

In the Northeast line, Tarragona-Barcelona
In the Southern line, Antequera-Malaga
The North/Northwest line, leg Madrid-Valladolid, with intermediate stop in Segovia.

There are many more routes either under construction or project phase.

Re: AVE/high speed updates - 03/21/07 05:39 AM

For those interested, I have found an amazing report made by the MIT about the high-speed railways in Spain. You can read it here .

As it was written back in Nov'06 it is slightly out-of-date and it doesn't include the last openings Cordoba-Antequera and Lleida-Tarragona but, apart of that, it gives a fantastic overview on the current and future situation of the high-speed rail in Spain.

As an appetizer, here you have the map as of Nov'06 (now, the two legs above should be turned into blue; Antequera is the intermediate point where the line to Granada starts):
Posted by: MadridMan

Re: AVE/high speed updates - 03/21/07 05:59 AM

Wow, Torrales. You're the best. It's so nice to have a Spain Transportation expert here in our midst. Really. We all thank you very very much. thumbsup

With appreciation, MadridMan smile

Re: AVE/high speed updates - 03/21/07 09:29 AM

My pleasure, MadridMan. smile

I love this transportation topic, and I think that my knowledge can be useful for those who come to Spain and want to move inside the country. Sometimes, questions kind of "what's the best/cheapest/fastest way to go from... to...?" are not easily find in the Internet by someone lacking previous experience onsite.
Posted by: pedmar

Re: AVE/high speed updates - 03/21/07 11:25 AM

yeah really that is nice good info and the map is awesome.thanks Torrales.